[October] What Are You Reading?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Thorntangle said:
Just finished: Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Funny -- so did I. Last night after Angel, in fact, I borrowed my brother's copy of Coraline and read it. And may I just say GAAAAAAH!

Tremendous book.
Daniel

Justinian

First Post
I just finished Monstrous Regiment this morning, actually. It was good, but a little uneven to me. I didn't like it as much as, say, Night Watch, although that's probably because I'm a huge Vimes fan.

Also finished today was Tong Lashing, the third book by Peter David about Sir Apropos of Nothing. I'm kind of losing my interest in these books. The first one, logically titled Sir Apropos of Nothing, I found to be a great book. The main character is a cynical bitter antihero who has terrible luck. Or really good luck, I suppose, depending on your viewpoint. The series has gone downhill, though, and the Anthony Curse of Puns(tm) is starting to take hold.

Not technically in October, but last week I read Paladin of Souls and Dragon Venom, both of which I had been eagerly awaiting for about a year now. Paladin of Souls is by Lois McMaster Bujold, and is the sequel to The Curse of Chalion. While I don't think it's as strong as the first book, Paladin is still a good read, and has some truly fascinating bits in it. Dragon Venom completes Lawrence Watt-Evans's Obsidian Chronicles trilogy, and is possibly the best book in it. He wraps up the ending well, and if you read the previous books, Dragon Weather and Dragon Society, make sure to grab this one.

Partway through Digital Knight, by Ryk E. Spoor, better known to members of rec.arts.sf.written and rec.games.frp.dnd as Sea Wasp. He might even post on the ENWorld boards, I'm not sure. This is a good book, somewhat in the vein of the Harry Dresden books I and others have praised before, but with a mundane (albeit technologically gifted) as the detective. It's in paperback, and definitely worth the price. I'll have this finished by tonight, as it's keeping my attention well.

Partway through Dykstra's War, by Jeffery D. Kooistra. It hooked me in the first chapter when I glanced through at the bookstore, as the protagonist of the title solves a 4-D physics problem by visualizing it in his head. He's the Einstein of the 21st century, and Earth has discovered aliens. As this is an sf novel in the old style, it's time to make war. Looks good so far.

On deck: Sawyer's Hybrids, Connie Willis's Doomsday Book, and Greg Keyes's new Star Wars book.

This reminds me to plug, again, The Briar King by Keyes. If you like epic fantasy, you need to read this book. The linguistic and historical elements that Keyes writes into his plot are incredible. The second book should be out around the New Year or so. It's one of the best books I've read all year.

Krug

Newshound
Hannibal by Thomas Harris. Yes I know taken me a while to get round to it. Already much better than the movie.

Decado

First Post
I am just about finished with the Warhammer Fantasy novel Giantslayer by William King. After I have finished reading it I will mostly likely start reading Rover by Mel Odem.

Decado

pogre

Legend
Just finished Ben Franklin a biography by Edmund Morgan. Not bad.

Working on A History of Britain by Simon Schamm. Most amusing.

dave_o

Explorer
I just finished Mysterious America: Revised by Loren Coleman, and can't go outside without looking over my shoulder anymore. :D Any of you who read about "door-thumper" from the supernatural encounters thread understand why.

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Yeah, I hadn't read A Song of Ice and Fire. Sorry. :D

MarauderX

Explorer
drnuncheon said:
How to Be Good by Nick Hornby

A warning: take it back to the library right now. I was sorely disappointed in this book a while back and I don't think I will read another thing by him.

Otherwise I finished up 1000 orcs (see the thread in this forum).
Lamb by Christopher Moore was great fun and a quick read, I highly recommend it if you have ever been forced to go to Sunday School.
I started the tetralogy Dawn of the New Sun written back in 1980 or so, and I forget who it is by, but I think that will carry me for some time.

edit: Remembered author's name - Gene Wolfe, a mechanical engineer from TX.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
MarauderX said:
A warning: take it back to the library right now. I was sorely disappointed in this book a while back and I don't think I will read another thing by him.

Hmm. Did you read either High Fidelity or About a Boy? I read the former after seeing the movie, and thought it was a scream.

J

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
MarauderX said:
Huh. Different strokes, I guess -- I read it over Christmas at my mom's house last year and quite enjoyed it. It's not a plotty book, much more about characters and about the prose itself, but it's quite readable and interesting.

Daniel

Remove ads