• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old Fashioned Hand Drawn Maps (with Tutorial)

darjr

I crit!
Very cool. How long have you been doing this? And I noticed that you've done commissions. Any products that have your maps in them?

Dyson - I haven't been to ENWorld in, literally, YEARS. And I get back here, and run into your beautiful maps. Love 'em!

If you haven't, you REALLY need to post the tutorial to the blog.

And finally, are you a member of the Cartographer's Guild? I can't remember, but anyway, you SHOULD be.

Very cool. How long have you been doing this? And I noticed that you've done commissions. Any products that have your maps in them?

Just one to date. Alleys of Zobeck from Open Design.

The problem is that most people who want to commission me based on my dungeon designs end up asking me to draw buildings, towns and regional maps, things I am not good at.

Dyson - I haven't been to ENWorld in, literally, YEARS. And I get back here, and run into your beautiful maps. Love 'em!

If you haven't, you REALLY need to post the tutorial to the blog.

And finally, are you a member of the Cartographer's Guild? I can't remember, but anyway, you SHOULD be.

Yep, it's on the blog. I should push it to the front page again soon because I enjoy reading it. I like to admire my presentation style on occasion.

And yeah, I'm a member of the Guild, but I don't post there often because I just don't have time between my blog and occasionally talking about my blog here and on big purple.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=83678]Dyson Logos[/MENTION] A silly question: Is your poche (the hatched shading) hand-drawn or do you use a digital paintbrush template?

Mercutio01

First Post
Just one to date. Alleys of Zobeck from Open Design.

The problem is that most people who want to commission me based on my dungeon designs end up asking me to draw buildings, towns and regional maps, things I am not good at.
Weren't your designs on the DungeonMorph dice? I thought that was where I first ran across your maps over a year ago.

Also, thanks for the awesome tutorial.

@Dyson Logos A silly question: Is your poche (the hatched shading) hand-drawn or do you use a digital paintbrush template?

Go back a page to the first page of this thread, my second post is a tutorial on how I do this... by hand. Also indicated by the thread name of "Hand Drawn Maps".

Weren't your designs on the DungeonMorph dice? I thought that was where I first ran across your maps over a year ago.

Also, thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Yes, actually. A bunch of my designs are also on the DungeonMorph dice, but the style isn't mine anymore once they got to dice. That said, the FORMAT of the DungeonMorphs is 100% mine - when I started drawing geomorphs for my own use I checked out all the existing standard geomorph designs and decided I didn't like them much - so I went out and created a new standard for my own drawings. The format is 2.5" x 2.5" on standard 4 quad graph paper with 2 entrances on each side on the third and seventh squares. I then posted over a hundred geomorphs using this base structure, and many other bloggers caught on to the style. Now there are probably close to a thousand geomorphs out there using this format - most of which can be found on the awesome Daves Mapper ( http://www.davesmapper.com )

Quickleaf

Legend
Go back a page to the first page of this thread, my second post is a tutorial on how I do this... by hand. Also indicated by the thread name of "Hand Drawn Maps".
That's really impressive - With many of the maps on your page the cross-hatching is so precise it almost looks digitally reproduced as if by a gimp/photoshop brush! Anyhow, keep up the good work :)

Remove ads