• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oh no Conan just DIDNT!

Cactot

First Post
What is this "stigma" against D&D that you guys talk about? I dont even play D&D but the first thing i announce when i walk into a bar is that i play 1st ed AD&D, then i proceed to cast a couple of "charm" spells at the cute chicks, they like totally dig it. I have found it helps me get laid, and if i wear my pointed ears and chainmail then they are on me like flies on a turd, have to beat em away with my warmaul i always carry. They love my mountian dew/cheetos aura and my splotchy beard.

Jock = old and busted
AD&D magic user = new hotness

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
MaxKaladin said:
After the guy was carried off, Conan said "That never happened to me in high school" with that sad "I'm not fooling anyone with that lie" look and tone of voice he does. Just about every time he does a D&D joke he does something like that to imply he was a nerdy D&D player in high school. This isn't to say he actually was one, but he generally pokes fun at himself at the same time he does it.

Precisely. Quite often when Conan makes fun of something on his show that is geeky - Trek fandom, D&D, etc. - he lets the viewer know he's just as geeky. He has even straight-out talked about the irony of making fun of geeks and their geek-fix, when he's been there himself. So I think those who are getting riled up should grow thicker skins.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
ssampier said:
It is sad to see our hobby degenerated so. Even "mainstream" hobbies like video games get the same treatment. :(

I think the word is "denigrated." And it's actually fun. It's good to be able to laugh at oneself.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
ColonelHardisson said:
I think the word is "denigrated." And it's actually fun. It's good to be able to laugh at oneself.

Maybe philosophically, but from a marketing perspective, it's terrible, and part of the reason as a hobby and an industry its in such dire straights.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
trancejeremy said:
Maybe philosophically, but from a marketing perspective, it's terrible, and part of the reason as a hobby and an industry its in such dire straights.

I really doubt it's part of the reason the industry is in dire straits.

Sejs

First Post
ssampier said:
Not even as a Dungeon Master? That makes Mialee cry.

I think Mialee's hair makes Mialee cry enough as it is.

Poor girl.

Poor awkward, shaggy, horribly dressed girl.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads