D&D 5E Ok I have to ask..... what's with the Paladin hate on here?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
What? Take a holiday break, and what happens? Some sort of twisted Paladin love fest? What next? Enjoy Arbor Day, and everyone here starts killing puppies?

Let's be clear. Hate is a four letter word. There's only two things I hate.

First, people that are intolerant of other people's choices when playing D&D.

Second, paladins.

Because when you stare into the abyss long enough, the Paladin stares back at you.

Much like our appendix, the Paladin is a useless vestigial appendage of D&D that should be surgically removed, with extreme prejudice. Sure, there are those Paladin-lovers out there, like Satan, and Brad, that try to deceive you with all of that, "This time they are different! With their smites and auras and oaths! Look, I have a cute picture to prove it!"

Do not believe their lies. You can put lipstick on a Paladin, but you cannot remove the true essence of despair that motivates the Paladin and those who advocate for them.

No paladin lover was ever born who isn't a sucker for fudging their die rolls (17 charisma) and power gaming (smites, holy avengers). Few people understand the psychology of dealing with the lovers of paladins. Your normal D&D player will smile and try to get along with others at the table when a reasonable suggestion is made ... and then we play well with others. But this is wrong to the Paladin. It arouses contempt in the Paladin-heart. Instead, they will argue about how much more smitier than thou they can be.

You must always be on the lookout for those who advocate for the Paladin. The Paladin is the d4 of classes; sure, it might be a part of the history of the game, but have you ever wanted to roll a d4? Does it even roll? Or is it something you tolerate because, "It's always been that way," knowing that it's the one die that doesn't roll, shouldn't be in the game, and will repeatedly hurt your tender feet as you step on them like ersatz legos. The Paladin is the d4- useless, and occasionally painful.

I think – no, I’m positive – that paladins are the most worthless class in all of D&D. You know, in the nearly fifty years of the Paladin's existence, the Paladin has demonstrated every loathsome characteristic of personality and even discovered a few new ones. Paladins are physically repulsive, intellectually stunted ... Paladins are morally reprehensible, vulgar, insensitive, selfish, stupid, they have no taste, a lousy sense of humor and, moreover, Paladins smell even worse than gnomes. A paladin is not even interesting enough to make me sick.

So I must thank @CTurbo

Normally, the Paladin lovers skulk in the shadows, properly embarrassed of their unfortunate predilection. But this thread has brought them to the light, often with pictorial evidence. And when the revolution comes, they, and their smites, and their Holy Avengers, will be the first against the wall.

I think I might surprise your ideas about paladin lovers. (living in the shadows? I've always been shameless about it. Fudging dice to gain power? I ask DMs if I can rerroll a high score -anything with a bonus- because my character doesn't have enough minuses. I embrace the LG nature, but prefer to lead by example and try to convert them through love. I don't particularly enjoy combat or playing violent PCs. And I try to emphasize the do good over follow the code.)

Oh yes, also. Turns out the appendix has a function. It is key to keeping yourself healthy and balanced. And d4s who doesn't love them! They are cute little things that look like candies and you can use them as improvised caltrops! Granted I've never stepped on a Lego, but I always kept my legos well stored and well organized.

That's what I'm after...but I don't own 3e's UA. I'll see if I can borrow a copy...
it's OGC http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/c...htm#paladinVariantsFreedomSlaughterAndTyranny

Last edited:

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post

GameOgre

Adventurer
Nine pages it took me before I realized this wasn't a large thread about the Dragonlance deity Paladine..........or WAS it?

CTurbo

Explorer
I think lowkey13 would have liked my CN Tiefling Vengeance Paladin with 18 Str, 14 Dex, 18 Con, 12 Int, 12 Wis, and 20 Char! hehe

Are you talking about 5e? Instead of the code being based on alignment, each oath has a brief outline.

3e's Unearthed Arcana had alternatively aligned paladins - CG, LE and CE varieties - each with a description of how they ought to act.

The 3E version of The Book of the Righteous from Green Ronin included a Holy Warrior class that was basically an alternate version of the Paladin for all the other alignments. Unfortunately, they got rid of the Holy Warrior base class for the 5E version and replaced it with additional options for the existing classes.

Last edited:

transtemporal

Explorer
That was Arthas, who eventually merged with the Lich King (the Lich King is actually Ner'zhul's spirit inhabiting the crown that Arthas wears while merged with him; it's complicated). He did it to stop a zombie plague, as everyone was already infested and in the process of turning.

That's the guy. I remember him being an interesting character, y'know, for a paladin. ;)

Have any of you seen or designed or heard of Paladin Codes of Conduct or similar for alignments other than LG? For LG it's easy to base such a thing on the medieval Code of Chivalry, but for other alignments...???

Lanefan

I allow players to design their paladins and fill in how they serve their god or purpose. Religions have lots of dogmatic splits in them and the PC helps me world-build by defining their order.

CTurbo

Explorer
Maybe.

Was his oath of vengeance to kill all the Paladins?

Was his necessary end point, after killing all the other paladins, to kill himself?

I could tolerate that. But, you know, better to play that as a fighter. Because you can't trust a paladin to keep his oath.

hmm.... pretty sure Paladins are too OP for a mere Fighter to be able to kill :lol:

Remove ads