• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK we know the Sorcerer is Broken, How would you fix him

Psion

Adventurer
Some things I have tried or consider:

- Use song of blood from Quint Sorcerer (basically, gives the sorcerer a persistent power in exchange for spell slots)
- Allow a feat that adds a list of powers derived from a patron
- Grant bonus feats like a wizard
- Relax or eliminate the metamagic restriction (though the thought scares me a little... that may give the sorcerer too much flexibility.)
- Free heighten spell

Last edited:

IanB

First Post
More possibilities -

light armor with no casting failure
d6 HD
4 skill points to narrow the int gap

apsuman

First Post
I disagree with the premise.

However, if you were to want to add to the sorcerer to make them have more oomph, I would suggest some of the following:

Bonus feats like the wizard: extra spell, extra spell slot, eschew materials, metamgic feats, improved familiar, martial weapon proficiency.

Give them eschew materials for free at first level.

4 skill points per level.

Give them 1 spell slot, but zero known spells of the next highest level at the same time as wizards get new spells. For example, at level 5 the sorcerer could cast a third level spell but would know no third level spells -- meaning that the only spells he could cast would be metamagiced up to the higer level.

Psion

Adventurer
apsuman said:
Give them 1 spell slot, but zero known spells of the next highest level at the same time as wizards get new spells. For example, at level 5 the sorcerer could cast a third level spell but would know no third level spells -- meaning that the only spells he could cast would be metamagiced up to the higer level.

Clever. I like it.

Sejs

First Post
Eschew Materials at 1st level.
Bonus Sudden Metamagic feat at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th. Not sure if it's official or a house rule (don't have the MiniHB with me atm), but we run it that an application of Sudden Metamagic doesn't increase the casting time of a spontaneous spell.

Screwed about with the skill list a tad, but then again did that with most classes so that's not really worth mention.

NPC

First Post
I also disagree with the premise.

I say enforce the existing spellbook scribing costs/times/weight, etc. Also, run more than just one encounter a day. After the fourth or fifth encounter in a day, the sorcerer will shine.

Beyond that, I do like the idea if giving sorcerers Eschew Materials for free. Maybe even give them one martial weapon proficiency?

apsuman's metamagic idea is cool, too.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Personally, I grant the sorcerer the ability to heighten his spells for free. That means if he is casting a spell out of a higher level spell slot he can actually get the full benefit for doing so.

Another thing that I found works is to use the Planar Substitution rules from the Players Guide to the Planes or whatever it is called. The sorcerer can sacrifice a 2nd level spell known (at 5th level) to be able to imbue his energy spells with the ability to do 1/2 force damage. At a higher level, he sacrifices another spell known so that a certain number of times per day he can add his Cha bonus to spell penetration checks to breach SR. The highest level ability he gains is the ability to spontaneously cast Summon Monster spells from the appropriate spell slots.

This has massively improved sorcerer flexibility. Also, using the Arcane Bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine (hopefully someone can supply the edition number) helps a great deal.

Tzarevitch

Remove ads