• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ok, MMORPG questionnaire round two (its online!)

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
I am a graduate student at East Carolina University performing a study about MMORPG games, and I would like to ask for volunteers to take a short (5 minutes or so) questionnaire. This research study is intended to investigate the effect of community interaction on the motivation to play massively multiplayer online games.

The questionnaire can be accessed here: http://www.personal.ecu.edu/jmr0218/onlineqq.html

If you have any questions about the study, feel free to send them to
jmr0218@mail.ecu.edu
- and thanks in advance. And tell all your friends!

edit:

Erf, forgot to mention that more info about the study can be found here.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I kind of fell outside your demographic.

When I said I like requirements for guild, I basically meant mature adults over the age of 25, not class or level. When I meet with my "guild" it is my real life friends. The game is a topic of conversation, but not THE topic of conversation. Other than that I'm a casual gamer.

I gave you my email if you want to follow up, but a phone interview is not gonna happen. Sorry!

ph0rk

BiggusGeekus said:
I kind of fell outside your demographic.

When I said I like requirements for guild, I basically meant mature adults over the age of 25, not class or level. When I meet with my "guild" it is my real life friends. The game is a topic of conversation, but not THE topic of conversation. Other than that I'm a casual gamer.

I gave you my email if you want to follow up, but a phone interview is not gonna happen. Sorry!

Thats fine, I will only be doing a small number of interviews - the questionnaire is the main course.

And, if I really knew for certain what my demographic was, I wouldn't need to do the study! :)

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
ph0rk said:
Thats fine, I will only be doing a small number of interviews - the questionnaire is the main course.

And, if I really knew for certain what my demographic was, I wouldn't need to do the study! :)

Done. However, a comment: The questionaire is impossible for a Role-Play Guild member to answer properly. Too many game mechanic oriented questions. Not a thing about a group of us standing around in an area role-playing our characters. :)

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I filled out you survey thing. Every 6 months somebody comes and does the same thing. Isn't there already enough data on this stuff?
My guess just from playing these games players are white, in 2 differnet age catogories, 15 and under and 25 and older. Most people say they don't spend real world cash but they do. Guilds aren't that important but you need them if you want the high end crap.
Most people would rather Solo or just play with real world friends then with a guild. And in the end it nothing but a pissing contest on who has the best stuff.
The term RPG is almost laugable. There are a some die hard role players but the games aren't really geared that way which is to bad. If players could really change the enviroment then there would be more roleplaying.

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
An MMORPG bit you when you were a kid, didn't it?
suspicious.gif

ph0rk

Blue_Kryptonite said:
Done. However, a comment: The questionaire is impossible for a Role-Play Guild member to answer properly. Too many game mechanic oriented questions. Not a thing about a group of us standing around in an area role-playing our characters. :)

That is a good point, though for this particular study I am focusing on the differences between people who know the people they play with out-of-game and those who play with people they know online only, no matter the guild type/play style; with some follow up interviews to collect data on jargon, language use, and socializing/enculturating experiences ingame.

I guess the short explaination is a role playing guild == a social guild, for my purposes. Please, don't start throwing the rotten fruit, I know there is a difference. :D

Dagger75: If only everyone published on everything they collected :/

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads