• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oddball Accessories

Tinner

First Post
I am a sucker for gaming accessories. Give some quirky but useful add-on product for gaming and I get all goofy and start using it at every opportunity.
What do I mean?

Things like Steel Sqwire's spell templates, Fiery Dragon's Battlebox, etc. Things that aren't games in and of themselves, but make games better.

What products like this do you use, and what kind of product like this are you still waiting for someone to make?

Crothian

First Post
Tact tiles, spell templates and battle boxes you mentioned, the spell effect minatures that MAgnificent Egoes puts out....

derbacher

Explorer
Steel Squire spell templates.

The 1" diameter colored magnets from Alea Tools.

Dundjinni full color printed maps. (Oh, my aching ink cartridges!)

Counter Collection Digital from Fiery Dragon.

Red Viper

First Post
-I went cheep and made myself wire templates for spell effects.
-What I didn't go cheap on was our gaming table. a 4x8 table with a clear acrylic, surface to use dry erase markers, with 1x1 grids cut into the whole surface below the acrylic and edge to keep dice from rolling off and legs with shelving built in them to keep our books and such.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Red Viper said:
-I went cheep and made myself wire templates for spell effects.
-What I didn't go cheap on was our gaming table. a 4x8 table with a clear acrylic, surface to use dry erase markers, with 1x1 grids cut into the whole surface below the acrylic and edge to keep dice from rolling off and legs with shelving built in them to keep our books and such.
I assume the acrylic table was made yourself? Have pictures, Its always nice to dream.

We use clear lexan tiles with grids cut into the underside. Works with wet and dry erase.

I hate the character sheet books, but everyone else in the group uses them.

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Emoticards, Expressions on a Stick!

Made by yours truly, these are small cards with various expressions in thought bubbles. There are some smileys, and punctuation symbols like ?, !, and @$%&!. The backs of the cards have languages on them. The set includes all the languages in the PHB, and the cards fit on a little stick. Sometimes, nothing expresses a feeling for your character better than holding up a little sign that reads "WTF?!" I made them just for fun, but the other players in my group think's they're pretty neat.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Every time those Magnificent Egos minis come up, I have to go to the site and look at them and drum my fingers.

Oh, how I would love that pack of spiritual weapons.
And the Evard's Black Tentacles.
And the Flaming Sphere.

And the Tenser's Floating Disk might also make a more stylish stand for flying creatures than an overturned dice box.

--fje

scourger

Explorer
derbacher said:
Counter Collection Digital from Fiery Dragon.

CCD is a great tool. I use it to make 3D counters. I have also scanned and downloaded pictures to make counters. For this, a ream of cardstock paper is invaluable--it's great for other things, too, like DM screen panels. Of course, my all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax is the tool for it and poster-printing tactiacal-scale maps.

I've used an easel pad with 1-inch grid for large-scal maps to use with miniatures when the scale is important for all my 5-foot-stepping, checker-board-counting players. Handy for pre-drawing many maps or one big one connected together.

I use an end roll of newsprint from my local paper to draw tactical maps when I don't want the game to focus on 5-foot-stepping and checker-board-counting movement in combat. Handy for drawing on the table without worrying about clean up or what a spill may do to the game. Great surface for painting minis, too.

I also use a dice tray. I bought it after a series of fumbles on an uneven rolling surface. I think I can make a better one like a bok, but I just haven't done it yet. I don't know if it would sell, but there were some dice boxes at GenCon this year that I wonder how they did.

Remove ads