[OMENRPG] Struggle for Dominance: Ben's PBP Game OOC

Velmont

First Post
I'll let you make the character finally, that will be easier and faster to start, but I would like to play a Awowlee Sniper.

kinem

Adventurer
I have no problems with highly accurate weapons deal high damage. But in NWoD, if you were totally untrained in melee, it was easier to hit an enemy with a chainsaw than a dagger... So the problem would be devastating (high damage) weapons are suddenly very accurate. But as I said, let's throw some dice before judging anything :)

Maybe a combination would be a good system: a weapon has a base damage, and you do extra damage if your attack roll was better than you needed to hit.

Anyway, this should be a good playtest :)

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Awesome [MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13739]Velmont[/MENTION]. [MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION] did you still want to build your character or would you like me to make you one? I have six more pre-made but I can whip up any concept you'd desire in a jiffy (I have become quite familiar with my own system, after all.)

The general premise of the game is set on a deep-space station far from the warmth of any star or atmosphere of a planet. A very powerful and highly influential awowlee is in currently in control of the station, and most of the station's people view him as a governor or king of sorts. He has a small but highly skilled group of soldiers who work for him full time, but major issues require hiring mercenaries. That's where the party comes in.

You can either be hired on individually or as a team, I will let you guys decide. Typically being part of a pre-established team works easier, and you can develop a reason to already know one another without that awkward early adventuring phase (although I quite like that phase in the right circumstances.)

So, if you want to build a character or have me build one for you, bear in mind that the premise of this adventure is that you are either being coerced, hired, or convinced (maybe of your own choice) to work for the awowlee station boss as the situation is beginning to spiral out of control. Once I make the actual thread I will go into much more detail, but this should give you a sense of where this is headed.

Please feel free to ask questions, the more questions and clarity the better. Thanks! Let me know those of you who haven't selected/built a character.

kinem

Adventurer
Ben, I'd like a prebuilt character. Are combat skills the ones that would mainly be useful for this?

The vague character concept I started to form is of a former cop who prefers and uses non-lethal weapons such as a taser, net launcher, sonic beam, tranquilizer darts, etc. I'm not sure if that's feasible for this though.

I could take the sniper, though.

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Well [MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION] , the beauty of OMEN is that there are many ways to engage in various encounters. The playtest that I have built is pretty open, in fact one of the groups that I have running it at the office has almost completely avoided combat, and the combat that they did engage in was ended very quickly.

A social character is very powerful, as there is a type of action called an "Assist" in which a character can give a +4 bonus to the roll of another character, as long as the assist makes feasible sense. This can even apply to attacks. So, for instance, you can "shoot your gun" but not actually make an attack, and instead apply that in-character action as a mechanical Assist for your best shot in the group. There are also plenty of bonuses / penalties / effects that can be created from the Influence category of specialties.

Your ex-cop sounds cool, although the idea of a "cop" doesn't really exist on this specific station. Think more African warlord or early medieval ages rather than Bladerunner. Even though there is sci-fi tech, the society has sort of devolved. The closest thing to a cop would be one of the boss' full-time enforcers. And that would make perfect sense if you had wanted to work for him in the future for extra cash/resources.

One of the most prevalent non-lethal or lethal weapons is called a KEM, or a kinetic energy manipulator. It uses no ammo, but essentially is just an energy cannon. It can shoot up to 80 feet, but is effective up to about 50. It can lift stuff, smash stuff, crush stuff, push bad guys, or even be used as propulsion in or out of gravity. There is also what is called a PLUG, or a photo-luminescent utility gun. A PLUG is essentially a small reactor that creates high-density radiation of various frequencies. It is particularly useful / nasty depending on the desired effects, as it can cause accelerated molecular growth for healing purposes, or can separate molecules in an organic life form.

It is very small, and many different combat medics use them strapped either to their gun or their hand. It can induce sickness, death, dizzyness, blindness, deafness, various toxins and effects, and a multitude of other nastiness.

Because the OMEN universe is so massive, there are a wide range of customized weapons, and if you want to think of using one like a net gun or darts or something like that, then it could certainly be made. People of OMEN are very fastidious when it comes to saving resources, so capturing people is often an avenue to either owning a slave, ransoming that person back to his or her group/family/gang, or getting 150 pounds of meat and 30 pounds of water out of them (I know, gross, but cannibalism is somewhat common in OMEN.)

One of my favorite playtest characters was a guy who wanted zero, and I mean zero, combat ability. He pumped all of his points into his knowledge skills and technology skills, and basically just built stuff for the party and served as a secondary healer of sorts. He was extremely valuable and well-loved by the party. Even though they got in many fights, his use of knowledge could always assist, and he became quite legendary after a short while.

Eventually the party was captured, and he was able to essentially sell his services / expertise so that the rest of them could be let go. It was quite interesting and moving, if I say so myself.

The point being of all this, think of any kind of character you want that kind of fits, and I will make it work. Just bear in mind that you have to be good at something useful to a station boss who is more interested in squashing resistance than learning about physics.

The sniper has already been taken by Velmont, and I'd rather not have duplicates. That being said, I can definitely create somebody who is very proficient with guns. If you haven't already, check out omenrpg.com/species and look over the different creatures you can play as. One of my favorites are the Turtik, as they are sort of like if dinosaurs grew to the intellect of humans the way that the descendants of apes did on Earth. They're very athletic and fast and typically respected by most of the species, as they never got involved directly in the Void Wars.

They also have a penchant for using melee weapons, so that could make sense as a non-lethal enforcer or someone good at capturing/apprehending bad guys.

[MENTION=30034]ghostcat[/MENTION] do you have any thoughts about your character? Or I can just slap a pre-made one on ya if you'd like.

Remove ads