Offensive Bards

Kelleris

Explorer
brehobit said:
Yep, you are 100% correct. And the difference can be quite significant. Especially if you have the 1st level spell that increases the bonuses you give (also a swift action...)

Eh, starting nearly every fight with a swift action giving everyone +2 (or better) to attack and damage is pretty handy. For a combat bard past level 5, the issue isn't if burning the song is worth it, it's all about the standard action. In long/tough fights it's generally a clear call until somewhere around level 14 (where fights start getting very short and deadly with lots of save or lose effects floating around), but how long the fight will run is often unclear...

A lot of times, though, and especially at higher levels, you don't even need a standard action. Inspire courage has no particular duration, so you can just start it up and maintain it until you get into a fight. If you have Subsonics, you can do this without alerting anyone to your presence when stealth is important, and if you have Melodic Casting you can maintain the inspire courage and still cast spells in the ensuing combat.

bigbaddragon

First Post
Grease is a pretty good first level spell and very annoying too, if someone is using it against you.

Other than that, has anyone thought about whip using bard with improved trip, a wand of enlarge person and one level of marshal (in order to get the aura that gives Charisma bonus to trip attempts). This would give the bard 25 feet reach and d20 + str + cha + 8 (and possibly another +4 from that alternative class feature that was mentioned previously)to trip attempts.

Now, a question to you all: How much sense does it make to you that whip deals nonlethal damage?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can see both sides of the whip thing.

Personally, I've seen whips in action draw blood.

I've also seen them pierce metal, but the users were VERY experienced, and the metal was not as heavy as metal armor would be.

I could thus see Whips getting a specific feat with a BAB min prereq to do lethal damage, and possibly other things besides.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Artoomis said:
It's a Swift Action, not a Free Action, and it requires you be using a White Raven stance. I do not know enough about the Crusader to know if it is likely you'd be using a White Raven stance or even have one White Raven manuever as needed to qualify for the feat.

You might be better off using a Belt of Battle to get an extra action and use the feat for something else.

The problem to use this is 2 feats and 2 levels of another class.

wildstarsreach

First Post
bigbaddragon said:
Grease is a pretty good first level spell and very annoying too, if someone is using it against you.

Other than that, has anyone thought about whip using bard with improved trip, a wand of enlarge person and one level of marshal (in order to get the aura that gives Charisma bonus to trip attempts). This would give the bard 25 feet reach and d20 + str + cha + 8 (and possibly another +4 from that alternative class feature that was mentioned previously)to trip attempts.

Now, a question to you all: How much sense does it make to you that whip deals nonlethal damage?

Look at the character I posted on this list and you'll see that whip is the backup weapon. If he can't get into melee he was going to use the whip to trip at range and make the melee combatants more effective.

bigbaddragon

First Post
wildstarsreach said:
Look at the character I posted on this list and you'll see that whip is the backup weapon. If he can't get into melee he was going to use the whip to trip at range and make the melee combatants more effective.

I saw that and I just wanted to bring up marshal. He has some pretty auras that allow allies within 60 feet (including himself) to add his charisma bonus to will, fortitude or reflex saves and other various things. Anyway what you should do as soon as possible is to max your Use Magic Device skill (you have only one rank in it) because it will become more and more useful as you go

wildstarsreach

First Post
bigbaddragon said:
I saw that and I just wanted to bring up marshal. He has some pretty auras that allow allies within 60 feet (including himself) to add his charisma bonus to will, fortitude or reflex saves and other various things. Anyway what you should do as soon as possible is to max your Use Magic Device skill (you have only one rank in it) because it will become more and more useful as you go

I know and thanks but getting the initial skills for the PrC Sublime Chord is my initial focus.

Remove ads