• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Rouse-attributed quote that should die now

Korgoth

First Post
JustinA said:
Even with the clarification, he was still lying so I'm not sure how much difference it really makes at this point.

Could you explain what specifically you allege Scott to have been lying about and provide evidence?

I think there's nothing wrong with questioning or criticising WOTC but Scott is a member of EN World and has to be extended the same courtesy as any other poster. Unless you can establish demonstrably that he lied, your post is an inappropriate accusation.

In other words, you can't just say that. You need to provide a text or retract (or just edit) your statement. If you can make a reasonable case then fine, but you can't just launch an allegation out there.

JustinA said:
(And I also have to question your claim that "through 2008" would mean anything other than "until the end of 2008". If some advertises a sale that lasts "through Sunday", it doesn't end Saturday night. The word "through" is not a synonym for "until". Your claim becomes even more bizarre, since you're claiming that Scott Rouse, after his clarification, was claiming in February 2007 that WotC was planning to produce 3rd Edition supplements until the end of 2006.)
A date wasn't specified. If they had a new product on January 1, 2008, that would make it "through 2008". As long as it touches 2008, 2008 in included. "Through the end of 2008" would have the meaning you're looking for.

For your Sunday sale analogy: What if the sale ends halfway through Sunday? Is that "through Sunday"? Yes. One should certainly be more specific in such a case, and WotC could have been more specific, but they had no reason to be.

JRRNeiklot said:
You know, he may have been misquoted, but it'd darn easy to say "I was misquoted" after the :):):):) hits the fan. What's next? I didn't say 2008 as I understood the term? Define is?
He noted why he didn't clear it up before, and since the announcement I think that he has contributed enough information on enough fora that we don't need to be asking for even more.

This is uncomfortably close to blaming him for being misquoted.

Korgoth said:
If I have a bar and say "Happy Hour is on weekdays, 4pm through 6pm" that means it stops at 6 pm.
To pick nits, would it not stop at 6:01 pm? Or 6:00:59? Perhaps, but perhaps not, which illustrates the ambiguity of the wording.

And interpreting an ambiguous phrase in one way and relying on such interpretation without confirming it is dangerous.

It greatly depends on the units you're using. If any products are released in 2008 (which again is not what Mr. Rouse said, this is just for illustration), you could say the product line produced new products through 2008. You could get more detailed to clarify what you mean, to avoid misunderstandings, of course.

Think about this: when one refers to the publishing history of 3rd edition (including 3.5), one will write 2000-2008. Does that 2008 imply that products were produced up until December 31, 2008? Or that they started publishing on January 1, 2000? Certainly not.

Ultimately this is a quibble over semantics, since Mr. Rouse did not mention 2008 to begin with.

Doug McCrae

Legend
GJ, Fifth Element. I've seen several posters accuse WotC of lying recently so this information needs to be disseminated.

What is the word on WotC apparently saying that all future major announcements would be made at D&D Experience?

Haven't found anything about that statement being inaccurate. I think they simply changed their minds (or had it changed for them), and couldn't announce such a change without essentially revealing ahead of time that 4E would be announced.

Pale

First Post
So he didn't correct the misquote to curb 4E rumors... then why the first statement? Sorry, going to have to call shennanigans here.

*hands out broom handles*

Pale said:
So he didn't correct the misquote to curb 4E rumors... then why the first statement? Sorry, going to have to call shennanigans here.
What first statement are you referring to?

Is this just polite terminology for calling him a liar again?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads