• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Offensive Metered Foot

kitcik

Adventurer
I don't like only having 6 rounds. I am playing a TWF/Flurry of Blows Monk who also has a reach weapon. Being able to build up with AoO's and lessen the penalties of my later attacks for an entire encounter with many different enemies seems better to me.

Then again maybe I'm missing something.

1 minute is 10 rounds.

But I should have given a caveat. Law Devotion is strictly better IF you play a low amount of encounters per day (or if you can get some turn undead uses). Otherwise, maybe not.

Sekhmet

First Post
No one has advocated for an eternal bonus. And you sound as if 90% of the foes in your games are recurring, the level of hyperbole is ridiculous.

But a bonus that lasts for the encounter, or until you actually miss is not very troublesome.

The bonus applies is due to familiarity with attacking a specific opponent built up over a short period of time. When you know someone's weak point in a melee, you can target it specifically.
Switching targets and gaining a familiarity with a new target, again, over the course of six seconds, would lessen you ability to react in the same fashion against the first target.

MoreQuotes said:
And you can already cheese OMF even using your interpretation. Say I take OMF and Stormguard Warrior. I spend a round flurrying for touch attacks using that tactic of the feat (+5 damage next round on the target for each touch attack that hits) to build up my OMF bonuses.

As far as power...a Cleric (you know, those little weaklings) can take the Holy Warrior feat and get +1 to +9 to hit, depending on his level, 24/7, all day every day, against every foe on this plane and all others. So no, OMF, even under the most beneficial possible reading, doesn't even begin to sound overpowered.

There is no problem with using touch attacks to generate bonuses, period.
However, using the argument "But X Class can do Y" is ridiculous. Just because a Wizard can alter reality at a whim doesn't mean that everyone should be able to.
There is a reason that classes are seperated by what they can and can't do. Keep it that way.

The spirit of the feat is that as long as you are attacking one foe and you do not miss, you can accrue bonuses against that foe.
When you attack another foe, there is absolutely no suggestion or logical reason to keep those bonuses.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
So what if you attacked the same foe once every round, but also attacked others? Then you're still keeping "familiar" with the foe's weaknesses or whatever. What if you opt to take AoOs on other creatures?

"There is a reason that classes are seperated by what they can and can't do. Keep it that way."

All I'm hearing is "Monks can't have nice things" here. I don't see why SPELLCASTERS get better melee feats than Monks.

"When you attack another foe, there is absolutely no suggestion or logical reason to keep those bonuses."

I disagree. It's definitely unclear. You want to rule it one way or the other, fine. But the text is far from black and white on what causes you to lose the bonuses.

Sekhmet

First Post
I don't like only having 6 rounds. I am playing a TWF/Flurry of Blows Monk who also has a reach weapon. Being able to build up with AoO's and lessen the penalties of my later attacks for an entire encounter with many different enemies seems better to me.

Then again maybe I'm missing something.

Which reach weapon have you been using? I can't think of one that is also a monk weapon.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
A Monk can take feats to make a weapon a monk weapon, though he needs proficiency (feat/multiclass/alternate monk class) and weapon focus (feat) plus the feat to make it a monk weapon, so it's rather costly, iirc.

Sekhmet

First Post
So what if you attacked the same foe once every round, but also attacked others? Then you're still keeping "familiar" with the foe's weaknesses or whatever. What if you opt to take AoOs on other creatures?
As someone versed in hand to hand combat, I'd actually allow this particular interpretation, as it is the only possible way to keep up with multiple combatants and still remain in control of a melee.

whyquotewhy said:
All I'm hearing is "Monks can't have nice things" here. I don't see why SPELLCASTERS get better melee feats than Monks.
I love monks, they're one of my favourite classes. I do, however, try to keep to the spirit of the rules when the rules as written do not cover a specific, unusual or un-thought of purpose.

I'm Quoting You A Lot said:
A Monk can take feats to make a weapon a monk weapon, though he needs proficiency (feat/multiclass/alternate monk class) and weapon focus (feat) plus the feat to make it a monk weapon, so it's rather costly, iirc.

Oh, I see. I'll have to try to find that. Do you recall which book it was in?

iamtheend

First Post
In the course of one encounter I feel a few rounds away from an enemy you previously hit wouldn't be too long to forget the insight bonus. I mainly ask for cases that I hit other enemies within the round. I can as a free action choose other enemies so why not gain the bonuses.

I am playing a gestalt campaign where I'm a monk fighter. I'm using a spiked chain (its in the form of a holy cross for Castlevania fluff) 2ndary to my unarmed attacks.

I'm aware of the Monk weapon feats existing but I don't remember off hand which books. Maybe Unapproachable east but that is a wild guess.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure it was Dragon Compendium v.1 for the feat to apply to any weapon. There are specific feats for longspear and longsword (why anyone would pick the latter I have no idea) iirc in the Eberron Campaign Setting. They're called something like Serpent Strike and Whirling Steel Strike or similar.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
This conversation reminds me of the 3.0 PrC Ghostwalker.
The Painful Reckoning ability grants a +class level bonus to AC, Attack and Damage to any enemies that drop you 50% of your HP in one encounter, which carries over to future encounters with those specific foes.
The PrC has other nifty abilities as well.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I always wanted to make an NPC with that PrC to be a constantly recurring foe for the party. :)

It's a much better NPC class than PC class. Players don't generally have control over whether their next adventure pits them against an old foe again, DMs on the other hand...

Remove ads