• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Offensive Metered Foot

iamtheend

First Post
"Choose an opponent as a Free Action. Each time you hit this opponent consecutively, you gain a cumulative +1 Insight bonus on attacks against that opponent (max +5). If you miss this opponent, the bonus is lost. If you hit this opponent again, the count restarts at +1. This feat only applies on one opponent at a time."

So let's say I have 2 enemies. If I don't miss any hits and get a bonus on enemy 1 then choose to start a bonus on enemy 2 and not miss as well. When I return to enemy 1 I need to start my bonus up again from 0 or as long as I didn't miss can I start from where I left off as long as I choose him again as a free action.

I'm pretty sure I lose the bonus but I wanted to double check.

EDIT: I ask because it says the bonus is lost when I miss the enemy I chose for the feat and not when I choose a new opponent.

Stalker0

Legend
I would say that the clause "this feat only applies to one opponent at a time" would indicate that all benefits of the feat (including the escalating insight bonus) only applies to 1 opponent.

So when you flip to a new opponent, the feats benefit is completely removed from the last opponent. When you return to the original opponent, you are starting as if you have not yet applied the feat.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I would say that the clause "this feat only applies to one opponent at a time" would indicate that all benefits of the feat (including the escalating insight bonus) only applies to 1 opponent.

So when you flip to a new opponent, the feats benefit is completely removed from the last opponent. When you return to the original opponent, you are starting as if you have not yet applied the feat.

Strictly by RAW, he hasn't missed the opponent, and the feat has no duration or clause for losing the bonus otherwise, so I'd have to disagree. Yours is probably what was intended, however. I actually wouldn't mind letting the monk "save" his already accumulated bonuses, as long as the player himself keeps track of them. He's not really cheating anything, he did earn that bonus over time already.

iamtheend

First Post
I'm glad you understood what I was asking.

I was arguing it a bit because of the wording. I'm just going to have a d6 out and flip it up to 5 until I miss the opponent the bonus applies to.

Sekhmet

First Post
Several times per day, I take a moment to love tap my allies. It's a touch attack, possibly one point of damage because I have a high strength and it's hard to pull my hit completely and still make it felt. I love my buddies, it's a show of respect and friendship.

Two weeks later, my buddies and I are fighting this Wizard that manages to Dominate me.

My bonus to attacks on each of my allies is +5, and I walk through them like butter because of this feat.

I'd definitely say to end the effect when you switch targets.

iamtheend

First Post
That did cross my mind.

10 years since my character fought this monster but did hit 5 times with out missing on our last encounter!

But I'm feeling the bonus will stay until the encounter is over.

Stalker0

Legend
and the feat has no duration or clause for losing the bonus otherwise,

Actually it does. The feat says "This feat can only apply to one target at a time".

To me that indicates that all benefits of the feat can only be applied to one target at a time.

So if I build up a +5 against one target, and then switch, I think we all agree you do not currently have the +5 bonus against the first target.

However, the question becomes "If I switch back, do I still have the +5 bonus?"

My answer is no, because the ability to hold on to a +5 insight bonus until I miss with an attack is a benefit of the feat.

Sekhmet

First Post
Also, I should point out that any attack you make on additional target qualifies as a miss against the original target.
In example, Sekhmet attacks Dandu (because he's naked and out of spells for the day) five times in one round (Greater Flurry, bro).
Sekhmet then, on the second round, attacks StreamOfTheSky and hits with his five attacks as well (lucky rolls). thereby missing Dandu completely.

Dandu runs to his gear, so Sekhmet decides to intercept (because he knows Dandu has some strange trick up his sleeve and he has a higher move speed) and attack him again - without his bonuses (because he failed to hit Dandu with an attack in the previous round).

Remove ads