One of my players wants to play a kid wizard like Harry Potter. Should i allow it?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The situation here isn't so much "Are you ok with having a kid going on an adventure?" As it is "Are you ok with a kid dying?"

If you, the dm, aren't comfortable with it yourself, just come out and say "TOA is supposed to be a meat grinder of a dungeon, and I'm not cool with having a kid go off to die like that. " And even if you are, remind them of the abnormally high mortality rate, because they might think it's a normal adventure.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I think you're grossly overestimating how much people gave a :):):):) about kids in medieval society.*

In many cultures, at age 13, that girl would be sent on a dangerous cross-country adventure to go live with her new husband.

So, yeah, a willing child-prodigy is a legit recruit on a desperate quest to save the world.

*D&D settings are at best faux-medieval, and resemble modern society more than anything else. But the trappings of medieval times lets you use that set of social norms when it's convenient for story telling.

I think you're grossly overestimating how much people gave a :):):):) about kids in medieval society.*

In many cultures, at age 13, that girl would be sent on a dangerous cross-country adventure to go live with her new husband.

So, yeah, a willing child-prodigy is a legit recruit on a desperate quest to save the world.

*D&D settings are at best faux-medieval, and resemble modern society more than anything else. But the trappings of medieval times lets you use that set of social norms when it's convenient for story telling.
I suppose the question is, "Why does the player want to play a kid?" If she's after the Harry Potter experience, modern norms are sort of the point. If she's after the Arya Stark experience, it's emphatically the opposite.

Tomb of Annihilation is a group of people trying to save the world from the BBEG whose soul is contained in a horcrux (aka phylactery) and you DON'T want Harry Potter to join your group?

Sounds like you don't want to win.

Ashrym

Legend
Fantasy stories with heroes that age are numerous, medieval society would be okay with a 12 yr young adult, apprenticed age apprentice sounds legit, it's an anime staple, etc.

The important thing is that's what the player wants to play. As long as what the DM and player want out of tge experience matches up all should be good.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't see why not. As to how it could come to be....have an oracle of some kind say that the expedition will fail without the kid.

During the Stream of Annihilation last year when the book was announced, one of the players from Girls, Guts, & Glory played a kid and he was the most memorable character of the whole game. And the whole party was very invested in the character.

I say definitely do it.

Dausuul

Legend
I would handle a child PC much like a drow PC. You will need to prove yourself to the party when you first meet them, and dealing with strangers is a constant hassle.

But people who can sling fireballs are not very thick on the ground. If the party needs a wizard, and the only competent wizard available is a kid, and the need is sufficiently dire... well, beggars can't be choosers. It's not as if we're talking about a toddler here; 13 is approaching adulthood by medieval standards.

Remove ads