• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E On the healing options in the 5e DMG

pemerton

Legend
Gary Gygax is no longer with us so we will never ever know exactly what he meant in those earlier editions with regards to HP.
Gary Gygax wrote his DMG in ordinary English.

When he says that "damage scored to characters . . . is actually not substantially physical . . . until the last handful of hit points are considered" (p 61), that "damage is not actually sustained - at least in proportion to the number of hit points marked off in most cases" (p 81), that "hit points are not actually a measure of physicl ldamage, by and large, as far as characters . . . are concerned" (p 61), he is not speaking ambiguously. He is saying, as plain as day, that hit points are not substantially physical!

This is also the reason he gives for the absence of a hit location system (p 61):

[H]it points are not actually a measure of physical damage, by and large . . . Therefore the location of hits and the type of damage caused are not germane to them."​

How much clearer do you want him to have been?
In order to rationalise the high hit points of high level characters, they started to attribute it to ideas of fatigue, winded, luck, morale, etc. That's the sole reason
No. I've just shown that Gygax also uses that reason to explain why no hit location system is needed - because serious injuries aren't actually being suffered.

In 4e, the latent capabiities of the approach are further developed, via inspirational healing, a much more straightforward approach to recovery times that is easy to house rule depending on desired pacing (and the 5e DMG actually spells this out), etc.

some of you have been banging on about 4th edition and how it supposedly better represented HP. Well I'm afraid it is actually the worst edition to handle HP and I will tell you why.

1st: Let's look at what the PHB says about Hit Points.

Over the course of a battle, you take damage from attacks. Hit points (hp) measure your ability to stand up to punishment, turn deadly strikes into glancing blows, and stay on your feet throughout a battle. Hit points represent more than physical endurance. They represent your character’s skill, luck, and resolve—all the factors that combine to help you stay alive in a combat situation.

Hmmmm looks to me like we have a bit of vague wording here when it says "Hit points represent more than just physical endurance". As you can see there is no ratio here as to what the physical part is and what the rest is.
Yout don't need a rate. That is the point of flexible hit points (which [MENTION=82779]MechaPilot[/MENTION] and others have emphasised in this thread). You can narrate them as is appropriate to the particular situation.

This point also applies in response to the following:

Problem is, to get poison that causes fatigue etc needs to prick the skin which equates to meat.

<snip>

If an attack hits, there are other repercussions (e.g. poison, paralysis, drain, etc) yet if this attack that hits isn't meat, how do we account for these side-effects?
You narrate as is required.

Remember, in the typical case no grown adult is going to die, or even be seriously impeded, from the mere physical injury of a snake or spider bite. So it's not as if you need to deduct some amount of "meat points" to reflect the puncture wound. So whether the snake's bite hits or misses shouldn't matter to hit points on a "meat" approach.

Likewis a ghoul's scratch or a spectre's touch. There is no requirement to deduct "meat" points to reflect the fact that, as the character tries to dodge or block the undead manages to touch him/her on the face, or slash its claws across an exposed piece of skin, thereby draining the level or paralysing the hapless victim.

Healing Surges: Well the book doesn't actually tell you in game what they represent but they allow you to heal injuries
Where does it say this?

Heaing surges, when unlocked and spent, allow you to regain hit points. The three most common ways that healing surges are unlocked is (i) by taking a short rest, (ii) by being inspired by rousing words or divine invocation (Inspiring Word, Healing Word, Majestic Word, Word of Vigour, etc), (iii) by getting one's second wind.

The correct inference to draw is that regaining hit points isn't about healing injuries at all, but rather about refocusing, resurgence, getting one's breath, bucking up.

the fact that you can go from negatives and unconscious to back to full health by using them.
Again, what this tells us is that unconsciousness does not mean "in a coma due to blood loss and trauma". It is quite different, in this respect, from negative hit points in 1st ed AD&D, which incapacitate for a week (unless a heal spell is used) and which - if they drop to -6 or below - licence the GM to narrate "scarring or the loss of some member, if you so choose" (DMG p 82).

Only if a character actually dies does it turn out that the hit point loss also corresponded to a fatal injury. Hence the need for somewhat oblique narration - much as Tolkien uses to describe Frodo's injury in Moria.

There is no point in actually having armour if we look at other mechanics such as damage on a miss.

