• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On a scale of 1-10 how would U rate Dawnforge?

Jehosephat

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I'm going to take the minority stance (or at least, so it seems in my experience) and suggest you go for Dawnforge over Midnight.

Now, don't get me wrong. Midnight is an incredible setting. But it's less D&D than Dawnforge is. By that I mean, there's a lot more in the way of changes to core rules and fundamental concepts. In many respects, it's almost more of a D&D-based d20 game than true D&D. That's not a bad thing, but judging from your posts, I'd wager it's not what you were looking for.

I also think--purely my own opinion here, of course--that Dawnforge provides a wider array of types of game you can play. In Midnight, you pretty much have to run a fairly dark, gritty campaign. (Okay, you don't have to, but it's what the setting's designed for.) Dawnforge is designed for high-fantasy epic play, but it's easier to work dark themes (or comic themes, or tragic themes, or the like) into a broader, epic setting than it is to work lighter elements into a setting designed to be dark. (Again, IMO.)

Still, this is not me putting down Midnight in any way. If you decide to with that one instead, it'll still be a good choice. FFG knows what they're doing. :)

Mouseferatu,

thanks for the reply. I am really glad you posted. I read your comments in the thread that I was referred to. I understand that Dawnforge is near and dear, especially since you worked on it. That's super-cool, BTW. And I hope you don't take my interest in Midnight personal, because I think as a setting Dawnforge would rock.

Truth is I am having a hard time making my decision. I love the High Fantasy/Epic approach of Dawnforge. On the other hand the idea of Dark Lords and people being killed on the spot for possessing weapons and/or armor is pretty cool too. From what I read, some of Midnight does look like a departure from the tradional d20 D&D setting. You're right, my first instinct is to find a traditional setting that's more in the flavor of D&D. Especially when you consider that the other rule books I am reading now is also a departure frome D&D d20 (Mutants & Masterminds, Call of Cthulhu d20, Silver Age Sentinels Tri-Stat, and Adventure! d20).

I did have a few concerns though about Dawnforge, maybe you can help. I have seen a few places where people have said that it was a bit sparse on details. May be that those are just a few smaller details that will be addressed later? I'm just concerned that those are significant details. Also, if I am understanding correctly, there are no clerics or druids (that doesn't seem to D&D like). What was done with the setting to compensate for this? Are there any character classes similar? Thanks.

Jehosephat said:
Mouseferatu,

thanks for the reply. I am really glad you posted. I read your comments in the thread that I was referred to. I understand that Dawnforge is near and dear, especially since you worked on it. That's super-cool, BTW. And I hope you don't take my interest in Midnight personal, because I think as a setting Dawnforge would rock.

Truth is I am having a hard time making my decision. I love the High Fantasy/Epic approach of Dawnforge. On the other hand the idea of Dark Lords and people being killed on the spot for possessing weapons and/or armor is pretty cool too. From what I read, some of Midnight does look like a departure from the tradional d20 D&D setting. You're right, my first instinct is to find a traditional setting that's more in the flavor of D&D. Especially when you consider that the other rule books I am reading now is also a departure frome D&D d20 (Mutants & Masterminds, Call of Cthulhu d20, Silver Age Sentinels Tri-Stat, and Adventure! d20).

I did have a few concerns though about Dawnforge, maybe you can help. I have seen a few places where people have said that it was a bit sparse on details. May be that those are just a few smaller details that will be addressed later? I'm just concerned that those are significant details. Also, if I am understanding correctly, there are no clerics or druids (that doesn't seem to D&D like). What was done with the setting to compensate for this? Are there any character classes similar? Thanks.

Wouldn't even begin to take your interest in Midnight personally. It's a fantastic setting. :) Besides, I really didn't do a lot of work on Dawnforge. I just wrote up the sections on the Kingsmarch and Sildanyr (two of the world's countries/regions).

My own tastes run toward both darker settings and epic fantasy, which is why I like both. I tend to find that darker worlds are better for short campaigns, with longer campaigns working better with epic settings, but that's just my own experience. I know lots of people who have found otherwise.

As far as people saying Dawnforge lacks detail, well, I'm not certain what they're referring to, so I can't fairly address it. Sure, the world has room for expansion; what world doesn't after only one core book? (Well, okay, maybe Arduin. Man, that book's huge. ;)) I know that FFG has plans for further expansions (and in fact the Age of Legend book, which is already out, does a pretty good job of offering additional options), but I don't know what they are. (I'm not currently engaged to write any future Dawnforge material, but I'd jump at the chance if our schedules could be worked out.)

You're right, the book has no clerics or druids, and that is a change from standard D&D. It has various classe to fill the same general niches, though, so you shouldn't find your party or gaming experience at all lacking. It still uses the same general magic system. (As opposed to Midnight, which uses an entirely different magic system and only has something like three or four core classes in common with core D&D. Again, I'm not telling you that to turn you off the setting, just so you know that it's further from core D&D than Dawnforge.)

My ultimate advice? If you have the funds, buy both. :)

Ogrebear

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
As far as people saying Dawnforge lacks detail, well, I'm not certain what they're referring to, so I can't fairly address it. Sure, the world has room for expansion; what world doesn't after only one core book?

Well from my pov- and mine only- I thought some of the background details on the Orcs was lacking, they only really appear in their race section of the book and not much anywhere else. Also details on the Giants seems a little thin- all this compared to the Human Kingdoms.

However, I do understand that this is a core book and therefore cant cover everything in detail, that's for future books. An empathis on the standard races is understandable in a core book. I was just slightly disapointed- though of course this does mean that I am interested and intreiged engough by the setting to pick up the other books now! :)

Dawnforge is very good. The Cleric and Druid replacements fit the world perfectly. Their new abilities more than compensate for the changes to the core classes. I like the Shamans a lot. The Shaper is also very well done. I like the world over all, I would recommend it over Midnight if you prefer a Epic, cinemascope style of play.

blackshirt5

First Post
Eh, I find Dawnforge's "lack of detail" actually very good. It's the only campaign setting I've picked up where I didn't really notice a lack of detail because my mind just started filling in any holes. It really jumpstarts my thought process, which I find really great. The Spirit Adept is a really cool new base class, the Shapers, Shamans, and Disciples are cool too, and the racial bonuses make it so that you don't have to rely so much on magic items. Definitely a 9/10 for me, the highest of ANY campaign setting so far(it's the only campaign setting I'd run).

Jehosephat

First Post
Alas, I wish I could get both Dawnforge and Midnight. But this time it's a one or the other deal. However, if I get Dawnforge, I will also be getting the Age of Legend suppliment along with it.

Also, I think as Mouse said, it would be easier to add dark elements to a setting of High Fantasy as opposed to the other way around. That's just my opinion though.

Based on the responses that I got, I think I will be very satisfied with Dawnforge.

Remove ads