• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E OK OK. A *NOT* negative thread from me re: 4E

JeffB

Legend
I just have to say I'm really not one of those rabid anti- whatever gamers. I know some of my posts the past few days have come across pretty negatively, but I really am not THAT upset. RPGS are justa "fringe" hobby for me these days, and I've got way more important things to worry about than my geek hobby ;)

I DO apologize if I've got on some folks nerves. Not my intention whatsoever. Sorry.

Anyhoo......here's 3 things I've seen that I really LIKE so far about 4E.

1) Playing online. This will work great for me. I'm a single dad and have a wonderful GF so needless to say I have little"me only" free time and generally can't plan ANYTHING in advance. Being able to run/join a pickup game is a REALLY cool feature (not as cool as Face to Face, but I'm trying to be glass half full here)

2) I have to say the mention of a Warlock in the PHB creeped me out (from a grognard standpoint). However, I can def see me using that SOB as a great villian. I thought the "teleport to hell" ability sounded rather badass.

3) I just got a gander at the new stat block. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU WOTC. Yeesh. I HATE 3.X stat blocks. It was worse than the old full stats for RuneQuest monsters. Very cool.

Anyone care to add 3 cool things they like?

Gundark

Explorer
Yeah here are mine.

1) I love the new monster stat-block. I mean how could combat drag on with a stat block like that?

2) The new stat block really gives me hope that prep time will be cut severly

3) I love the class powers. Granted I'll be changing the names, but they're still a good idea.

BTW. this thread won't be half as popular as a negative one....unfortunetly

1) Move to encounter based abilities. Now, we haven't seen the actual implementation, but if they didn't screw this up (which I doubt), I think this will greatly improve the game for me.

2) New Monster / Challenge System. It sounds really interesting. I liked 3rd editions CR, it's the only game I ever played so far that includes any indicators how difficult a combat will be (without deep knowledge of underlying mechanics.). But it had some flaws, mainly because it broke down ones you got into the extremes (many weak monsters, single strong ones, unusual party setup).
And the fact that monsters follow a base guideline on statistics means that making up new ones (even on the fly) will be a lot easier than with 3rd edition, and I will not even have a bad conscience just because I didn't bother to calculate skill points total or the exact BAB and HD...

3) Social Challenges. The 3rd edition social skills where a good idea, but the implementation left something to be desired (specifically Diplomacy). And it was just a single roll. Now, a more complex system to resolve social situations sounds great.

Paraxis

Explorer
1) The concept of simplified skills, how ever they do it.

2) The idea that a Dwarven, Human, and Elven member of Class X will be different and have access to different abilities to augment the class.

3) The saves as a static defense that needs to be overcome by the acting character.

Dave Turner

First Post
1) The decision to use different rules for PCs and monsters: it's a bold decision that addresses the staggering prep time that 3.5E DMs face

2) Retuning the "sweet spot" of the game: I argue in part that 3.5E's sweet spot ends because the monster bookkeeping becomes overwhelming, which ties into my first point. But I think that WotC will also be retuning the spell lists to push potentially game-breaking spells, such as teleport, to the end of the range.

3) Per encounter abilities: a welcome change that avoids the "wizard and the light crossbow" problem.

4) Wholesale importation of the Tome of Battle into the core: yes, this is a fourth point. Not much needs to be said, except that this reinvigorates martial classes the same way that per encounter abilities energize spellcasters.

Li Shenron

Legend
My candidate 3 top things are:

1) The significantly lowered importance of magic equipment for a PC

2) The racial progressions

3) The general simplification of rules in combat

The Little Raven

First Post
My favorite three:

1. More action. Characters kick more ass for more levels.
2. Less math. The game looks like it's less an exercise in how many numbers you can juggle and circumstances you can exploit to get the maximum bonus.
3. No monks. I like kung fu, but it needs to be done in a better method.

Dave Turner said:
1) The decision to use different rules for PCs and monsters: it's a bold decision that addresses the staggering prep time that 3.5E DMs face

2) Retuning the "sweet spot" of the game: I argue in part that 3.5E's sweet spot ends because the monster bookkeeping becomes overwhelming, which ties into my first point. But I think that WotC will also be retuning the spell lists to push potentially game-breaking spells, such as teleport, to the end of the range.

3) Per encounter abilities: a welcome change that avoids the "wizard and the light crossbow" problem.

4) Wholesale importation of the Tome of Battle into the core: yes, this is a fourth point. Not much needs to be said, except that this reinvigorates martial classes the same way that per encounter abilities energize spellcasters.
Hey, no cheating! Judge! :)

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Wow, this thread is a breath of fresh air. I really needed it right now, after all the bile.

Now:

1) Per encounter abilities - keep doing something useful, don't have a 15 minute adventuring day
2) Stat blocks simplified - thank you!
3) The end of the Christmas Tree Effect

Alnag

First Post
I like almost everything about the new game... :) But if it has to be three...

1) Per encouter abilities

2) Systematic AC/Ref/Fort/Will Defenses

3) Monster roles and party roles

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads