• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Monster Book Only?

solomoncane

First Post
Assuming that you play d20 in many genres with slightly different rulesets (fantasy, modern, sci-fi, etc.), which singular monster book would you choose if you could only have one for all d20 gameplay?

Turanil

First Post
Menace Manual, from the d20 Modern line. The only problem is that it also provides several pages of NPCs that are useful only in modern or future settings. Otherwise, the monsters could easily be used for a fantasy setting, although a "different" one where you don't have ogres, goblins, and the like.

delericho

Legend
solomoncane said:
Assuming that you play d20 in many genres with slightly different rulesets (fantasy, modern, sci-fi, etc.), which singular monster book would you choose if you could only have one for all d20 gameplay?

Well, I'd go for the Monster Manual, of course. The core set of monsters for D&D, and a huge set of stats to use for conversions to other games, if necessary. (And far more d20 games are close enough to D&D for this to work than are not.)

If you're asking for any monster book other than the MM, it would have to be the Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin, or perhaps the Book of Fiends, also be Green Ronin. The first is incredibly versatile, while the other is just really well done.

Incidentally, it's maybe worth mentioning that D&D is pretty much the only game I play in which I use a separate bestiary (unless you count Star Wars' Ultimate Alien Anthology, which I don't). There don't seem to be many other games that even have separate bestiaries (d20 Modern does, and the new WFRP, and I'm sure there are some others - but I'm not aware of many).

Crothian

First Post
For me I'd go with Fantasy Beastiary by Atlas. It isa good collection of useful and creative creatures. It is not filled with the monsters people know and are not impressed with, it offers new encounters and new mystery.

Li Shenron

Legend
solomoncane said:

The easiest choice for me is the core MM. It already has modern monsters (undead, fiends) and several aberrations, monstrous humanoids and magical beasts could fit for sci-fi with just a little make-up in the description.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads