Odd wizard question.

Kristivas

First Post
In 2nd edition (I think), wizards gained experience for researching new spells. Do they in 3.5e? I can't find examples of such anywhere.

Arnwyn

First Post
No, they do not.

(Nothing stopping the DM from house-ruling such a thing, though; or maybe attaching a CR to it, thus resulting in experience. That would be the 'ad hoc' experience awards part...)

glass

(he, him)
Kristivas said:
In 2nd edition (I think), wizards gained experience for researching new spells. Do they in 3.5e? I can't find examples of such anywhere.
No. There re not class specific awards in D&D anymore. Everyone gets XP for 'overcoming challenges'.

glass.

Kristivas

First Post
I know this isn't a 'house rules' thread, but would anyone have suggestions for such? I really used to like having my wizard gain a little exp whenever he researched or created a spell.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I can see awarding XPs for researching spells as a little bit of a bonus, but not too large of one. I think 100 XP per spell level is probably a bit too high (the suggested 500 xp per spell level of 2nd edition is way too high for 3E's more forgiving advancement tables). You generally want something like this to be a side-line of gaining XPs and not a major source.
I think 50 XPs per spell level is probably decent.

werk

First Post
Heh, you could make them buy new spells with xp. 1 day, 100gp, and 100xp per level of the spell.

May prevent a wizard from scribing every spell, but still make research available. Adjust the numbers as you see fit.

Kristivas

First Post
werk said:
Heh, you could make them buy new spells with xp. 1 day, 100gp, and 100xp per level of the spell.

May prevent a wizard from scribing every spell, but still make research available. Adjust the numbers as you see fit.

I always saw wizards as growing stronger with the more magic they learn, not becoming 'drained' as such when creating magic items and the like.

werk

First Post
Kristivas said:
I always saw wizards as growing stronger with the more magic they learn, not becoming 'drained' as such when creating magic items and the like.

'Tis your prerogative, but I think that gaining the learned spell is a HUGE reward for a wizard. So much a reward that it should carry a burden similar to creating magic items. Else, every wizard would research every spell ever printed even if they didn't want the spell, just for the xp...and get double rewards, right?

Edit: On the flip-side of that argument, wizards really get the rub when compared to other casters (IMHO) so maybe rewarding research, be it for spells or anything else, should be awarded by the DM.

To reward research I assign 25xp per level of spell researched - of course the research carries quite a bit of penalty itself and shouldn't be easy. Research is a lenghty project of trail and error, heavy on the error part. By way of example, the closest thing to true magical research done in the past 100 years would be the A-bomb. How dangerous, they failed on multiple occasions had lots of equipment failures and one catastrophic failure that resulted in the near immediate death of one researcher and thre other assistants being poisoned by rads enough for some serious health issues.

Spell research goes along the same lines as the magic shop in my mind, there is no wizard churning out spells at the rate of one per day anymore than there is a shop with 62 priceless magic swords hanging on the wall. But that's an opinion call. If there is an option to fail, there should be a decent reward, if there is no real challenge, there should be no reward.

irdeggman

First Post
Awarding xp for researching a spell is fundamentally against the core 3.0/3.5 concepts.

What I mean is that 2nd ed rewarded for individual actions (not just role-playing) while 3.0/3.5 rewards for team behavior.

This is IMO one of the best things about the new D&D. No more competing with other players. It encourages players to work together to overcome things and not be out for themselves.

If you start to reward for spell research then you might as well start rewarding rogues for stealing (including from other PCs) and fighters for killing (individual awards) and spellcasters for casting spells.

Nope it is a bad idea to start to reward individual characters by class.

Players should be rewarded for role-playing and that is the individual award - everything else should be based on getting the group to work better as a team and not be competative.

Remove ads