One Edition Monsters

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Quori (various Eberron sources) [3.5]

The Quori are certainly namedropped often in the 4E Eberron books, so it would surprise me if there were no stats at all. Searching for "Quori" on the Compendium turns up "Dreaming Dark Assassin" and "Dreaming Dark Thoughtstealer", which is probably the same creature.

Yuan-Ti Fangblade (Monster Manual: Dangerous Delves) [4e]
Yuan-Ti Holy Guardian (Serpent Kingdoms) [3.5]
Yuan-Ti Ignan (Monster Manual IV) [3.5]
Yuan-Ti Mageslayer (Serpent Kingdoms) [3.5]
Yuan-Ti Sarpacala Malison (Dragon #370) [4e]
Yuan-Ti Wretchling (Secrets of Xen'drik) [3.5]

I would say that yuan-ti is yuan-ti.

Yugoloth, Altraloths (Dragon Annual #2) [2e]
Yugoloth, Baernaloth (Planes of Conflict) [2e]
Yugoloth, Corruptor of Fate (Monster Manual IV) [3.5]
Yugoloth, Echinoloth (Stormwrack) [3.5]
Yugoloth, Gacholoth (Dungeon #49, Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four) [2e]
Yugoloth, Skeroloth (Fiend Folio ) [3.0]
Yugoloth, Voor (Monster Manual IV) [3.5]

On the other hand, I'd probably count these as separate.

Jellyfish, Agrisian (HWR3: Milenian Empire) [BECMI]
Jellyfish, Death's Head (Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix ) [2e]
Jellyfish, Galley (Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix ) [2e]

I'm sure the Death's Head and Galley jellyfish appeared in a BECMI product, because it seems familiar to me and otherwise why would they stick them in the MMC appendix?

Juggernaut, Hulean (Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix) [2e]
Juggernaut, Stone (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads/X10: Red Arrow, Black Shield/AC9: Creature Catalogue/DMR2: Creature Catalog) [BECMI]
Juggernaut, Wood (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads/X10: Red Arrow, Black Shield/AC9: Creature Catalogue/DMR2: Creature Catalog) [BECMI]

These are the same thing.

kilamanjaro

First Post
I put together my list of favorite one edition monsters. A lot of these are from 3.x, I think that's because 2nd Edition recycled a lot of monsters from previous editions disqualifying them for this list while 3rd Edition added a lot of new monsters. Or maybe I just like 3rd Edition monsters.

Abeil
Abomination –
Anaxim
Chichimec
Dream Larva
Phaeton
Xixecal
Aoa
Arcane Ballista
Arcane Ooze
Astral Kraken
Avolakia
Bainligor (I like bat people)
Desmodu (I don't like these bat people as much as the bainligor)
Watroach Warbeetle
Bloodhulks
Goblin – Blue
Bonesinger
Breathdrinker
Cadaver Collector
Carcass Crab
Catfolk
Devastation Vermin
Daelkyr Half-Blood
Darfellan
Deadly Dancer
Deathbringer
Defacer
Demon –
Artaaglith
Deathdrinker
Ghour
Jovoc
Myrmyxicus
Zovvut
Devil –
Advespa
Logokron
Paeliryon
Rammanon
Xerfilstyx
Dire Corby
Dromites
Dusklings
Ethergaunts (all)
Feral Garguns
Fey’ri
Giant –
Bog
Dusk
Sand
Gloaming
Hagspawn
Hullathion
Ibixian
Ineffable Horror
Kython
Leechwalker
Leshay
Lurking Strangler
Maenad
Marruspawn
Maug
Mindshredders
Mooncalf
Moon Rat
Necronaut
Nerra
Nimblewright
Ocean Strider
Quori (Shockingly not updated yet. I'm sure they'll show up soon.)
Ragewalker
Roach Thrall
Rune Hound
Scorrow
Shadow Beast
Summoning Ooze
Thorciasid
Thorn
Thunder Worm
Tshochar
Unbodied
Urskan
Uvuudaum
Valkyrie (ToB - Older editions had Valkyrie, but they were different enough to not count)
Vanara
Verdant Prince
Vermin Lord
Vermiurge
Zern

Shemeska

Adventurer
Yugoloth, Altraloths (Dragon Annual #2) [2e]

This is a tough one, because they weren't distinct monsters, but rather a grouping of yugoloths of any original type that attained power and a unique form by bargains with night hag cabals. However the term was only used in 2e.

Yugoloth, Baernaloth (Planes of Conflict) [2e]

No stats in 3e, but they were mentioned several times. Twice in Dragon magazine, and also in Fiendish Codex I.

Yugoloth, Gacholoth (Dungeon #49, Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four) [2e]

Oh man I tried on this one. I had a Wandering Monster article already written for Dungeon when WotC canned the print magazine, and then WotC never responded after asking to see it submitted from the slush pile. I may have eventually just polished it and put it up on Planewalker, but if not I'll happily release it for free there or anywhere else. Folks can take it as they will once it's up somewhere.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
The Quori are certainly namedropped often in the 4E Eberron books, so it would surprise me if there were no stats at all. Searching for "Quori" on the Compendium turns up "Dreaming Dark Assassin" and "Dreaming Dark Thoughtstealer", which is probably the same creature.
Surprisingly as it is, I don't think there have been any 4e stats for quori published so far. (The two entries from the Compendium are inspired who have 'quori' as a language, they don't seem to be actual quori.) I vaguely recall an interview with Keith Baker where he mentioned the lack of quori stats in the 4e Eberron books as one of the consequences of trying to cover the whole setting in just two books. I think he also mentioned that quori might pop up in a DDI article, so they might not be 'one edition' creatures for very long.

I would say that yuan-ti is yuan-ti.
I agree with you mostly, but think there are exceptions. For example, a yuan-ti anathema is very different in form and role to a yuan-ti malison, so I think those probably count as two different creatures. I guess the Jester needs to decide how different a creature needs to be to count as a new creature for the 'one edition' list.

I'm sure the Death's Head and Galley jellyfish appeared in a BECMI product, because it seems familiar to me and otherwise why would they stick them in the MMC appendix?
I also thought that would be the case, but I can't seem to find them in any BECMI product. Man-O-War and Marauder jellyfish show up in X7, AC9 and then later in the Mystara MC and the MC Annual 2, but no sign of Death's Head or Galley.

These are the same thing.
Yeah, I think the Hulean and stone juggernauts are near enough to be counted as the same creature, and probably also counted as the same as the juggernaut in the 2e Monstrous Manual and the juggernaut in the 3.0 Monster Manual II.

The wood juggernaut on the other hand, seems to be unique to BECMI. In all other editions, it seems that the folks building juggernauts only like to work with stone :)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
These 'U' creatures all seem to be 'one edition' critters based on a quick look:

Ubue (B3: Palace of the Silver Princess) [BECMI]
Udoroot (Psionics Handbook/Expanded Psionics Handbook) [3.5]
Uintatherium (Dragon #137) [1e]
Ukuyatangi (Dragon #31) [1e]
Ulgurstasta (Dragon #276/Fiend Folio) [3.0]
Ulik (Dragon #14) [OD&D]
Uloriax (Wizards of the Coast web site) [3.5]
Ululatrix (Wizards of the Coast web site) [3.0]
Umbral Gloom (Dragon #353) [3.5]
Umbral Spy (Forge of War) [3.5]
Unbodied (Expanded Psionics Handbook) [3.5]
Undine (Dragon #116) [1e]
Undying Councillor (Eberron Campaign Setting) [3.5]
Undying Soldier (Eberron Campaign Setting) [3.5]
Undying Wizard (Explorer's Handbook) [3.5]
Ungulosin (Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III) [2e]
Unicorn, Dusk (Monster Manual) [4e]
Unicow (Dragon #156) [2e]
Unnskrajir (Player's Secrets of Hogunmark) [2e]
Unrisen (Open Grave) [4e]
Unthlatu (Dragon #122) [1e]
Ur-Histachii (Cult of the Dragon) [2e]
Ur'Epona (Planar Handbook) [3.5]
Urd (Monstrous Manual ) [2e]
Urdark (Magic of Eberron) [3.5]
Urisk (Dragon #94) [1e]
Urskan (Frostburn) [3.5]
Usunag (Wizards of the Coast web site) [3.5]
Utoyasukata (OA1: Swords of the Daimyo) [1e]
Uvuudaum (Epic Level Handbook ) [3.0]

Shroomy

Adventurer
There are no 4e quori stats at this time (give it time though!). The closest we currently got are the Inspired and Dreaming Dark stats.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
BECMI had Undines. They're in the RC and the Companion set.
Those don't seem to be quite the same undines as the Dragon versions. The Dragon undines are "miniature merwomen" whereas the BECMI undine is a "featureless transparent snake". They are both otherwise similar water creatures though. My guess is that were both derived -- likely separately -- from the ondine/undine of German folklore.

pawsplay

Hero
Those don't seem to be quite the same undines as the Dragon versions. The Dragon undines are "miniature merwomen" whereas the BECMI undine is a "featureless transparent snake". They are both otherwise similar water creatures though. My guess is that were both derived -- likely separately -- from the ondine/undine of German folklore.

In that case, can we add the 4e lamia to the unique list?

Remove ads