D&D 5E Ok I have to ask..... what's with the Paladin hate on here?

Draegn

Explorer
So you say. Just use the medusa attack; give the Paladin a mirror, and he'll be so busy admiring himself, that he can't attack you. Easy pickings.

I think the oathbreaker option says everything you need to know about your garden-variety Paladin-lover. What other class says, "Hey, you get to be this awesome by just following a few rules, and we'll even make the rules completely customizable because of all of your whining, and make it really, really hard to lose your powers?"

And yet every ... single ... Paladin player is all like, "I should never lose my powers. Ima do what I want!"

It would be like if the creators of Superman said to themselves, "Hey, I know Superman is kind of bland and boring, but you know what would make him exciting? Get rid of that whole kryptonite thing."

We call this boy logic. Boy logic being the male paladin player who regardless of what is written on his character sheet engages in

Chaotic neutral behavior
Heavy binge drinking
Amorous relations with the first wanton wench in the tavern
Violent looting murdering wanderer

Who mystically and magically transforms back into a pure Parsifal and defends the NE female assassin at every opportunity thinking that being "nice" to a female player will cause the girl irl to be nice to him.

If there is a silver lining I suppose I should be grateful for never having to buy crisps, chocolate biscuits or tea. :p

CTurbo

Explorer
So you say. Just use the medusa attack; give the Paladin a mirror, and he'll be so busy admiring himself, that he can't attack you. Easy pickings.

I think the oathbreaker option says everything you need to know about your garden-variety Paladin-lover. What other class says, "Hey, you get to be this awesome by just following a few rules, and we'll even make the rules completely customizable because of all of your whining, and make it really, really hard to lose your powers?"

And yet every ... single ... Paladin player is all like, "I should never lose my powers. Ima do what I want!"

It would be like if the creators of Superman said to themselves, "Hey, I know Superman is kind of bland and boring, but you know what would make him exciting? Get rid of that whole kryptonite thing."

It sounds like you just compared Paladins to Superman....... hahaha

Aww man you would have loved my LG Devotion Paladin of Tyr who, at level 7, made a pact with a Fiend and then finished out his levels in Warlock while keeping his sweet Pally powers!

Haha ok so that character doesn't exist, but I know people out there pull that stuff. I don't agree with it either, but I don't hate the Paladin class because of it.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post

Yeah. Do whatever they want. Which is why the whole idea of oaths exist.

Also, Superman's list of weakness extend well beyond Kryptonite. Kryptonite just gets the most focus because of all of the ways its variations can mess with him and the fact regular people have easier access to it than most of the other methods.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I liked 1e/2e Paladins, strict code, must be LG with a 17 CHA. The holy knight. I even wrote up a code for Paladins of Heironeous for Cannonfire. Now its kind of anything goes, any alignment, heck even gnomes can do paladining.

Part of it is probably one player who since 3e has played nothing but 1/2O paladins that the extent of their oath is to be angry and not pay much attention to actually acting like a Paladin.

CTurbo

Explorer
Superman's weaknesses-

1. Lois Lane. Obviously
2. Kryptonite. Also obviously
3. Slow compared to Flash. Isn't everybody though?
4. Plot induced stupidity. There is no defense against the writers.

Did I miss any?

Paladin's weaknesses-

1. Too smitey? Is that a thing?
2. Not the greatest ranged attacks. Need to attach smites to arrows! haha
3. Usually stoopid with a dumped Int score. I guess this is most characters though.
4. DM induced stupidity? There is no defense against the DM.

Did I miss any?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I liked 1e/2e Paladins, strict code, must be LG with a 17 CHA. The holy knight. I even wrote up a code for Paladins of Heironeous for Cannonfire. Now its kind of anything goes, any alignment, heck even gnomes can do paladining.

Part of it is probably one player who since 3e has played nothing but 1/2O paladins that the extent of their oath is to be angry and not pay much attention to actually acting like a Paladin.

Its not a popular thing anymore, but I believe scarcity and restriction makes some things special. In D&D terms, it was novel to find a way to make some things work. I also found pleasure in taking race and class combination that were not optimal (say level capped or whatever) and having a blast.

I like that things have opened up some. In 3e a friend had a half orc paladin that seemed novel and fun. Now? Any alignment, few if any restrictions. I believe this can lead to the paladin simply being a gish vs. a holy knight (use whatever terms you like).

But I am old and crabby, so...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I like that things have opened up some. In 3e a friend had a half orc paladin that seemed novel and fun. Now? Any alignment, few if any restrictions. I believe this can lead to the paladin simply being a gish vs. a holy knight (use whatever terms you like).

But I am old and crabby, so...

Yep, with the impossibility to have one day on D&D forums without any attempt at a ''1/2 arcane caster'', I wish they only created one class with 1/2 spellcasting and gave them access to different spells list to create the desired flavor. Call it Magus or Eldritch Knight, Smites are now called Imbue Blade.
Half-caster with cleric spell list and + saves aura = Paladin
Half-caster with druid spell list + Gardian soul = Warden from 4e
Half-caster with arcane spell list + aegis ala stone sorcerer UA = Swordmage

I dont think there's enough difference between all the oaths to justify different subclasses within the paladin itself.

Remove ads