• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official Introduction Thread

Geoff Dale

Explorer
Intro/Bio

Hi all! I'm an old time gamer (how old? 1975 HS grad, started with D&D in 1977) who migrated to DFW 10 years ago for economic reasons and landed in Keller after stints in WVA, PA, OH, IN, IL(twice), and IA. I have the standard issue wife, son, daughter, and big black dog. After being with the big power company in IL, I now work for Uncle Sam and travel all over the western US.

D&D'wise I have almost exclusively DM'ed since 1978, and all of that was OD&D/AD&D; I was playing my own homebrew rule set until recently, which has a strong flavor of AD&D to it. My group had sort'of been meeting every other Sunday afternoon but fell apart about a year back due to 2 going off to college and 1 getting a weekend job, so I'm really looking for some old-school players right now !! My chief gaming claim to fame is a handful of contributions to the old JG magazine plus two published AD&D modules (Inferno, Lindoran); I've also contributed to the new Fight On mag. I have zero interest in 3E games, and only very slight 4E interest.

Other Gaming Interests: Diplomacy (face/face and email), Squad Leader, Kingmaker, Risk, Cards (double deck pinochle, bridge, canasta, hearts...), Backgammon, and Chess (played in the 1975 US High School National Tourney)

Some Other Interests: 30+ yrs in BSA, Genealogy, Cooking, Camping, Travel (now at 46 states and 10 countries), Swimming & Scuba diving, Canoeing and whitewater, and collecting sci-fi (book club member since 1978). Bowled a church league in IL but we haven't gotten into it here.

Paul aka Geoff :devil:

Bennihaha

First Post
Introduction

Hi Folks,

My name is Ben and I live in Richardson. I haven't done too much serious D&D playing in my time, but I have always enjoyed what I have done. My older brothers played with all of the first edition materials, so I was exposed to RPGs at an early age. When I was a teenager, we used to play Heroes Unlimited and some of the TMNT supplements--in retrospect, very odd, but fun at the time.

I am familiar with the 3.5 version of D&D and would be interested in getting together sometime to play.

Thanks,
Ben

alister_c

First Post
Hi all,

I live in Dallas and have been gaming since the mid 80s. I have mostly been playing Shadowrun lately. but I have played AD&D, Rifts, and Mechwarrior. I would be interested in joining a group that plays D&D and Shadowrun in the Dallas area.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If nothing else, let me welcome you to the boards, alister_c and
Bennihaha!

I can't really offer you anything personally, but I know Lone Star Comics and a few other game stores around here keep books/postings for open games and the like- give 'em a try!

FWIW, I like the idea of a D/FW ENWorld Bowling day!

wolff96

First Post
Several of you responded when I asked about gaming stores in the area, but I just discovered this group so I'm going to introduce myself again. :)

I've been gaming since the early 80's, though I managed to miss almost all of 2nd edition while taking a "short" break. I like most versions of D&D, though I'm still on the fence about 4e. That may have just been the two games I played in, though. I also really enjoy WFRP and the 40k material, Shadowrun, and Burning Wheel.

I'll be living in the very southern edge of Plano starting on November 21, 2008, as I'm moving down to take a new job (from Indiana). Looking forward to getting to know the area and the local gaming crew.

James McMurray

First Post
Hi all!

I live in North West Fort Worth, near Sansom Park and Lake Worth. I work in Plano.

I'll play just about any game you put in front of me, though 4e is my big love right now. I'm running an epic level campaign for it. We jump from game to game more than I like, but it's a good group so I don't complain much. Right now we're bouncing between 4e and dark Heresy.

We've also played:
  • Shadowrun: pretty much everyone digs this
  • Rolemaster: I really love it, all but one of the group dislike it
  • Babylon 5 d20: I love the setting, but we couldn't get into the system, though we seem to have that problem with lots of Sci Fi stuff
  • Silver Age Sentinels: The system was too complex for the smash 'em up game we were looking for
  • Marvel Super Heroes: I play this with my son, too. It's old, but it's a classic, and the entire game line is free in legal pdfs.
  • Warhammer RPG: This is another one almost everyone gets into
  • Earthdawn: A cool system, but we haven't played in a while
  • 3.x: We played this a ton, then stopped for a while when we burned out, and didn't go back to D&D until 4th came out
  • HackMaster: The guy who ran and I both really dig this game, but nobody else was enthused so we set it aside.

I'd also like to play some Amber, maybe Nobilis, and SpaceMaster (which I've played before but not in a long time).

On the real world side of things, I'm a software engineer working for QuickOffice Inc. in Plano. I've got a wife and two kids, all of whom are a trial and a triumph. My wife used to game with us, but stopped shortly after our son was born (7 years ago). Now I just bore her with stories after the game, and play with my son instead. :)

My non-RPG hobbies used to include collectible card games, but my wallet's been too light to do that for a long time. Now I stick to watching movies, writing RPG tools, and sleeping on the train.

thoughtwords

First Post
New to the Metroplex...

Greet's all! I have recently moved to the Fort Worth area with my job and am looking around to join an existing or new group. I can generally play anytime between Friday evening and Sunday evening, but I do limit my playing to just one group at a time (and usually only one campaign) because of other obligations.

As for the type of game/campaign: My preference is for a long-haul campaign designed to take the characters from zero to hero (possibly even into epic-like levels) through rich, character-driven storytelling. One-shots and such are okay to break things up from time to time, but I find it best for me to focus on just one sustained campaign. I am not particular to a system and, since I have been playing since the "red box" days, I've used a lot of them. I welcome 3.5 along with Shadowrun and even WoD and many others as long as the storytelling and character development are the focus. To be honest, I have not heard anything about 4E that piques my interest and I don't really like playing with minis let alone requiring them, so this system is at the bottom of the list. My most recent campaigns were in the Eberron setting with a few house rules, and I enjoyed those games very much.

Outside of gaming and my real job: I am a full time grad student; I love to ride my motorcycle when ever I can; My friends and I have proven that Rock Band and beer mix just fine; I workout every day.

Anyhow, if you have a game or can point me in the right direction, drop me an email anytime.

Thanks muchly!

Remove ads