D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So what makes learning magical formula supernatural, but learning sword forms mundane?

I agree, people are clinging to the word, but I think it is because they DON'T want the fighter to be using "magic" like a wizard. Which agree with.
Sword forms are supernatural if they teach you something that isn't mundane. Like certain Level Up combat maneuvers. Its not magic like a wizard, but it isn't mundane. There is a third category, and "supernatural" is my preferred term.

That implies PCs aren't mortal beings.
i mean, by earth standards (which is what i was referring to when i said "mortal being"), they really aren't already. i would not consider someone who could survive a fall from orbit and walk it off every single time or who could wrestle a dragon to be a "mortal being".

by DND standards, some people are just built different.

Micah Sweet

I agree that seems to be the problem. But you also keep demanding explanations, while having a single, glaring assumption you keep making.

Okay? The question was how they could bench-press an ogre, not how they created a lava field around their house by sleeping there for a few days.
They have super-strength, I conceded this. Part of what makes them not human.

Micah Sweet

As I posted upthread, the Rogue has several high level abilities that don't have much explanation and are clearly not "mundane". Their capstone being my favorite. "What, I missed? No I didn't."
Yeah. I don't like 5e rogues in large part because they break the rules of physics without explanation. Those abilities do exist, however, I concede.

Micah Sweet

i mean, by earth standards (which is what i was referring to when i said "mortal being"), they really aren't already. i would not consider someone who could survive a fall from orbit and walk it off every single time or who could wrestle a dragon to be a "mortal being".

by DND standards, some people are just built different.
I will concede hit points don't make sense forever if people will please come up with any other evidence to support their rhetorical positions.

Micah Sweet

At a certain point it becomes hard to reconcile. If you see an ancient red dragon or a gaggle of fire giants and it seems like a reasonable idea to sword it/them to death, it's likely you have left the just a guy territory.
Which is why high-level martials should be labeled as explicitly supernatural.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yeah. I don't like 5e rogues in large part because they break the rules of physics without explanation. Those abilities do exist, however, I concede.
My question though, was a completely non-hostile, what do you do then? You've said you don't like such abilities, so how do you explain them? There's nothing wrong with having a preference for a world that is, I think you've said before "like the real world unless specified". My experience has been that D&D is full of waaaay too many exceptions to accept unless I presume that it's actually the other way around, ie, "D&D is complete fantasy unless specified", but I am curious how you square the circle.

Remove ads