• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Okay, where do you stand on diagonal movement?

What is your preferred system for diagnonal movement?

• 1-1-1-1 (as per D&D 4th Edition)

Votes: 206 47.4%
  • 1-2-1-2 (as per D&D 3rd Edition)

Votes: 122 28.0%
  • 2-2-2-2 (as per Star Wars Saga Edition)

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 1-2-2-2 (as suggested by some ENWorld posters)

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Bypass the whole issue by using a hex grid, or no grid at all

Votes: 70 16.1%
  • Other (please specify below)

Votes: 19 4.4%

• Poll closed .

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
EricNoah said:
1-2-1-2 works well and accurately enough for me.

Yep, though we just call it "Diagonal counts as one-and-a-half". And just for the record my group has been playing that way since before 3E.

-- El-Has Used Minis/Battlemat and AoOs since 1996-Remmen

keterys

First Post
1-1-1-1 is almost guaranteed to go up (though who knows how much) - I expected 1-2-1-2 to be in better shape due to being 'the standard' and 1-1-1-1 being relatively unknown. Once it is the standard, it'll be a question of people wanting to make a change from it rather than to it.

Demigonis

First Post
I like it 4E's way. 1-1-1-1 for normal movement in any direction, 2,2,2,2 for movement through difficult terrain in any direction. Stream-lined.

I prefer 1-2-1-2, but I'm willing to give 4E a try as written first.

In our 4E playtest, the 1-1-1 diagonals certainly sped things up, but my players thought that it would lead to too many diagonal exploits, so I don't think they'd have a problem house ruling back to 1-2-1-2.

I may just flip my battlemat more often to use the hexes. I generally prefer hexes for outdoor encounters, though sometimes I'm too lazy to flip it.

Edit: You know, what might work well would be a battlemap with just dots from the center of the hexes (like some older wargames boards) without the hexes themselves. No hex lines, so it's less confusing to draw stright walls, and character movement keys off the dots rather than the hex spaces. No need for rulers, either.

Last edited:

Darkthorne

First Post
I voted for 1-1-1-1. Between difficult terrain, active spells or trying to figure out if it's a mark that didn't erase from the map's last use plus the added in nuisance of I have 1 more square to move but the pathway is diagonally so I lose movement is a tad annoying.

ptolemy18

First Post
The poll should specify that 1.2.1.2 movement is from 3.5 edition, not "3rd edition." I generally prefer 3.0 to 3.5 in every way, including 1.1.1.1 movement, so for me, the use of 1.1.1.1 in 4e is just getting one small, nice bone tossed to me. ;)

Remove ads