Of Mooks, Plot Armor, and ttRPGs

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
We need some other tool to talk about this, because you're describing things in terms of competition, when that's just not relevant, and I honestly kind of resent being presented as Spike when I'm closer to Johnny. The interesting thing was that the players got to make a decision and see the outcome. If there was a 1 in 8 chance of total success and that's the universe we live in... That's fine? The game is unbounded, there's more choices. You can't have an interesting game without a reliable board state, and if that's a possibility, it is what it is.
OK, let's switch to another hypothetical.

There's this Dark Lord of Dark Darkness, who was foreshadowed within the game, and on top of that, the GM has been relentlessly dropping out of game teasers for the last few weeks, posting an artwork here, a blurred statblock there, a dramatic music track, all that.

The hype train is real and the players are excited for the grand battle that will test every single skill they've learned along the game. They can already taste the salt of their sweat in the air, picturing, how tough and cool the challenge is gonna be, how they are gonna need to operate as a single cohesive unit, and how hard their asses will be kicked for a slightest mistake.

They arrive at the entrance, bloodthirsty smiles are forming up on their faces with each word the GM utters about broken and mangled corpses of all the previous fools who tried to challenge the Dark Lord.

And then the battle starts, and they completely wipe the floor with the guy before he even got to make his turn. They won. Hooray?

Maybe the game will continue. Maybe there will be more choices, more challenges, more exciting gameplay, but here and now, they wish that GM will describe how the real Dark Lord appears, slowly clapping, amused that they thought they've won and proclaim how he will cut them down, make them apart, spray the gore of their profane forms across the stars, grind them down until the very sparks cry for mercy, how his hands shall relish ending them here! and! now! so the real battle can begin

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
and I honestly kind of resent being presented as Spike when I'm closer to Johnny
I apologize if I misrepresented your position, but I'm unfamiliar with the characters you mentioned. Can you clear this up a bit, so I can refrain from wrong assumptions down the line?

pemerton

Legend
A comment just on this: choosing Stealth rather than Persuasion, or vice versa, seems like it might affect what the consequence is, which might in turn affect what action declarations at what sorts of difficulties are then feasible.
This is where simulation is useful, because it would require those make specific function calls. If those were separate actions, that invoked separate mechanics, I would have insight into the board state that would emerge, and could thus push a specific line of play. If it's an undefined function of story, I can't in ludic terms do that, and must stop playing the game to do something else until I can return to playing the game thereafter, though I struggle to view disconnected choices with an unknowable board state between them as decisions in the same game. It's the difference between a choose your own adventure novel and moving a playing piece on two separate turns.
You seem to be proposing that the list of available actions (imagine an action here includes not just the player declaration, but the possible consequences of that declaration) should be assembled each turn by consulting the fictional state for inspiration. I contend all possible actions on all possible board states should be specified before the game begins, and the fiction should be inspired by evaluating the set of actions which are available in the current board from turn to turn.
No RPG satisfies your desiderata, or could do so, as best I can see.

Even Keep on the Borderlands, which has a rather narrowly circumscribed fiction, involves making choices about whether or not to recruit certain NPCs as allies, which can have various sorts of implications for the subsequent range of possible action declarations.

Assuming for the moment one of the simplest SC structure that gets brought up, let's propose the players will succeed if they get 3 success before 3 failures, they will all roll at least once, and a list of skills that are applicable with the appropriate Easy, Medium and Hard DCs are laid out. Currently, the game is trivial, based on comparing player's modifiers and the available skill checks to determine the most statistically likely outcome.
What if the goal is to have a particular PC make a good impression? Is this better done by having that PC speak first? Or another PC speak as their herald? Or something else, which may leverage a different range of PC capacities?

These choices aren't trivial.

We need some other tool to talk about this, because you're describing things in terms of competition, when that's just not relevant, and I honestly kind of resent being presented as Spike when I'm closer to Johnny. The interesting thing was that the players got to make a decision and see the outcome. If there was a 1 in 8 chance of total success and that's the universe we live in... That's fine? The game is unbounded, there's more choices. You can't have an interesting game without a reliable board state, and if that's a possibility, it is what it is.

I think you're missing my point. Go is a game with a single action and 361 objects that can be interacted with. The rules can be printed on an index card, and it has a number of board states that is so far outside of the human capacity to consider quantity as to be meaningless. We play games written in books.

It's not at all hard for those books to turn the phrase "a 10 ft high hewn stone wall across a 7 ft pit too dark to see the bottom of" into upwards of 50 declarable actions before asking for more detail or clarification on the situation. All possible board states is a vast and ridiculous territory already.

I think the GM should ideally be engaged in creation, and making decisions for NPC actors. Resolution is an impartial function of the mechanics.
How many pages is this book?!?!?! I gotta cast my lot in with @Lanefan on this one!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
OK, let's switch to another hypothetical.

There's this Dark Lord of Dark Darkness, who was foreshadowed within the game, and on top of that, the GM has been relentlessly dropping out of game teasers for the last few weeks, posting an artwork here, a blurred statblock there, a dramatic music track, all that.

The hype train is real and the players are excited for the grand battle that will test every single skill they've learned along the game. They can already taste the salt of their sweat in the air, picturing, how tough and cool the challenge is gonna be, how they are gonna need to operate as a single cohesive unit, and how hard their asses will be kicked for a slightest mistake.

They arrive at the entrance, bloodthirsty smiles are forming up on their faces with each word the GM utters about broken and mangled corpses of all the previous fools who tried to challenge the Dark Lord.

And then the battle starts, and they completely wipe the floor with the guy before he even got to make his turn. They won. Hooray?
Yes, legitimate hooray! Big cheers all round, and many sighs of relief as well: "We don't die today, people; so let's loot this place and go home!"

Even better if after all that buildup the Dark Lord of Dark Darkness turns out to be just a little 5-hit-point Goblin blessed with immense intelligence and a hell of a marketing team. You know, the whole Wizard of Oz "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" thing. :)

And then you can turn around and set up the Darker Lord of Invincible Darkerness and neither the players nor characters will know what to expect...which is what makes things interesting.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think you're missing my point. Go is a game with a single action and 361 objects that can be interacted with. The rules can be printed on an index card, and it has a number of board states that is so far outside of the human capacity to consider quantity as to be meaningless.
Infinite number of board states but nowhere near an infinite number of actions: the rules clearly dictate how and where you can place a piece and there's only [a fixed number where I don't know its value] places on the board where a piece can be put.
We play games written in books.
RPGs have both infinite board states AND infinite possible actions within each one. Good luck writing all those out. :)
It's not at all hard for those books to turn the phrase "a 10 ft high hewn stone wall across a 7 ft pit too dark to see the bottom of" into upwards of 50 declarable actions before asking for more detail or clarification on the situation.
So, 50 declarable actions for one specific board state, multiplied by all the possible board states, gives..... ?
All possible board states is a vast and ridiculous territory already.
Exactly, so what's the point in trying to codify them?
I think the GM should ideally be engaged in creation, and making decisions for NPC actors. Resolution is an impartial function of the mechanics.
I agree with this; but I'm not sure how it arises out of trying to shoehorn [all possible actions plus all possible board states] into a codified whole...unless your goal is to somehow achieve always-on predictability and-or always-known odds of potential outcomes; a goal which I just can't support.

Side note: it might be just me, but even the phrase "board state" implies what's to me a rather unusual approach to RPG play.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I apologize if I misrepresented your position, but I'm unfamiliar with the characters you mentioned. Can you clear this up a bit, so I can refrain from wrong assumptions down the line?
Spike, Johnny, and Timmy are three types of hypothetical Magic the Gathering players. Spike is out to win at any cost, and I forget which is which between the other two - one just casual-plays for fun and the other, I think, wants to try cool combos even if they're sub-optimal. The designers intentionally try to (or used to, anyway) include cards in each set that will specifically appeal to each of these player types perhaps even to the exclusion of the other two.

niklinna

satisfied?

Yes, legitimate hooray! Big cheers all round, and many sighs of relief as well: "We don't die today, people; so let's loot this place and go home!"

Even better if after all that buildup the Dark Lord of Dark Darkness turns out to be just a little 5-hit-point Goblin blessed with immense intelligence and a hell of a marketing team. You know, the whole Wizard of Oz "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" thing. :)

And then you can turn around and set up the Darker Lord of Invincible Darkerness and neither the players nor characters will know what to expect...which is what makes things interesting.
I'm pretty good with that, but I am less of a gamist than some. So the proper response is, it's likely not going to please the people @loverdrive is talking about.

Pedantic

Legend
@AbdulAlhazred I did read through all that, but I don't think it's worth starting massive quotes back and forth, I think my earlier summation of how that conversation would go remains true. This is the only section where I think you pointed out a mechanic I didn't address that has some potential to improve the SC gameplay:
Finally every SC has consequences, both for individual failures, and for overall failure. In the case of the example of a C1 challenge, probably there's just a straightforward consequence for overall failure, but individual check failures COULD have some consequence. One option is to reduce the reward for success, or introduce a complication that follows.
Adding individual failure options to skill checks does lead to non-trivial decisions, and would allow you to press more than one optimization case. It is precisely the need to write unique failure conditions for each instance you call for a SC that I would describe as "designing a custom game" however.

Yeah, @niklinna and @Lanefan got it right, though I actually think my late night usage isn't particularly clear. Your post focused on "winning" the encounter as the salient point, when the payoff I'm proposing has very little to do with the victory itself, so much as whether the board state was honest and I had the potential to try and advance a specific case.

It feels like you're focused on a concern about randomness running a solid risk of producing pretty garbage board states when it's not properly used in game design? Which I agree with, honestly. I frankly tend to prefer games with no randomness beyond setup, or strong mitigation or long enough play times to drive down variability and so on outside of TTRPGs. I just think it's a second-order concern. Like, in your examples, it sounded like you were proposing a new magic circle in the middle of the TTRPG, wherein a sleuthing game, or a climactic battle game would be played, and those would be separate games from the game being played before and should be considered as designs in their own right to produce satisfying results.

I'm making a case that the whole thing should be the one game, the whole time, and that snipping out a smaller segment and asking if that sub-game was interesting is missing the forest for the trees, because it's still part of the broader whole. The reward for a good plan is the plan working well, and if you're playing a game with a ton of variance, then sometimes it's going to work out to produce a stupid board state, but that's kind of fine if everyone knew that going in, or maybe a reminder that randomness is dangerous and we're probably too liberal with it in TTRPGs as it is.

Infinite number of board states but nowhere near an infinite number of actions: the rules clearly dictate how and where you can place a piece and there's only [a fixed number where I don't know its value] places on the board where a piece can be put.

RPGs have both infinite board states AND infinite possible actions within each one. Good luck writing all those out. :)

So, 50 declarable actions for one specific board state, multiplied by all the possible board states, gives..... ?

Exactly, so what's the point in trying to codify them?
My point was that a very small number of actions can produce staggeringly vast quantities of board states, and RPGs don't have a small number of actions. You can combine a basic skill system and general rules for object interactions into a ton of action choices, thus that your earlier criticism, that a GM serves no purpose is silly. You don't have to write that many rules to exceed the play space of most games.

My next point, using the short description of a wall, was that a simple description of a board state in a TTRPG creates an absurd amount of available actions. Between just the jump, climb, attack, object interaction and reach rules, before you start including PC special techniques, there's an absurd array of available action declarations that can all be resolved with a known, referenceable set of rules.
I agree with this; but I'm not sure how it arises out of trying to shoehorn [all possible actions plus all possible board states] into a codified whole...unless your goal is to somehow achieve always-on predictability and-or always-known odds of potential outcomes; a goal which I just can't support.
Unless they are physically unknowable, in that players do not have information about them, then yes, I absolutely think that. The whole point of the rules is to present that information to players. They should know (or be able to know) how the rules work. Ideally, they should be able to intuit reasonable courses of play even if they don't.
Side note: it might be just me, but even the phrase "board state" implies what's to me a rather unusual approach to RPG play.
I'm pretty intentionally leaning into "these are games, here's what makes games interesting" to make my point here.

Remove ads