• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Official D&D Basic Discussion Thread

WitchyD

Explorer
I'm digging the simple Inspiration rules presented. I was already preparing to house-rule something similar, but this works rather well. I like how players are encouraged to give their Inspiration to other players for their RP, but I don't think I'd actually see that at the table. :/

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
I like how some spells do more damage/more effect/more targets/whatever when prepared at higher levels. Prevents us from having five separate cure spells, ten separate 'do damage to a guy with fire' spells, etc.

One of the best things about 5th edition spells no doubt.

Dausuul

Legend
There is a training requirement of 250 days of downtime needed for learning a new language or toolset proficiency.
I don't think this applies to stuff you learn from leveling up. That comes automatically. Training is in case you want to learn additional languages and proficiencies. Which is also a new thing, though--the ability to learn stuff independent of level-up! Used to be only wizards could learn things.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
This is from the Starter box, but I fell in love with it. It's a lovely nod to the bygone era of saves.

And this from the PDF is equally excellent:

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the
party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner
invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon
of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
3uvu9eqy.jpg

This is from the Starter box, but I fell in love with it. It's a lovely nod to the bygone era of saves.

Awesome. The Basic Rules has a similar Disclaimer.

EDIT: Beninja'd.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Advantage and Disadvantage. Me likey. They finally are acknowledging that "more chances" is better than "higher modifiers."

I find the spell-casting rules for scalable damage, when combined with the description of Arcane Tradition, to be a refreshing change in that it naturally forces specialization for those that want it without requiring them to give up spells of other schools. Overchannel doesn't do it for me - I'd like to see it be a save of some sort but usable at any level.

Looking at the fighter - I'm wondering if this will be the general trend for all classes: picking archtypes and styles will naturally build feat trees instead of taking them at set levels.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm digging the simple Inspiration rules presented. I was already preparing to house-rule something similar, but this works rather well. I like how players are encouraged to give their Inspiration to other players for their RP, but I don't think I'd actually see that at the table. :/

The way I've seen it play out at my table is one character acts out his, obnoxious, flaws. He gets inspiration for that, and then he hands the inspiration to the bard who is trying to persuade the, now offended, NPC. We justify it as a good cop-bad cop kind of exchange.

Thaumaturge.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads