• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Edition Monsters

Are you sure dire corby doesn't appear in 2e somewhere?

The reason I ask is that dire corbies are featured in a scene from one of the Drizzt books that was written during 2e. And I can't imagine it being a featured monster if it didn't have 2e stats somewhere.

Crap, did I just admit that I read a Drizzt book?

the Jester

Legend

The reason I ask is that dire corbies are featured in a scene from one of the Drizzt books that was written during 2e. And I can't imagine it being a featured monster if it didn't have 2e stats somewhere.

Crap, did I just admit that I read a Drizzt book?

I am pretty sure they didn't, but am looking to be corrected if I am wrong. ;)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan

You memory serves you well. While the dire corby is indeed mentioned in the Homeland/Exile/Sojourn trilogy, it never made the leap to a 2nd Edition monster stat block. Even more oddly, I've been unable to find stats for the diatryma -- the creature from which Jarlaxle's hat's feather comes -- in any D&D product for any edition.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'd be surprised if the "were-ass" made it to more than one edition.

Where did the "were-ass" appear?

There seem to be a number of odd lycathropes that have only appeared in one edition, but I can't seem to find a mention of a "were-ass" anywhere.

Single edition lycanthropes:
  • Werebaboon (Dungeon #98)
  • Werecamel (Polyhedron #29)
  • Werecrocodile (FR10: Old Empires/MC Annual 3; both 2nd Edition sources)
  • Weredire (Dragon #40)
  • Werelagomorph (Were-hare) (Dragon #156)
  • Weremole (Demihuman Deities)
  • Weremice (Imagine #17)
  • Wereram (Dragon #40)
  • Weresabre (Dragon #40)
  • Weresloth (Dragon #40)
  • Wereweasel (Dragon #40)

the Jester

Legend

There seem to be a number of odd lycathropes that have only appeared in one edition, but I can't seem to find a mention of a "were-ass" anywhere.

• Weredire (Dragon #40)
  • Weremice (Imagine #17)
  • Wereram (Dragon #40)
  • Weresabre (Dragon #40)
  • Weresloth (Dragon #40)

It looks like most of these are 1e, but could you verify that for me before I add them to the list please?

Thanks!

Shroomy

Adventurer

• Weredire (Dragon #40)
  • Weremice (Imagine #17)
  • Wereram (Dragon #40)
  • Weresabre (Dragon #40)
  • Weresloth (Dragon #40)

Most of those were-creature didn't deserve to move on to the next edition (though I do love the werebaboon from the Shackled City), but there was a werecrocodile in 3e. It was in Sandstorm and Monsters of Faerun/

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'd be surprised if the "were-ass" made it to more than one edition.

I think you mean the "asswere," the example creature of the Therianthrope template from the Tome of Horrors and Tome of Horrors Revised, from Necromancer Games.

Ironically, the template describes therianthropes as being animals that can assume a hybrid or human form; however, "therianthrope" is actually the correct reference for humans that can assume a hybrid or animal form (it's literally "animal human," rather than "lycanthrope," which means "wolf human"). The correct term for animals assuming hybrid/human form is "antherion," ("human animal") though the naming convention for the specific creature is correct in the ToH (that is, the "were" part comes at the end for antherions, and at the beginning for therianthropes).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads