• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oh no! The DM has [BLANK]! Or: What strikes fear into the hearts of players?

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
a hangover.

He gets all mean and cranky. Even the LG NPCs become surly. :)

I now fear printouts. Means it's something from here. Probably some Blackdirge creation (3 in 6 weeks :eek: ).

Dingleberry

First Post
My DM often uses a book of Brom art as inspiration for homebrew monsters and nasty NPCs. We hate that book. His roommate (also a player) is under standing orders from the rest of the group to hide the book whenever he gets the chance.

Any of the Monster Manuals, the Fiend Folio, or the BOok of Vile Darkness automatically starts, "complaining." ("Aw, man! He's bringing out the black book again!" :) ) So sometimes I bring those books just so they can look menacing on the table :)

Philip

Explorer
Books usually don't do it, although we had a thing going with the Dragon Mountain boxed set in the past. What really works is any unexpected question asking for more details about the PCs action, asked innocently:

Where exactly where you standing? Where you leaning against the wall, not touching the wall, or somewhere in between?

What did you say after you picked up that black book? Could you repeat is to me slowly, word for word.

Did you touch the green liquid with your weapon or with your hand. And what material is your weapon made of, or your gauntlets or gloves for that matter. You don't wear any gloves? Really?

Were you standing at the rear of the group? How much space between you and the guy before you? Ten feet? Are you absolutely sure?

:]

Just not knowing what the right answer to these questions should be really freaks them out. And I often ask these question for no reason, just to keep them on their toes.

But in a pinch I pull out the Psionics Handbook. Since psionic characters are not allowed in my campaign, and nobody owns the book. They fear the unknown.

Last edited:

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Dingleberry said:
My DM often uses a book of Brom art as inspiration for homebrew monsters and nasty NPCs. We hate that book. His roommate (also a player) is under standing orders from the rest of the group to hide the book whenever he gets the chance.

Mornin'!

Which reminds me, it's been a while since the Brom art books have made an appearance. Hmmm . . .

By turn, when playing in the game(s) Dingleberry runs, it's usually when a villainous NPC becomes recurring. Months may go by, and then all of a sudden, here comes the half-dragon (or whatever it is). Those fights always make me nervous, because the enemy is always better prepared than we are (or maybe we're just not very smart. Or a combination of both).

Doors. Doors are also a challenge in Dingleberry's games. Big time.

Warrior Poet

D.Reaver

First Post
Any book that has on the front cover.

Ravenloft
Planescape
Underdark
Undermountain
Rappan Athuk

And

Or when I turn my laptop around say " and then you see this looking at you"

Remove ads