• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Oh god, not goblins again...

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I still use Goblins constantly. However, my Goblins are cruel, cunning, and believe in self-preservation above all else.

This means that not only are they a tougher encounter for groups of all ages (levels), they can, depending on the circumstance prove useful or as allies of convenience or necessity.

I mean, those Gobs in the dripping caves are EATING people, and they have two Ogres in their pocket. These are mean little things that terrorize the country side when allowed. I enjoy turning them into the horrifying threat that they should be. A pox on the world as it were.

Hobgoblins, while tougher, are down right civilized in comparison.

So while I can empathize with your situation, I have not run into the problem. My suggestion would be to go the route of breathing more life into them. Making them interesting and memorable in a good (terrifying perhaps) way to the players.

They will thank you, and it will be worth the extra work as you cackle maniacally over their characters fallen and broken corpses!

Edited for typos and errors.

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
Not to mention, Frodo and Sam only ever seemed to reach level 2 or 3, based on the fact that frodo was still one-shot by a simple giant spider.

I don't think you're being fair to Shelob. She was an ancient evil, the last child of Ungoliant, from the earliest days of Middle Earth. That's no simple giant spider.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
That's the opening of the Critical Hits review of SKT, and I have to admit it touches a nerve. We started our campaign with "Temple of the Nightbringers" by M T Black, which was recommended somewhere (possibly on here) as a good introduction for players new to D&D. It went well. However, it involves fighting goblins in an underground temple. SKT has the Dripping Caves in its opening chapter, LMoP starts with a goblin ambush, and I have a couple of other short, low-level mini-adventures I might have used but that also involve goblins, and there's a very real chance my players will get utterly, utterly sick of them.

Out of interest, what do you do to replace (or spice up) low-level goblin encounters in published 5e adventures to keep players interested? Do you reskin them as other creatures? Add tribal details and backstory? Replace them with something different entirely? For instance, I'm wondering about using kua-toa, kobolds or gnolls (or anything that isn't goblins) for the Dripping Caves - any race that keeps slaves and can occasionally be found in caves should do the trick.
When there are goblins, I triple their number and have 3 quarters of them act goofy each round.

Like a pair of them 20 feet apart from each other will hold either end of a rope And then run at the party, hoping to wrap them up. And of courze several other goblins will have to scurry out of the way or get caught up in the snare too.

It's the only good thing I got out of Pathfinder.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I know the feeling! It seems like almost every single time I pick up a book or watch a movie or tv show it has humans in it! I mean, there must be a million stories written about humans at this point and we have all seen hundreds or thousands of them, is it really possible to write another one that is in any way entertaining? Do we really ever need to see a fight between humans again?

:heh:

Seriously though, I haven't seen it be a problem. I do usually give at least a few goblins (or whatever) some distinctive features in terms of personality, equipment or ability, and I do sometimes give different goblin "tribes" significantly different cultures, but it isn't out of any fatigue. I don't run much published stuff but I have certainly subbed creature types though ie; goblins for kobolds or even orcs with the obvious changes that brings.

Hussar

Legend
Nothing wrong with switching them out for kobolds. Not all that different mechanically really. Or, shift up to orcs.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the scaly stuff, so, lizard folk or troglodytes are a go to for me.

Or, even just go with very aggressive (maybe intelligent) apes. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads