Of Thieves, Noble and the Righteous

Erland

First Post
Dog45, I'll probably need your help on the corruption path. I'm interested in your predator path, but suspect that it won't be too appropriate; Philippe's practice is more of a rejection of the role of prey (hits too close to home) rather than any real identification with the role of predator. What first comes to my mind is more of a revenge path - someone who's so sensitive to any slight (real or perceived) that he has to have revenge, no matter what the cost (a total obsession with getting "justice"). At least at first, revenge can be served cold; the end stage might be instantaneous rage at any offense.

I'm still tweaking the numbers, but the character will be 4th level Rogue, 2nd level Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior), 1st level Fighter, 1st level Duelist. I should be able to finalize everything by tomorrow.

burnout02urza

First Post
Hmmm...I was thinking of playing the role of 'the Noble' for this game; My initial idea is an extremist Inquisitor-Paladin, one slowly growing more and more worried at the increasing ambiguity of the world around him...And thus causing him to compensate with increasing harshness, as he strives to reshape his world according to his (rather narrow) views.

Alternatively, a reluctant Witch-Hunter...Who has discovered that he's actually gaining clerical powers.

Along the same lines, the Path of Corruption would show an increasing detachment from conventional reality, in pursuit of perfect Order- Basically, straying from 'Good' to 'Law', with the final stage making the character either a bloody-handed messiah, or a complete drone.

dog45

First Post
[sblock=Erland]
The Path of Revenge
None of your gifts work against Innocents. The Charisma penalities stack, but don't apply to any Curse checks you may make. If you had a 16 CHA and now it's a 14, you still get the +3 bonus on your Curses checks.

Step 1: True Strike 1/day // Can only target someone who has injuried or insulted you.

Step 2: Voice of Wrath feat // Your voice turns dry and scratchy, -2 Cha

Step 3: Rage 1/day (as the spell) // Paranoia Madness effect

Step 4: Detect Thoughts 3/day // Evil alignment when planning or taking revenge, -2 Cha

Step 5: Slay Living 1/day // -4 Wis, -2 Cha

The idea behind this Path is that you can avoid using the gifts by changing your behavior, but the character probably won't. I put the 'no Innocents' clause in there as a target for your Paranoia.
[/sblock]

burnout02urza: I like the Paladin idea. I can easily see such a devoted person going over the edge. However, it seems like a better fit for the Righteous slot. What about the character do you think makes him fit Noble better?

Also, I extended the deadline till next monday to allow people more time to submit characters.

burnout02urza

First Post
(Gah, I meant 'The Righteous'. Here's my character; I've striven to include the bonuses from his magic items, but feel to double-check if I miss anything.)

Christopher Van Edefelt

Male Human Fighter 2 / Paladin 6

Lawful Good

Representing burnout02urza

Strength (14) 16 (+2) + 1
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 16 (+3)
Size: Medium
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 210 lb
Skin: Pale
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Light Brown; Straight; Beardless

Total Hit Points: 81

Speed: 30 feet (40 ft With Full Plate/ Boots Of Striding & Springing)

Armor Class: 20 = 10 + 9 [full plate] +1 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 11

Flat-footed: 19

Initiative modifier: +1 = +1 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: +13 = 8 [base] +2 [constitution] +3 [paladin charisma]

Reflex save: +6 = 2 [base] +1 [dexterity] +3 [paladin charisma]

Will save: +6 = 2 [base] +1 [wisdom] +3 [paladin charisma]

Attack (handheld): +11/+6 = 8 [base] +2 [strength] +1 [Gauntlets of Ogre Power]

Attack (unarmed): +11/+6 = 8 [base] +2 [strength] +1 [Gauntlets Of Ogre Power]

Attack (missile): +9/+4 = 8 [base] +1 [dexterity]

Grapple check: +10/+5 = 8 [base] +2 [strength]

Light load: 58 lb. or less

Medium load: 59-116 lb.

Heavy load: 117-175 lb.

Lift over head: 175 lb.

Lift off ground: 350 lb.

Push or drag: 875 lb.

Languages: Celestial
Common
Infernal

Weapons:

Silvered Dagger +11/+6 [1d4 + 1, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]

Sling +9/+4 [1d4, crit x2, range inc. 50 ft., 0 lb, bludgeoning]

+1 Shock Bastard Sword +12/+7 [1d10 + 5, crit 17-20/x2, 6 lb., one-handed, slashing]

Armor:

+1 Glamered Full plate armor [heavy; +9 AC; max dex +1; check penalty -6; 50 lb.]

Feats:

Combat Expertise

Improved Trip

Exotic Weapon Proficiency Weapon: Bastard Sword

Improved Critical x1 Weapon(s): Bastard Sword

Power Attack

Cleave

Traits:

Skill Name Key Ability SkillModifier Ability Modifier Ranks Misc.

Appraise Int 2 = +2

Balance Dex* 1 = +1

Bluff Cha 3 = +3

Climb Str* 7 = +2 +5

Concentration Con 7 = +2 +5

Diplomacy Cha 15 = +3 +8 +2 [Knowledge, nobility] +2 [sense Motive]

Disguise Cha 3 = +3

Escape Artist Dex* 1 = +1

Forgery Int 2 = +2

Gather Information Cha 3 = +3

Heal Wis 1 = +1

Hide Dex* 1 = +1

Intimidate Cha 8 = +3 +5

Jump Str* 7 = +2 +5

Knowledge (nobility) Int 10 = +2 +8

Knowledge (religion) Int 10 = +2 +8

Listen Wis 1 = +1

Move Silently Dex* 1 = +1

Ride Dex 6 = +1 +5

Search Int 2 = +2

Sense Motive Wis 7 = +1 +6

Spot Wis 1 = +1

Survival Wis 1 = +1

Swim Str** 2 = +2

Use Rope Dex 1 = +1

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Know Religion >=5 ranks gives +2 on turn/rebuke the undead.

First-level Paladin spells: 2 (1+1) per day

Divine Favor

Human:

• Extra feat at first level (already included)
• Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
• One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Fighter:

• Bonus Feats (already included)

Paladin:

• Aura of Good
• Detect Evil (Ravenloft Only: Detect Chaos)
• Smite Evil (2x/day; add +3 to melee attack roll, paladin levels to damage)
• Divine Grace (level 2)
• Lay on Hands (level 2)
• Aura of Courage (level 3) (Magical Fear ONLY)
• Divine Health (level 3)
• Turn Undead (level 4) (6x/day)
• Special Mount (level 5) (Dread Companion)
• Remove Disease (level 6)
• Code of Conduct / Association
• High wisdom gains bonus spells daily

Class HP rolled

Level 1: Fighter 10

Level 2: Fighter 6

Level 3: Paladin 8

Level 4: Paladin 5 +1 to charisma

Level 5: Paladin 7

Level 6: Paladin 10

Level 7: Paladin 9

Level 8: Paladin 10 +1 to charisma

Christopher Van Edefelt's Equipment:

57 lb
5 lb
2 lb

1 lb
1 lb
_____
66 lb

Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)

Sling bullets (group of 10) x1

Backpack

Signal whistle

Signet ring

Bullseye Lantern

Whetstone

Holy symbol (silver)

Full Equipment List:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power (STR+2) 4,000

Boots of Striding/Springing 2,500

Everburning Torch 110

Handy Haversack 2,000

Wand Of Cure Light Wounds 750

Wand Of Charm Person 750

Ring Of Feather Falling 2,200

Potion of Bull's Strength 300

Potion of Sanctuary X2 100

+1 Shock Bastard Sword 8,335

+1 Glamered Full Plate 5,650

Holy Symbol, Silver 25

Flint & Steel 2

Caltrops X5 5

Bullseye Lantern 12

Signet Ring 5

Silver Dagger 10

Acid X 2 20

Masterwork Manacles, Amazing Lock 200

Total: 26,976 gp

Money: 24 gp

Paladin Mount

Name: Thanatos

Mount: Warhorse (heavy)

• Large Animal
• Hit dice 6d8+18 (55 hit points)
• Initiative +1 (Dex)
• Speed 50 feet
• AC: 18 ( -1 large +1 Dex +8 natural)
• Attacks: 2 Hooves +7 melee; Bite +2 melee;
• Damage 1d6+4 (2 hooves); 1d4+2 (bite);
• Special Qualities: Scent
• Saves: Fort +11; Ref +6; Will +3
• Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 6
• Skills: Listen +7; Spot +7;
• The mount is entitled to distribute an additional 2 skill points.
• Empathic link; Improved evasion; Share spells; Share saving throws

Background:

There are paladins, and then there are paladins.

Born to the House of the Edefelts, Christopher van Edefelt is one of the latter. Tall, well-favored and handsome, it seemed clear that he was destined for great things- Indeed, ever since his birth, he lead a charmed life, pampered and protected as the only scion of a noble family. Despite the intriuge and courtly behaviour that was his lot in life, he never quite fit in amongst the decadence and decaying grandeur of the nobility...Brutally honest and morally upright, he couldn't come to terms with the sophistry, the hypocrisy of those around him.

-One night, not long after a huge black stallion emerged from the mists, matters came to a head. Perhaps it was some trick of Fate, or perhaps some Higher Power was really watching; Either way, Christopher left home that night, one step ahead of the eerie fog that swallowed his lands, his family, his ancestral home.

...That was the end of everything, for him. Alone, bereft, Christopher travelled to the city of Lucine, parleying what little assets his family held into his training; Guided by his moral compass and social conscience, the wayward noble found employment with the Guards of the Watch.

Now in his mid-20s, Christopher is perhaps one of, if not the most feared enforcers in the city. While his handsome face and perfectly courteous manners are enough to make women sigh, his actions are utterly remorseless and chilling- He abides strictly to the letter of the law, and believes in the dealing of swift and immediate justice to all who deserve it. In fact, even to the other Guardsmen, his righteous zeal is more than a little disturbing; More than once, he's forced confrontations with desperate criminals, preferring to slay them in 'self-defense' or while 'resisting arrest', rather than taking them into custody.

While his actions may qualify as 'police brutality', there is, in fact, method in his madness; The long arm of the Law is notoriously slow in Lucine, and the worst scum can evade final judgement through a minimum of effort. More than once, he's been forced to allow the guilty to walk- Even worse, he's sometimes been used as little more than a meat shield for the tax collectors, rousting the disenfrancished and the poor.

If anything, Christopher is rapidly approaching a crossroads in his life; He's straying from 'Good' to 'Law', simply because he's finding it increasingly difficult to reconcile the differences between the two conflicting choices- And who knows where this will lead?

Personality:

Outwardly calm and pleasant, Christopher van Edefelt is a charming young man; He's a devastatingly effective speaker, able to quickly and amiably approach almost anyone. Usually clad in his glamered Full Plate, most people can't tell that he's wearing armor until it's too late; Furthermore, he wields his bastard sword with consumnate skill and strength, rendering him an incredibly dangerous fighter.

Generally, Christopher prefers to act as his conscience directs him, quickly falling back on the letter of the Law when he can think of no other solution- Sometimes which happens on an increasing basis, in these uncertain times. Fundamentally a Paladin at heart, he's very much an extremist when it comes to smiting evil and injustice...And thus far, his powers and his judgement have never failed him. He's utterly relentless in prosecuting those who, in his opinion, 'deserve it'; Worse, as he never, ever lies, every word from him carries an incredible amount of weight.

His mount, Thanatos, is perhaps his mirror image. While it does have Christopher's 'best interests' at heart, it is extremely fond of mocking his confusion and occassional powerlessness- Thus, he rarely utilizes him, preferring to keep Thanatos safe and quiet within a stable.

Last edited:

dog45

First Post
burnout02urza: I figured that's what you meant. The character sheet looks okay, but could you format it like Bloodcookie did please? Also, I need some more background info on your character. I like what you've come up with so far, with the extremist lawful paladin.

Have you read the Ravenloft campaign setting? Because there are changes to the Paladin class.

- No Detect Evil. No mortal magic can detect moral alignment, by decree of the Dark Powers. Instead you get Detect Chaos, which you can also use to detect Innocents.
- Divine Grace also counts as a bonus on charisma checks with good NPCs, while acting as a penalty on charisma checks with evil NPCs.
- Divine Health. Diseases spawned from Darklords and Curses bypass this immunity.
- Aura of Courage. You are still immune to magical fear, but not to the mundane Fear, Horror, or Madness saves.
- Special Mount: Your mount has the Dread Companion template. Basically, your mount shares your ethical alignment, but is totally evil. Through the empathic link, your mount learns all your secret desires but doesn't understand why you don't act on some of them. It may secretly try to help you acquire your objects of desire, or take revenge on those who have slighted you. Basically, your mount is your Id in flesh and blood. They lack a conscience.

burnout02urza

First Post
Actually, I don't have the Ravenloft campaign setting. Still, I've edited my character; The idea is a paladin in the Guards of the Watch, one who's falling back on 'Law' when he can't accomplish 'Good'. Should be interesting.

Remove ads