• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

October - What are you Reading?

GlassJaw

Hero
Finally finished Goblet of Fire this weekend. Man, that was a bear to get through. Seriously, I could have read the first 3 chapters and the last 3 chapters and would have pretty much had the whole story.

Order of the Phoenix, here I come! :\

Lazybones

Adventurer
Mark said:
That rocks! It's nice having what amounts to a much larger library, doesn't it?
Interlibrary Loan and Amazon.com are the two greatest things to happen to books since covers, in my admittedly self-serving opinion. :) Of course, if it wasn't for the former, the latter would rapidly empty my wallet even as it overflowed my bookshelves.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
This weekend I read "Servant of the Bones" by Anne Rice. And "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr. I really enjoyed the Alienist. It's a thriller/mystery set in 1896 New York. Very detailed and vivid.

Earlier this month I read the Dexter trilogy by Jeff Lindsay. First two were good, but I really didn't like the third. No spoilers, but if you read it, prepare to block it from your mind- like how you forget the sequels to the Matrix.

Tolen Mar

First Post
Picked up "No Country for Old Men", based on reccomendations here. Not my cup of tea I must say.

I'm now in book two of the Camulod chronicles, "The Singing Sword." Jack Whyte is quickly becoming one of my new favorite authors.

Wombat

First Post
Tolen Mar said:
I'm now in book two of the Camulod chronicles, "The Singing Sword." Jack Whyte is quickly becoming one of my new favorite authors.

Whyte'll never do it for me -- he knowledge of history is too superficial and his voyeuristic, constantly condemning sex scenes border on the ridiculous; still, he is quite popular.

I've taken a break from anything serious whatsoever -- I am gobbling up some P.G. Wodehouse short stories. :)

Tolen Mar

First Post
Sitting here in the library the other day, I saw that John Scalzi had another book 'The Andriods Dream." Had to put in a request, it arrived this morning.

I can't wait. I guess it means I'll have to renew my other books in a few days...

BadMojo

First Post
Jubilee said:
Bad Mojo - did you read Blue Moon Rising first?

/ali

I just started off with "Hawk and Fisher". Blue Moon Rising is about their exploits up North before coming to Haven, right?

I'll probably read it at some point. I still have mixed feelings about Green's writing. The characterization is really good since halfway through the first book I have a really good feel for who the characters are. The anachronistic dialogue doesn't bother me but the writing just seems a bit clunky at times. Oh, Hawk seems to "glare" at things an awful lot. Could be something to due with his lack of depth perception. ;)

Jubilee

First Post
Yah, Blue Moon Rising is their story before they "became" Hawk and Fisher. It's an interesting contrast. With "Beyond the Blue Moon" afterwards, they make good bookends to the Hawk and Fisher tales, imo.

Anyway, I'm not always excited by Green's writing style, but I always enjoyed BMR, H&F, and BBM enough that the story carried me through when the style didn't. I can't say the same of the Deathstalker series.. However, I do like his Nightside books.

/ali

thelettuceman

First Post
The Satanic Bible and The Devil's Notebook by Anton LaVay. Trying to, at least. I haven't been able to find time for them yet.

Waiting for Martin's new book to come out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads