• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One new PHB every year ?!

Oliviander

First Post
Last time we discussed the new editions stuff in our D&D party,
I came up with a suggestion of which I thought It might be rather exotic.
But in the end we all agreed, that that would be the thing we would really
want, and that everybody at our table would luckily spend his money for:

WotC should publish the Core Rulebooks anew on a regular in our opinion
a yearly basis and include all errata and core extensions (new Character
classes races and so on).

So that all Core rules are really available in 3 Volumes with all known erratas
considered once a year.

What do you think of this suggestion ?

drjones

Explorer
If you believe in the DDI (kinda like tinkerbell you must believe for it to fly) then it will kind of do this with the rules database.

I think the physical books might be a hard sell since they would have more pages and probably higher cost every time, which folks who already have the PHB might not want to pay to get it again with more added.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I think whenever they restock the shelves they should put in Errata, but don't think there should be a new PHB1, DMG1, MM1 each year.

Not only would it probably not make much profit, but also confuse people who are looking for the PHB2, DMG2, MM2 that would be out the following year as well.

I also suspect most Errata will be covered in DDI and perhaps in Appendixes in the following Core books.

Mort_Q

First Post
When I read the subject line, I thought you were saying:

PH I in 2008
PH 2 in 2009
PH 3 in 2010
etc.

I'm game. You could include the official errata in the next years version!

So the PH 2 would have a section with PH 1 errata.

Mort_Q said:

PH I in 2008
PH 2 in 2009
PH 3 in 2010
etc.

I think the OP is suggesting that the PH2 published in year 2 should contain everything from PH1, incorporating any errata, and presenting a bunch of new stuff as well. Don't see how that would work - I can imagine the outcry about having to re-buy the same stuff every year.

Oliviander

First Post
Make it 500 pages

Mort_Q said:

PH I in 2008
PH 2 in 2009
PH 3 in 2010
etc.

Actually I thought of reissuing the original PHB anew each year
with all erratas, all improvements, all changes and and all extensions
that make it core worked into the volume.

Maybe there should be a limit to something 500 pages and 50 Dollars a volume.

Of course there should be other extensions (like a PHB 2)
But each year it should be considered which rules published in other volumes
should make it to the new version of the real core, the PHB 1.

Kaffis

First Post
Fifth Element said:
I think the OP is suggesting that the PH2 published in year 2 should contain everything from PH1, incorporating any errata, and presenting a bunch of new stuff as well. Don't see how that would work - I can imagine the outcry about having to re-buy the same stuff every year.

Not to mention, I don't really see it as a "better" option for new gamers, either.

Which is more appealing to try out D&D 4e, 3 years in? Buy PHBI, DMGI, and MMI, then, if you like it, purchase a PHBII, MMII, and MMIII, with the intention of picking up PHBIII when you get around to wanting to play one of the classes in it, etc... Total initial cost to try the game: $105 -- 3x $35 MSRP.

Or:

Buy PHB Compendium II (Collecting volumes I-III!), DMG Compendium II (Collecting volumes I-III!), and MM Compendium II (Collecting volumes I-III!). Cost to try the game: $270 -- 3x $90 MSRP.

I'll take the first, and I think most sane people would, too.

Jack of Tales

First Post
and it'd be impossible. Can you imagine after only three years? There'd be at least 800 or so pages in each book. And as the years progress it'd become even more impossible. The spines would break so easily after 4-5 years of PHB's in them

Remove ads