OGL Contributions Wiki?

robjh

First Post
Is there interest in setting up a general Wiki where anybody can post OGL contributions for general use (and edit/enhancement)? I was thinking of something along the lines of the Wikipedia and possibly hosted on EnWorld, if the owner is willing. :)

Thank you.

Verequus

First Post
I like this idea, but someone else had already this idea (I think the webpage had an "X" in its name, but I can't find the link...). As far as I remember, the page wasn't like a wiki, but the admin put the content on the page - and it wasn't such a good resource, as it could have been.

So, do it - I'd like to see a true house rules section like "Dodge gives always a +1 to AC". A lot of things float in ENWorld around and if you don't bookmark the link, things get lost - and it happened already several times to me, especially, because I can't search.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Someone tried this, and I tried to contribute to it, but their format requirements were quite strict and I gave up.

It's a serious issue, though: how much variety of format will you allow, or how much conformity will you enforce, or how will you encourage uniformity through some kind of standardized interface (which is a LOT of work for you).

-- N

Yair

Community Supporter
I like this idea, but I don't have the know-how to contribute...
It is my understanding, however, that the Wikipedia engine is freeware, so can be used. Shouldn't that standardize format? I understand wikipedia is fairly easy to change and update (although I never tried to myself).

robjh

First Post
Yair said:
I like this idea, but I don't have the know-how to contribute...
It is my understanding, however, that the Wikipedia engine is freeware, so can be used. Shouldn't that standardize format? I understand wikipedia is fairly easy to change and update (although I never tried to myself).

We've used a wiki engine where I work and it is pretty satisfying to use once you've got the easy syntax down. It's only been updated once, but I didn't have much difficulty rev-ing the software. I think the key thing is probably making some sort of sensible top-level organization of the wiki site to get it rolling. (Probably we'd need a small group of evaluators to get it organized and running.) Once that's in place then the community does most of the maintenance of the contnet.

The Netbook of Planes used a wiki and it seemed to work okay. But I think it was too narrowly focused and wasn't well advertised. A wiki linked from a popular site with broad subject matter (all OGL material) could generate more interest.

Planesdragon

First Post
You're thinking of the d20 Exchange

Mike Cortez, one of my fellows in the FGA, tried getting the d20 Exchange up and running awhile back. He's currently looking to divest himself of the domain name to someone who would like it and isn't a click-generating scam.

If someone has resources--time and webhosting, primarily--I'd love to help get that up and running in a useable fashion.

Remove ads