On Kickstarter There Are More Successful Projects But Creators Earning 30% Less

More successful campaigns but smaller shares of the pie!

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 16.07.35.png

A report from Polygon, which used data from Tabletop Analytics ( site which collects data about Kickstarter campaigns) indicates that while the tabletop segment of the crowdfunding platform is still growing, individual creators are getting smaller shares of the pie.

Individual creators earned an average of 30% less in 2023 compared to 2019, despite there being 22% more successful campaigns.

Interestingly, Kickstarter has historically shared data directly, but this year has declined to do so. Head of Communications at Kickstarter, Nikki Kris, told Polygon that "We’re not disclosing specifics around the total dollars raised at this time". However the data is available from Tabletop Analytics which draws from the public-facing campaign data on the platform.

In 2023 Kickstarter as a whole earned $10.2 million less from tabletop than in 2022; but in 2021 the decline was far steeper, a drop of $33.6 million--most likely caused by the ending of the pandemic lockdowns. However, it's still $50 million up from before the pandemic, while individual creators are 30% down. More campaigns, less money for each one.

Of course, the number of TTRPG million-dollar Kickstarters doesn't seem to be suffering. 11 in 2021, a drop to 7 in 2022, and then 10 more in 2023. Kickstarter is also starting to face competition from Backerkit which is starting to get a few million-dollar campaigns of its own.

Million Dollar TTRPG Crowdfunders-10.png

mamba

Legend
MCDM was an outlier, though. Unless we see a trend of $4M campaigns on Backerkit.
it was definitely the largest Backerkit campaign this / last year. There were some others I am aware of, but I have no idea how large they are combined

MGibster

Legend
This is a little disheartening. For some reason, I was just under the impression that creators were able to make a bit more through crowdfunding than they would through conventional publishing means. But I guess being able to fund something doesn't mean people are being paid more. Man, it's tough making a living with RPGs. My hats off to those of you who do it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a little disheartening. For some reason, I was just under the impression that creators were able to make a bit more through crowdfunding than they would through conventional publishing means. But I guess being able to fund something doesn't mean people are being paid more. Man, it's tough making a living with RPGs. My hats off to those of you who do it.
It's still the best place to sell your TTRPG book, bar none. (For small publishers, of course; not those like WotC with massive distribution chains).

You probably end up with more like me. I finally published the setting my wife and I developed over three decades. It probably cost around $1000 plus our time to develop the book. We've made… 150 on dtrpg? Over several months? Unless you already have a following, there is really not a lot of reason to do this unless you just want to see your book in print.

Remove ads

Remove ads