D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
WotC releases so many spells and magical feats that I don't think they believe catering to the "low-magic crowd" is profitable at all. When's the last time we got some even slightly significant full martial stuff? Even in OD&D we just get weapon masteries and then some fun ways to use your attack action differently for martial classes; other than that, it's more spells, more magical subclasses, more magic items.

So, I don't think it matters if people can stomach a full-magic D&D, because we already have one.
And if WotC had the courage to be clear about that in their own products, I would agree. But they don't.

Remathilis

Legend
but that difference is still important to a non-insignificant amount of people, and there's nothing stopping the designers putting in the rules 'at 5th level your fighter gets to pick a magic item of X rarity for your character', it's basically already a feature of the artificer even if they have the justification they're making it themselves, i get that some people might not like magic items appearing out of the ether simply because you reached X level but it's better than being subject to GM charity, say your sword was empowered by the stories told of your fighter turning into an icebrand, that your shield evolved from being soaked in the blood of 1000 slain monsters turning it into a +1, the ambient magic was absorbed into your boots and they turned into boots of flying.

But that isn't much of a solution. You are either off boarding the solution to a Metagame concept (a fighter at 5th level will always get their hands on a guaranteed magic sword) or you are adding roundabout magic anyway (why when a fighter kills a 1000 monsters, his shield becomes magical but not a barbarian or paladin's shield? How does that work in fiction and why only for fighters? Is that something innate in the fighter? If yes, aren't we back to magical abilities, just on step removed?)

Sometimes, people read what they want to be there.

Thanks for the blatant insult, by the way. I don't recall insulting you in that fashion.
It's not an insult, it's just that high level reading means that not everything has to be stated in the book. Obviously you're a high level reader since you're debating subtext, so you shouldn't take this as a barb. Apologies though!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Batman
King Arthur
Ulysses from the Odyssey
Green Arrow
Beowulf

Edit. Krillin
King Arthur and Ulysses don't actually fight monsters, and Arthur in particular has at least two artifacts on his character sheet.

In the stories where this is relevant, both Batman and Green Arrow are playing a narrative game with a lot of metacurrency, certainly not D&D. In their own stories they tend to be more grounded.

Beowulf isn't mundane. The feats he is described as accomplishing are beyond human ability.

Allow those caveats and I will accept any of these.

I have no idea who or what Krillin is.

Remove ads