• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 'Once per turn'

transtemporal

Explorer
This is still kinda throwing me. There are a lot of abilities that are usable 'once per turn'. Does this mean 'once per round' or 'once per action type you take during a round'? The thief in the party is adamant it's the latter, which seems sorta unbalanced, since he can potentially apply sneak damage on his regular action, reaction and bonus action. Anyone else encounter this interpretation?

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Ok, so... the way I understand this is that the "turn" structure exists outside of the "round" structure however, more often than not, you can only have one turn per round. The exception seems to be if you're somehow given an extra "turn" within the same round. A for instance exists with the Battle Master's Commander's Strike ability which common consensus has it that a rogue can be given an extra Sneak Attack opportunity by this ability as it essentially gives the rogue an extra "turn" within the same "round".

At least that's how I think it works. Honestly, when rules questions like this come up I've kinda given up trying to determine RAW solely on the basis that there seems to be so many possible interpretations for things in 5e that the best answer seems to always be, "Ask your DM."

mordaken

First Post
Both are incorrect.

When a creature is active it is considered their turn. So during his turn he can only use sneak attack once. However he can use it again as soon as it is someone elses turn like, a monster. A good example is he sneak attacks monster a with his action, he can not use it again, until another turn, so no his bonus action can not also be a sneak attack. If on the creatures turn it provokes a reaction attack and he happens to have advantage, he will be able to use his sneak attack, because it is now the monsters turn, and thus he can use it again.

Paraxis

Explorer
Both are incorrect.

When a creature is active it is considered their turn. So during his turn he can only use sneak attack once. However he can use it again as soon as it is someone elses turn like, a monster. A good example is he sneak attacks monster a with his action, he can not use it again, until another turn, so no his bonus action can not also be a sneak attack. If on the creatures turn it provokes a reaction attack and he happens to have advantage, he will be able to use his sneak attack, because it is now the monsters turn, and thus he can use it again.

This.

A round is the time between the beginning of your turn and the beginning of your next turn.

Your turn is when you act in the initiative order, a monsters turn is when they go, another PC's turn is when they go.

Example Initiative Order.

17 - Adam's turn starts and the first round begins. He sneak attacks a hobgoblin adjacent to him and his ally Edward.
14- The hobgoblin's turn, it attacks Adam then moves away provoking a reaction attack from Adam and that can also trigger a sneak attack.
13- Edward moves up to the hobgoblin and attacks.

No other combatants.
17- A new round starts, Adam can now sneak attack on his turn again.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Both are incorrect.
Stating something as if it's inarguable and unequivocal is... I'll be diplomatic and say problematic.

And the common consensus is that a rogue who uses his sneak attack on his turn, doesn't have it to use on his reaction. He could only use it on his reaction if he hadn't used it already on his turn. When his turn starts, he gets his reaction back and any abilities he has like sneak attack.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mordaken Thank Dog, that interpretation is incorrect. I asked Mearls this when I was looking at the Battle Master granting the rogue an extra attack. He confirmed that the rogue would get an additional sneak attack with his reaction, because it was someone else's turn.

Edit: sorry, Mordaken!

Last edited:

Tormyr

Hero
Stating something as if it's inarguable and unequivocal is... I'll be diplomatic and say problematic.

And the common consensus is that a rogue who uses his sneak attack on his turn, doesn't have it to use on his reaction. He could only use it on his reaction if he hadn't used it already on his turn. When his turn starts, he gets his reaction back and any abilities he has like sneak attack.

Actually, the common consensus that I understood, and what I seem to remember from a WotC member tweet was that once per turn meant just that: once per turn not once per round. Otherwise it would say, "once per round." If the rogue has advantage or an ally within 5 feet of the target both during his turn and during his reaction, he gets 1 sneak attack during each of those two turns.

Tormyr

Hero
Mordaken, that interpretation is incorrect. I asked Mearls this when I was looking at the Battle Master granting the rogue an extra attack. He confirmed that the rogue would get an additional sneak attack with his reaction, because it was someone else's turn.

It seems that you and Mordaken said the same thing. Did you mean Thank Dog?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Both are incorrect.

Correct! And welcome to the active side of the boards!

(Really, that's impressive -- member for more than six years before posting!)

Remove ads