<snip>

See how the inconsistencies start to emerge?
<snip>

when you start adding in the narrative and description of the mechanics it becomes an absolute mess of inconsistencies.
A bit like Luke in the tree on Dagobah, the only inconsistencies are those you are brining with you.

Armour in 4e is mostly a class feature that determines access to magic item types - ACs tend to be relatively similar for all characters (moreso than other defences, which can show quite wide variation - upto +/-8 or 9 for the 28th level PCs in my 4e game, compared to +/-4 for AC).

Damage on a miss is amost always less than damage on a hit (typically one-half), and hence being missed is as worthwhile as saving vs a fireball in AD&D (ie worthwhile). Typically, also, being missed reduces or negates the adverse conditions that a hit woud otherwise impose.

Different damage for different weapons: What's the point in this if weapons aren't really actually hitting anyone?[/qoute]It's contributes colour to the game: heavier weapons wear opponents down more effectively.

In 4e, it also introduces a mechanical system into the game: typically, for most characters, the meaningful choice is between a weapon that is +2 to hit and does dX damage, or a weapon that is +3 to hit but does d(X-2) damage.

Why would a "hit" but described as not really making contact but making the person winded from a greatsword cause more damage than a dagger if neither weapon is actually hitting?
Presumably for the same reason that, when you dodge the breath weapon of an ancient dragon you take more damage than when you dodge the breath weapon of a young dragon: the attack is fiercer, and so the dodging sets you back more.

Using strength to do more damage: Again, what is the point in this? Strength has to do with physical power and if most HP is not meat then this is pointless and makes no sense.
There are two responses to this.

First, the stronger a blow, the harder it is to block.

Second, many melee attacks in 4e are not made using STR. Many clerics, and avengers, use WIS. Thieves, monks and some raners use DEX. Many paladins and some arcane casters use CHA. Etc. In 4e, the different attack stats are part of class flavour, and they reflect the capacity of the attacking character to force his/her will upon an enemy.

Let's look at a few powers
Powers are abilities that players use, when playing their PCs, to attack NPCs and monsters. They don't tell us much about what a PC's hit points mean.

You will have noted in my quotes from Gygax that he distinguishes characters and creatures. 4e does the same, but extends the distinction to PCs and NPCs. NPCs don't typically have more than 1 or 2 healing surges, and typically have no way to unlock them outside of a short rest (eg they don't have second wind or other in-combat healing abiliites). The GM can narrate hit point loss to an NPC or monster however s/he likes. But if s/he narrates, say, a hand being cut off, Healing Word is not going to stick it back on! You would need at least Remove Affliction (an 8th level ritual) for that.

As long as you remember that, for a PC, the only time that hit point loss means serious injury is when s/he dies, or otherwise suffers some lingering condition that can't be got rid of via surge expenditure, you won't have any trouble narrating 4e.

There's a huge difference between the bulk of hit points (as a collective) being metaphysical, and the top X% being metaphysical while the last one is always pure meat. Saying that someone can be at half, and yet barely show any signs of injury, requires substantial interpretation to which many others may not agree. It was codified in 4E that above-half is purely meta-physical and below-half was nicks and scratches, but that was not the case in 2E or 3E.
Perhaps. I am talking only about 1st ed AD&D - which I have quoted extensively - and 4e, which in my view takes that AD&D system and builds on its strength while eliminating its wonky elements (non-proportional healing being the main one).

Exercising this option in 4E required altering every instance of non-magical healing, down to the healing surge. It is no trivial task. It is significantly easier in 5E.
Not at all.

If you want to play hit points as meat, I assume that you will not be using warlords. You can also ban the fighter powers that permit self-healing if you want. (Alternatively, you can treat them as monk-like training, ki power etc). As I have posited, you will be increasing the resting times, so a short rest will not take 5 minutes. Hence, the only other bit of non-magical healing left is the second wind, which is a single surge, and hence (in the absence of magic items or special abilities) is 25% of hit points once between short rests. And therefore no threat to hit points as meat.

It's easy as pie. You just have to set your healing times - I would suggest 8 hours for a short rest, but you might prefer 24, and then 1 week for an extended rest, though you might prefer 1 month.

In real life, perhaps, but that's not the fictional world in which these stories take place. A fictional warrior might be shot six times, and keep coming at you, while someone else will get shot once and go down.

<snip>

To put it another way, there's nothing inconsistent with the view that those metaphysical parts of your HP total are the things that allow someone to survive a wound that would have killed someone else.
Generally, when a character like Boromir has been shot six times and keeps coming, s/he collapses at the end. I prefer for this sort of thing to be handled via a "frenzy"-type mechanic, or perhaps damage reduction.

that speaks only of your own perspective, and your own inability to compromise verisimilitude in the name of gameplay. No model is perfect
I prefer gameplay that upholds verisimilitude. Hence for heroic action, I like hit points. For grit, I prefer a system that actually delivers gritty results, like RQ, HARP or Burning Wheel.

pemerton

Legend
I agree.

Minions just like any other monster in the game are simply a game construct to achieve an effect. They are not real creatures. They exist for effect and for effect only.
I would word it slightly differently.

Minions are as real as any other creatures in the game - ie they "exist" in the imaginary world of the game.

But being a minion is not part of that fiction. Just as hit points are not part of that fiction. Being a minion is a metagame status - it means that every hit struck against the creature/NPC by a PC will be fatal. It's a type of "unluck" token.

As you say, minion status is mechanical, not fictional, and is a device for handling pacing and antagonism. If a monster or NPC is a minion, the GM is declaring "this particular character will not have a speaking part in this combat!" If it turns out that the GM has misjudged - if, through some quirk or other of play, a minion does become the main focus of play - then probably the best response is to revise the mechanical overlay. Ie eliminate the minion status, and let the character have a full complement of hit ponts and capabilities.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Question for those that believe 4E was the outlier for the hp=meat crowd. Could it be that 4E just gives too many hit points?
Personally, it is not a factor per se, for me the hp=meat is about feel, not about numbers game. In that way I don't care if the hp is 10 or 100, that doesn't break my suspension of disbelief, and I would guess that is unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Non-magical ultrafast Recovery in 6 seconds and a natural limit to magical healing that makes it feel less magical, that indeed breaks it.

Not at all.

If you want to play hit points as meat, I assume that you will not be using warlords. You can also ban the fighter powers that permit self-healing if you want. (Alternatively, you can treat them as monk-like training, ki power etc). As I have posited, you will be increasing the resting times, so a short rest will not take 5 minutes. Hence, the only other bit of non-magical healing left is the second wind, which is a single surge, and hence (in the absence of magic items or special abilities) is 25% of hit points once between short rests. And therefore no threat to hit points as meat.

It's easy as pie. You just have to set your healing times - I would suggest 8 hours for a short rest, but you might prefer 24, and then 1 week for an extended rest, though you might prefer 1 month.

Generally, when a character like Boromir has been shot six times and keeps coming, s/he collapses at the end. I prefer for this sort of thing to be handled via a "frenzy"-type mechanic, or perhaps damage reduction.

I prefer gameplay that upholds verisimilitude. Hence for heroic action, I like hit points. For grit, I prefer a system that actually delivers gritty results, like RQ, HARP or Burning Wheel.

I'm grateful for your suggestions, but I'm not sure you get the idea we are looking for, merely because you are conflating the healing problem with the resource recovery problem, just handwaving a short rest to 8 hours won't really help, it is just a refluf with no changes to the overal dynamic, in order to get the feel, healing ought to have on a different schedule than power recovery (which also throws away all balance). And don't take me too serioulsy on this, but I feel second wind is an even bigger offender than warlord healing.

And on the verosimilitude, it varies greatly between people, to me all of the editions before 4e are fairly verosimile on hp, but that is my own threshold for suspension fo disbelief, certain editions are more believable in certain things and less believable in others, it all comes to working around them whenever you can. (and when people can't... just google "what's wrong with Ad&d?" so much vitriol and badwrongfun)

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Gary Gygax wrote his DMG in ordinary English.

When he says that "damage scored to characters . . . is actually not substantially physical . . . until the last handful of hit points are considered" (p 61), that "damage is not actually sustained - at least in proportion to the number of hit points marked off in most cases" (p 81), that "hit points are not actually a measure of physicl ldamage, by and large, as far as characters . . . are concerned" (p 61), he is not speaking ambiguously. He is saying, as plain as day, that hit points are not substantially physical!

This is also the reason he gives for the absence of a hit location system (p 61):

[H]it points are not actually a measure of physical damage, by and large . . . Therefore the location of hits and the type of damage caused are not germane to them."​

How much clearer do you want him to have been?
No. I've just shown that Gygax also uses that reason to explain why no hit location system is needed - because serious injuries aren't actually being suffered.

In 4e, the latent capabiities of the approach are further developed, via inspirational healing, a much more straightforward approach to recovery times that is easy to house rule depending on desired pacing (and the 5e DMG actually spells this out), etc.

Yout don't need a rate. That is the point of flexible hit points (which [MENTION=82779]MechaPilot[/MENTION] and others have emphasised in this thread). You can narrate them as is appropriate to the particular situation.

This point also applies in response to the following:

You narrate as is required.

Remember, in the typical case no grown adult is going to die, or even be seriously impeded, from the mere physical injury of a snake or spider bite. So it's not as if you need to deduct some amount of "meat points" to reflect the puncture wound. So whether the snake's bite hits or misses shouldn't matter to hit points on a "meat" approach.

Likewis a ghoul's scratch or a spectre's touch. There is no requirement to deduct "meat" points to reflect the fact that, as the character tries to dodge or block the undead manages to touch him/her on the face, or slash its claws across an exposed piece of skin, thereby draining the level or paralysing the hapless victim.

Where does it say this?

Heaing surges, when unlocked and spent, allow you to regain hit points. The three most common ways that healing surges are unlocked is (i) by taking a short rest, (ii) by being inspired by rousing words or divine invocation (Inspiring Word, Healing Word, Majestic Word, Word of Vigour, etc), (iii) by getting one's second wind.

The correct inference to draw is that regaining hit points isn't about healing injuries at all, but rather about refocusing, resurgence, getting one's breath, bucking up.

Again, what this tells us is that unconsciousness does not mean "in a coma due to blood loss and trauma". It is quite different, in this respect, from negative hit points in 1st ed AD&D, which incapacitate for a week (unless a heal spell is used) and which - if they drop to -6 or below - licence the GM to narrate "scarring or the loss of some member, if you so choose" (DMG p 82).

Only if a character actually dies does it turn out that the hit point loss also corresponded to a fatal injury. Hence the need for somewhat oblique narration - much as Tolkien uses to describe Frodo's injury in Moria.

A bit like Luke in the tree on Dagobah, the only inconsistencies are those you are brining with you.

Armour in 4e is mostly a class feature that determines access to magic item types - ACs tend to be relatively similar for all characters (moreso than other defences, which can show quite wide variation - upto +/-8 or 9 for the 28th level PCs in my 4e game, compared to +/-4 for AC).

Damage on a miss is amost always less than damage on a hit (typically one-half), and hence being missed is as worthwhile as saving vs a fireball in AD&D (ie worthwhile). Typically, also, being missed reduces or negates the adverse conditions that a hit woud otherwise impose.

Different damage for different weapons: What's the point in this if weapons aren't really actually hitting anyone?[/qoute]It's contributes colour to the game: heavier weapons wear opponents down more effectively.

In 4e, it also introduces a mechanical system into the game: typically, for most characters, the meaningful choice is between a weapon that is +2 to hit and does dX damage, or a weapon that is +3 to hit but does d(X-2) damage.

Presumably for the same reason that, when you dodge the breath weapon of an ancient dragon you take more damage than when you dodge the breath weapon of a young dragon: the attack is fiercer, and so the dodging sets you back more.

There are two responses to this.

First, the stronger a blow, the harder it is to block.

Second, many melee attacks in 4e are not made using STR. Many clerics, and avengers, use WIS. Thieves, monks and some raners use DEX. Many paladins and some arcane casters use CHA. Etc. In 4e, the different attack stats are part of class flavour, and they reflect the capacity of the attacking character to force his/her will upon an enemy.

Powers are abilities that players use, when playing their PCs, to attack NPCs and monsters. They don't tell us much about what a PC's hit points mean.

You will have noted in my quotes from Gygax that he distinguishes characters and creatures. 4e does the same, but extends the distinction to PCs and NPCs. NPCs don't typically have more than 1 or 2 healing surges, and typically have no way to unlock them outside of a short rest (eg they don't have second wind or other in-combat healing abiliites). The GM can narrate hit point loss to an NPC or monster however s/he likes. But if s/he narrates, say, a hand being cut off, Healing Word is not going to stick it back on! You would need at least Remove Affliction (an 8th level ritual) for that.

As long as you remember that, for a PC, the only time that hit point loss means serious injury is when s/he dies, or otherwise suffers some lingering condition that can't be got rid of via surge expenditure, you won't have any trouble narrating 4e.

Perhaps. I am talking only about 1st ed AD&D - which I have quoted extensively - and 4e, which in my view takes that AD&D system and builds on its strength while eliminating its wonky elements (non-proportional healing being the main one).

Not at all.

Look, please don't pretend to know what Gygax meant with his explanations because they weren't written in plain english. There are lots of grey areas that can be interpreted differently. Also, walls of text don't really make your answers correct. You ask me where it says about Healing Surges and healing injuries. Well for a person who defends 4th edition so much, you don't seem to know it very well if you are making comments like that. The game already acknowledges that HP has a portion that is meat, yet you can go from negative HP, which is a sign that you have been physically injured, to full in a matter of moments so yes they can heal injuries.

pemerton

Legend
you are conflating the healing problem with the resource recovery problem, just handwaving a short rest to 8 hours won't really help, it is just a refluf with no changes to the overal dynamic, in order to get the feel, healing ought to have on a different schedule than power recovery
I'm not sure what you mean by "no changes to the overall dynamic". In many campaigns, the difference between resting for 5 minutes and resting for a day will change the dynamic quite considerably. For instance, the world can change much more in a day than in 5 minutes.

As for power recovery being on a different schedule from hit point recovery - I don't really see what that has to do with hit points as meat. That just seems mostly a device for making sure that, for practical purposes, all healing is magical, because the cleric spells will be regained more quickly than hit points are recovered without them. A knock-on consequence of this is that the pacing of play tends to be driven more by the players of the magic-using than the martial PCs.

That may or may not be a good thing, but seems completely orthogonal to hp as meat. If you want to achieve that effect, you can change the rest times for hit point recovery but not spell recovery: in 5e that would be spell short rest 1 hour, hit point short rest/spell long rest 8 hr, hit point long rest 1 week. It still seems pretty easy to me.

please don't pretend to know what Gygax meant with his explanations because they weren't written in plain english. There are lots of grey areas that can be interpreted differently.
I've quoted them. They're in plain English. Where are the grey areas?

He says that, by and large, hit point loss does not correlate to physical damage. He says that this is why there is no need for a hit location system. He links this to the rationale for poison saves - a successful poison save indicates that the hit point loss associated with the hit did not correlate to physical injection of the venom.

What do you think he meant?

The game already acknowledges that HP has a portion that is meat, yet you can go from negative HP, which is a sign that you have been physically injured, to full in a matter of moments so yes they can heal injuries.
Negative hit oints need not be a sign that you have been seriously injured - it might be a swoon.

And in any event, regaining consciousness doesn't indicate that the injury is healed. It just indicates that the injury is no longer a burden on the character's ability to fight. It's like a boxer getting up as the referee is counting. The damage caused by the blow to the head has not healed - the fighter is going on despite it.

If you insist on equating hit point tracking with physical events - injury or physical healing - than 4e won't make sense. That's why everyone on this thread who is explaining how 4e works for them is pointing out that, in 4e, hit points don't correlate in that sort of way.

MechaPilot

Explorer
You ask me where it says about Healing Surges and healing injuries. Well for a person who defends 4th edition so much, you don't seem to know it very well if you are making comments like that. The game already acknowledges that HP has a portion that is meat, yet you can go from negative HP, which is a sign that you have been physically injured, to full in a matter of moments so yes they can heal injuries.

As has already been mentioned, regardless of which edition one is talking about simple HP loss is a very poor way to model injuries. Losing X HPs from an arrow to the leg/foot utterly fails to capture the other effects that such an injury would reasonably cause.

Additionally, as I have also already pointed out, the body can have physical harm upon it while the character is at full HPs. To state that a body must lose HPs when it suffers physical harm is to say that a papercut, a splinter, catching your thumb in a drawer, and stubbing your toe must all result in HP loss.

Therefore, unless you can prove actual evidence of "shouting wounds closed" or "shouting limbs back on" you aren't proving the point that you think you are. You are merely proving that martial/inspirational healing allowed for HP recovery, not that they have any kind of magical effect that actually causes wounds to close or bruises to fade.

Of course, this is all consistent with 3e's healing times as well. A fourth level character could take full damage from a dagger strike and heal it completely overnight. Now how anyone can take full damage from a (airquote) lethal (/airquote) weapon and not die from it is itself an inconsistency in itself. It's also inconsistent with the thought that X amount of damage represents a specific amount of injury, unless you want to say that a fourth level character is a demi-god who can regenerate from being stabbed to the hilt by a dagger. The obvious answer to me is that the HP recovery occurred but that the wound itself still remained and was slowly recovering as a wound of that severity really would.

Again, the point being that no one edition is any more inconsistent than any of the others.

That's certainly within your rights, to have such a preference.

Personally, I will always favor internal consistency and causality over verisimilitude. I can believe in a world which follows different laws of physics, but I cannot (seriously) buy into a world that is internally inconsistent or that isn't restricted to purely in-game causality.

If that means someone can take fifteen arrows to the face before falling down (as an extreme example), then that is infinitely preferable to most of those arrows missing because we chose to narrate it that way.

GameOgre

Adventurer
That's certainly within your rights, to have such a preference.

Personally, I will always favor internal consistency and causality over verisimilitude. I can believe in a world which follows different laws of physics, but I cannot (seriously) buy into a world that is internally inconsistent or that isn't restricted to purely in-game causality.

If that means someone can take fifteen arrows to the face before falling down (as an extreme example), then that is infinitely preferable to most of those arrows missing because we chose to narrate it that way.

When you played D&D and HP did indeed equal meat how did you handle wounds? Did people keep taking hit point damage as they bleed out? Did a crit to the foot slow down movement? Did a crit to the face give negative Cha? How did you handle inflection?

After taking 3/4th of their hit points in physical wounds did your Characters have penalties to hit? Did they leave easily followed blood trails? How many feet and hands did you lose?

I keep reading about people who insist hit points as physical wounds is so much better and frankly I am not longer interested in disputing that. That is a matter of taste and as far as I'm concerned to each his own!

What I do want to talk about is that if indeed hit points equaled meat. What were the effects of that? You take 23 points of hit point damage out of 28 in one hit...what body part did you just lose? Are you split open from neck to groin? What effect does THAT have on a fella?

I think I might could buy hit points as meat if we talk about some of the subsystems you guys used to make that actually mean something.

ruleslawyer

This is exactly it.

D&d models, and always has modeled, physical injury using a separate set of mechanics (penalties in the proliferation of optional crit mechanics and specific traps in modules, ability damage in 3e) than hp. In addition to pemerton's excellent points, others on this thread have pointed out that hp as meat is actually the least persuasive interpretation barring an injury mechanic baked into the hp system.

For me in any edition, it's always been simpler to run PC hp as a general "narrative survivability" mechanic and model serious injury separately / in parallel. I welcomed 4e's non magical healing mechanics because they fit the interpretation that id been using since cracking the 1e DMG in 1982.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
From 2nd edition PHB.

Hit points - a number representing 1. how
much damage a character can suffer before
being killed, determined by Hit Dice (9.u.).
The hit points lost to injury can usually be
regained by rest or healing. 2. how much
damage a specific attack does, determined
by weapon or monster statistics, and subtracted
from a player's total.

Damage - the effect of a successful attack or
other harmful situation, measured in hit
points.

From 1st edition PHB.

Conatitution: Constitution is a term which encompasses the character’s
physique, fitness, health, and resistance. Since constitution affects the
character‘s hit dice and chances of surviving such great system shocks as
being changed by magic spell or resurrected from the dead, it is of
considerable importance to all classes. Constitution scores of above a
certain number are necessary for becoming certain sub-classes of
characters. Effects of constitution are given on the table below.
It is of utmost importance to understand that a character’s initial
constitution score is also the maximum number of times the character can
be raised from the dead/resurrected, and that each such revivification
reduces the character’s constitution score by 1. Although a character’s
constitution can be restored to its former score, or even raised above this
number, by magical means, this in no way alters the initio1 score
limitation, nor does such magical change in constitution restore to the
character additional chances for revivification. Thus, if a character has an
initial constitution of 15, he or she can never be brought back to life by a
raise dead or resurrection spell more often than 15 times. Note that a rod
of resurrection is considered the same as a spell of the same sort. The 16th
death is final and irrevocable without use of some other magical means
such as a wish.

Now it's cute that some of you continue to bang on about this but 4th edition did not mimic how HP was looked at and the system was chock full of inconsistencies with regards to the narrative and the math. If you look at the old mechanics only then it looks like HP was mostly a physical thing. Hell, even today your Constitution, which is purely physical, is tied to HP and how much extra you get. The same goes with the definition of damage and HP.

The rules have been one big contradiction since the beginning and 4th edition managed to bring it even more in the spotlight and made it even harder to gloss over.

Remove ads