D&D General Official Lego Set for Dungeons & Dragons Coming Soon

3,745 piece set includes an adventure to run using the model

Lego announced the release of the officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons build set Dragon’s Keep: Journey’s End.

1.png

The 3,745 piece set includes a partially collapsed tower, a castle wall, and a tavern with removable roof. For characters, the set has six minifigures for a Dwarf Cleric, Gnome Fighter, Orc Rogue, Elf Wizard, and an NPC Dragonborn and Innkeeper. You’ll also build models of Cinderhowl the Red Dragon (who can also be perched on top of the tower) plus a beholder, a displacer beast, and an owlbear.

21348_alt9_webp_92.jpg

A free adventure will also be available from D&D Beyond and the Lego website on April 1st as a digital download making use of the terrain. To celebrate the release, Lego will host a live stream of the adventure with Anjali Bhimani (Ms. Marvel, Overwatch 2), Ginny Di (YouTuber and cosplayer), Luis Carazo (Candela Obscura, Outbreak: Undead Rag & Bone), Jordon Scott (LEGO Designer), and Lucas Bolt (designer of this set, see below) on April 6, 2024, at 12 noon Eastern.

21348_alt10_webp_92.jpg

The set was designed by Lucas Bolt aka BoltBuildz as part of the Lego Ideas program in a contest launched in 2022. The winner was announced in January 2023 with a preview of the set. As part of the contest, Bolt will receive 1% of net sales of the product, complimentary copies, a D&D prize package, and other considerations.

2.png

The set will be available for sale starting on April 4, 2024, for a retail price of $359.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

wedgeski

Adventurer
Indeed, though my favorites were always Ice Planet 2002. The blue/orange/white contrast really popped, and their status (pacifist scientists trying to stay out of the conflict between the other two LEGO Space factions) appealed very much to a young Ezekiel.
The new Lego space sets also have that white/orange vibe. Very cool!

GrimCo

Adventurer
While this is meant as collectors item, personally, i will buy it and i will definitely play with it when my kid gets old enough. Same goes for other lego sets i have. I don't care about resell value, since i don't intend to sell any of them. If i have fun playing with it with my kid, it's worth so much more to me than sitting pristine and collecting dust on the shelf. But then, i let my friend's kids play with my Legos any time they come to visit and their joy and smiles is worth more than money i paid for them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
While this is meant as collectors item, personally, i will buy it and i will definitely play with it when my kid gets old enough. Same goes for other lego sets i have. I don't care about resell value, since i don't intend to sell any of them. If i have fun playing with it with my kid, it's worth so much more to me than sitting pristine and collecting dust on the shelf. But then, i let my friend's kids play with my Legos any time they come to visit and their joy and smiles is worth more than money i paid for them.
That's the fun part about Lego sets, even the collectors items are solid usable toys.

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
$350+ LLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLL
Less posting and more worky-worky! ;)

Lego certainly isn't cheap, especially not the big sets. But also keep in mind that building something this big is quite a few Friday nights and what does a Friday night dinner and movie cost? How quickly do you get to that $350? It of course needs to be something you like to do as well, otherwise what's the point? But enough individuals/couples like doing this enough to spend this kind of money on it (if they have it).

If this isn't your cup of tea, sure, pnp RPG isn't many people's cup of tea either...

Also keep in mind that Lego isn't the only one who can make expensive sets. Wizkids D&D Gargantuan Tiamat is $399, how many Lego nerds would skoff at that? Imagine how much Lego you could buy from that amount of money... ;)

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Less posting and more worky-worky! ;)

Lego certainly isn't cheap, especially not the big sets. But also keep in mind that building something this big is quite a few Friday nights and what does a Friday night dinner and movie cost? How quickly do you get to that $350? It of course needs to be something you like to do as well, otherwise what's the point? But enough individuals/couples like doing this enough to spend this kind of money on it (if they have it).

If this isn't your cup of tea, sure, pnp RPG isn't many people's cup of tea either...

Also keep in mind that Lego isn't the only one who can make expensive sets. Wizkids D&D Gargantuan Tiamat is $399, how many Lego nerds would skoff at that? Imagine how much Lego you could buy from that amount of money... ;)

$350 is half a rent payment for me. Or a 3rd of a bi-monthly paycheck. Not dinner and a movie.

To be fair, I can't wrap my head around hundreds of dollars for LEGOS. When I was a kid you bought them for like $20 by the bucket full.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
$350 is half a rent payment for me. Or a 3rd of a bi-monthly paycheck. Not dinner and a movie.

To be fair, I can't wrap my head around hundreds of dollars for LEGOS. When I was a kid you bought them for like $20 by the bucket full.
This Lego set is about 1/3rd of my rent. It's of course not a single dinner and a movie, but this is also not a single evening build. If you pace yourself, this is probably a full week of evenings building this. And unlike a dinner and a movie, you still have something of value after you're done. What a lot of folks do is buy the set, build it, and sell it. Lego has a lot of value, even if opened. Heck, some people even rent out their sets for others to build. It depends on how you treat it and how much you value it.

I would also not label this set you buy like a $20 set, you want this? You save for it, this set was long rumored to come and many people have been saving for it for months. This is NOT for kids, this is for adults that have money to spend on these kinds of things. Just like with RPG books, dice, miniatures and board games. This isn't even one of the most expensive sets (like the SW AT-AT and Millenium Falcon @$850 each).

Keep in mind that Lego at this price point isn't exactly mainstream, it's one like one of those advertisements you saw as a kid for the GI Joe aircraft carrier or space shuttle launch platform, not something you could ever afford, but you dreamed you could. Some of us as adults can afford it because we got a decent job, and this is (one of) our hobby/hobbies...

Note: I got back into Lego last year (after a almost 40 year hiatus) as way of stress relief (just some zen building), since then I've gone a bit nuts on buying Lego... But I don't have kids, I almost never go out and even on the pnp RPG and board game front I've cut back significantly. At a certain point I can just build new sets from stuff I already own from the pdf instructions on the Lego site...

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
$350+ LLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLL
tbh this makes me feel sad.
I loved legos as a kid, still do. My husband still puts a blister pack into my xmas stocking every year, and these are not cheap. As a kid saving my allowance (and help from mom) was really the only way I could afford it.

This cannot be for kids. I don't know many folks here have kids, but how does a kid afford this??

Unless kids are not the target market, which makes me sadder.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
$20 in 1978 was about $100 in current USD, and hey, look, you can get a big bucket of Lego for way less than $20 in 70's money!

And in 1978, Lego released their first big Castle for $49.99...just shy of $250 in today's money, eitj way less stuff to it than this set and with zero IP licenses to pay

Parmandur

Book-Friend
tbh this makes me feel sad.
I loved legos as a kid, still do. My husband still puts a blister pack into my xmas stocking every year, and these are not cheap. As a kid saving my allowance (and help from mom) was really the only way I could afford it.

This cannot be for kids. I don't know many folks here have kids, but how does a kid afford this??

Unless kids are not the target market, which makes me sadder.
I wouldn't be all thst disheartened: Lego are more affordable now than they were in the 70's and 80's. This is Lego asking $350 for a 3,745 piece set, whereas the OG big Castle was $250 (adjusted) for 767 pieces. So that set was 3 pieces per dollar, as opposed to over 10 pieces per dollar here. And there are very, very affordable options from Lego, in addition to big fun sets like this.

Remove ads

Remove ads