D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How? What's the explanation? Why is it so hard to stop calling the guy who can hit you with his sword without moving from 30 feet away and jump 40 feet straight up mundane? How is that mundane? Words have meaning.
Why would everything else he does and is suddenly become supernatural just because he gained that ability. Is his 30 movement speed suddenly supernatural? His 4 attacks? No. He's still mundane except for the one ability.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
At a certain point it becomes hard to reconcile. If you see an ancient red dragon or a gaggle of fire giants and it seems like a reasonable idea to sword it/them to death, it's likely you have left the just a guy territory.
That's just the rules conforming to the necessity of the players being able to do anything at all. By the time you are attacking colossal and gargantuan creatures, all normal sized weapons would be useless. It would be like you attacking me using a thumbtack and thinking you have a chance at victory.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
3-4 accurate attacks every 6 seconds with a weapon over 1 pound is superhuman.
It's not.

Yaarel

He Mage
Pathfinder (and maybe 3.5) has extraordinary (Ex) and supernatural (Su). The distinction wasn’t particularly useful and later editions got rid of it.

I see no compelling reason to bring it back.
In 5e, the theory of magic is tightening up. 4e made every source magical. 5e tried to return to a vagueness. But whether Psionic and Dragon breath are antimagicable became glaring issues. The 2014 Players Handbook said the Weave officially exists in the Forgotten Realms setting, ... but defacto exists in every official setting, creating a need for many clarifications.

In my preference: Arcane and Divine do depend on the Weave. But Psionic and Primal depend on the soul instead. And Martial obviously ignores the Weave.

At one point, the designers explained, every power source can
• create magical effects that are spells
• create magical effects that arent spells (like class features)
• magically create effects that arent in themselves magical (apparently like the spell Create Water)

This makes sense, but is kinda complex, and frequently ambiguous.

Whether antimagic can suppress something is the touchstone to make sense of all of this.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's not.

Again.

Fencing with light weapons and most attacks were not killing blows.

The D&D warrior is getting 3-4 full kill attacks with greatswords and longbows accurately every 6 seconds.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Did you miss the part where two handed weapons were even faster?
Did you miss how none of those attacks would pierce the hard armor/hide/skin of D&D monsters and were not accurate enough to hit joints and weakpoints?

You try hitting a 8 foot tall stone golem, a devil in infernal plate, or large dragon with those attacks and you'll be there all day.

EDIT: If WOTC wanted warriors to stay mundane, they could have copied 4e and have attacks deal more Ws so a warrior deals a ton of damage in one blow.

But they ran from 4e. So everyone is fights like a 4e Blender Ranger. Martials go brrr.

It's not.

in case anyone's too lazy to do the math here, 1.6 seconds per action would probably be the equivalent of 3.75 (so 3-4) attacks per turn. that means you need to be a level 11-20 fighter in order to effectively fight like a combat trained human being. for context, a level 1 PC can shoot a longbow as fast as a modern skilled archer (i.e. 10 times per minute).

abstraction is weird.

RainOnTheSun

Explorer
in case anyone's too lazy to do the math here, 1.6 seconds per action would probably be the equivalent of 3.75 (so 3-4) attacks per turn. that means you need to be a level 11-20 fighter in order to effectively fight like a combat trained human being. for context, a level 1 PC can shoot a longbow as fast as a modern skilled archer (i.e. 10 times per minute).

abstraction is weird.
The thing is, archers in the real world don't know they're supposed to make strength their dump stat. They've got all those back muscles and arm muscles slowing them down.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Did you miss how none of those attacks would pierce the hard armor/hide/skin of D&D monsters and were not accurate enough to hit joints and weakpoints?
Neither would a slow hard attack in real life. That's why D&D is a game. D&D let's those real attacks actually hit the monsters. THAT's the "supernatural" part, not the number of attacks made.

Remove ads