• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Rouse-attributed quote that should die now

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Patlin said:
I've been quoted in the media a dozen times. Once, I think they even got it right. And these were professional reporters who had a notepad ready while we spoke!

Misquoting happens.

I should note that I'm not blaming any individual or accusing any person of lying. I am referring to WOTC as an entity.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
delericho said:
That would be me. I checked every thread that the Search feature turned up for the keyword "Experience", every thread that turned up for "Winter Fantasy", the D&D 4th Edition news page, and the news archive. I came up with nothing. There is discussion of the alleged quote, but I couldn't find the quote itself, or the name of the person who is alleged to have said it. It was always "a WotC rep" or similar.

The only things I could find are repeated on the 4th Edition news page. There, Kevin Wilson is noted as saying that they are not working on a 4th edition that will require miniatures, at GenCon 2006. The Scott Rouse quote that is being discussed above is also given there.

On the "announcements will be at D&D Experience" thing, I think that comes from another Kevin Wilson quote from GenCon 2006:

That stops rather short of "all major D&D announcements will be at D&D Experience".

It was reported here in the 4e news section:

The person was live blogging to another site but I don't remeber which one

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

Xyxox

Hero
Scott_Rouse said:

The person was live blogging to another site but I don't remeber which one

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

Personally, I find it despicable that you get piled onto over a misquote.

Thanks for clarifying. It's sad that some will look for any reason to rail of WotC because of 4e. From where I sit, I'd rather see no dot relases and a reboot every four or five years. That's a reasonable timeframe.

delericho

Legend
Scott_Rouse said:

Scott, in case it was missed in the other thread, I would just like to apologise again for my part in the "WotC lied" fiasco. That was, quite simply, wrong of me.

Pale

First Post
Fifth Element said:
What first statement are you referring to?

Is this just polite terminology for calling him a liar again?

No, no, no. The first statement would be whatever it was that was misquoted and not clarified. If clarifying the misquote would have "poured gasoline on the 4E rumour fire" then wouldn't the original statement have done the same interpreted correctly?

Or was the statement extremely vague and cagey in its wording to begin with?
I'm fine with vague and cagey, I don't think that's dishonest, it's just an honest way of saying "I ain't sayin', so neeners."

the Jester

Legend
delericho said:
Scott, in case it was missed in the other thread, I would just like to apologise again for my part in the "WotC lied" fiasco. That was, quite simply, wrong of me.

Credit where credit is due, dude: You manned up and admitted that there was no quote (at least that you can find), and you apologized and even went so far as to edit your posts on the subject to show that you were wrong. This apology is just another piece of the pie that makes up my knowledge that "delericho's a class act".

Everyone, I suggest we move on from this topic to the REAL topic at hand- what will 4e be like? How will it improve (or detract from) our games? Will we switch over right away? ...Etc, ad infinitum. :) :cool:

the Jester said:
Credit where credit is due, dude: You manned up and admitted that there was no quote (at least that you can find), and you apologized and even went so far as to edit your posts on the subject to show that you were wrong. This apology is just another piece of the pie that makes up my knowledge that "delericho's a class act".
Hear, hear.

the Jester said:
Everyone, I suggest we move on from this topic to the REAL topic at hand- what will 4e be like? How will it improve (or detract from) our games? Will we switch over right away? ...Etc, ad infinitum. :) :cool:
That's a good point. One could probably start dozens, nay hundreds of such threads in the matter of a week, all discussing something about which very little is known, and yet most people would be absolutely certain about many things with respect to such thing. ;)

Remove ads