• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 'Once per turn'

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Once per turn was defined in 4E as being once every creature's turn in a given round. 5E uses the same definition despite not being defined in any glaossary as the devs confirmed. When an ability is usable only once on each of your turn it say so i.e Divine Strike.

mordaken

First Post
Mordaken, that interpretation is incorrect. I asked Mearls this when I was looking at the Battle Master granting the rogue an extra attack. He confirmed that the rogue would get an additional sneak attack with his reaction, because it was someone else's turn.

Piratecat: We are saying the same thing.

Everyone else: Heh, Thank you, I excel in lurking. :)

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Is it just me, or is a rule of this importance, should it have been defined better in the PHB? I mean, it's potentially confusing, and that slows game play, trying to sort it out.

mcintma

First Post
The Marilith demon's reaction power really illustrated this for me - it only makes sense in the context of 'one turn' being each entity's turn i.e. there are multiple turns per round.

fjw70

Adventurer
Hmm, I am not seeing the confusion on this. Each participant gets a turn each round so once per turn would be once during each participants turn.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I did! Sorry about that. Late night posting on a phone. :)

Mearls says a lot of things. He's also contradicted himself several times in twitter replies. He's also said that he shouldn't be used as a rules reference and has repeatedly stated that these are his personal interpretations and that he wasn't a designer.

By the interpretation that each creature's turn counts towards the rule that you can only do something on A turn, a rogue could get three sneak attacks per round. Does that really seem right to you?

EDIT: I meant to say twice, not three times. Sleepy head.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads