• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Okay people, a little wake up call.

Having scanned through the 4e previews there are some things I am really excited about...and some that leave me thinking I should invent a time machine a try to help Gary financially before the Bloom brothers...

It is interesting that the XP chart is 'fixed' in many peoples eyes, but I however have a major problem; they still believe the game should be limited to no more than six players. I have twelve, no I can't break that into a smaller group, we only meet once a month or so as it is. Also, I have a gnomish druid in my party, that pretty much DOES screw my campaign a bit, and I really don't have the time to design a new class from scratch to do a switch over until the new PHB comes out.

Also, Prestige Classes were never allowed whole hog in my game, you had to design them from the ground up as a player to fit the campaign. So paragons set by the core rules doesn't actually help me it hinders me. I hated the Prestige Classes in 3.X out of the box and did a lot of work to keep them from eating my campaign. Now it appears I no longer have a choice.

Spells as daily powers is cool at lower levels. At higher levels, its just plain silly, wizards have become mobile artillery and not much more. Sure a creative player can work around this, but it seems so wrong to shoe-horn the class into this role from the get go. Then again the whole, controller, defender, tank, blaster.....ooops sorry thought I was playing City of Heroes there for a moment, is just wrong. If I wanted a party made up of a single class in previous editions it was fine and dandy, now its suicide or at least close to it. No longer can an all thieves campaign be viable without some heavy modification, which was fine when I was younger, but I'm too old and don't have the time for it anymore.

That being said, at some point, we have to make the switch, playing an out of date system is usually more trouble than its worth. I just hope I can keep my WoW players from trying to use WoW tactics at my table, because I might just have to just somebody...

SSquirrel

Explorer
Well, our group only has a DM and 3 players. I extrapolated the encounter XP chart to allow for 3 players. Wouldn't be hard to do the same for 12 players. They designed the groups based on what they have found MOST groups have. Most groups do typically have 4-6 players. I've played in long term games w/a dozen players and it can be fun but it can also be headaches.

Single class parties COULD work in previous editions, depending on what the DM chose to throw at you. If he was tailoring things to play to their strengths, sure it was easy.
Throwing a bunch of undead at a group of say 4 Rogues? Especially in 3E? Ouch. 4 Clerics on the other hand would roll thru most everything :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads