• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One With Nothing

Michael Morris

First Post
The card this is based on is totally useless, but the title is nifty. Trying to capture the spirit of the card here - but occurs to me that depending on how the DM rules spell preparing this could still be totally useless. Here it is. Comments welcome on this thing - that's why I pulled it out of the spell thread to sit by itself (4 new spells over there btw)

One With Nothing
Necromancy [Black, Metamagic]
Level: (4), Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: Personal
Target: You

You lose all spell preparations. You may prepare new spells in place of all spells lost this way.

maggot

First Post
I like it. Interesting that it is a standard action, because you would still have to spend 15 minutes preparing the new spells. But I like the fact that you can cycle out all your old spells.

I'm not sure about the level though, seems a bit steep. I'm not sure what level is appropriate though.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Sounds totally viable, even if the DM allows the 15min re-prepare for prep-casters, being able to do it in a standard action (middle of combat) is a big boon... Honestly, it almost seems bigger than a 4th level spell.

Maybe make it a series of spells (1st- 9th level) that let you re-prepare any spells of a level equal or lower.

EG:
One With Nothing V
Necromancy [Black, Metamagic]
Level: (5), Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: Personal
Target: You

You lose all prepared spells of 5th level and lower. You may prepare new spells in place of all spells lost this way.

Michael Morris

First Post
maggot said:
I like it. Interesting that it is a standard action, because you would still have to spend 15 minutes preparing the new spells. But I like the fact that you can cycle out all your old spells.

I'm not sure about the level though, seems a bit steep. I'm not sure what level is appropriate though.

Level is one lower than feeblemind, an offensive spell that does much of the same thing to foes.

Michael Morris

First Post
Kirin'Tor said:
Sounds totally viable, even if the DM allows the 15min re-prepare for prep-casters, being able to do it in a standard action (middle of combat) is a big boon... Honestly, it almost seems bigger than a 4th level spell.

Maybe make it a series of spells (1st- 9th level) that let you re-prepare any spells of a level equal or lower.

I don't write series like that anymore. Art of Magic has a mechanic I frequently use to avoid doing that, and if ever gets released.... :sigh:

Besides, each and every member of such a cycle would be grossly underpowered. I'm not sure this thing should even be 4th - 3rd might be better (I considered that, but then reconsidered based on the fact that spell selection manipulation is blue's forte, not black's. Black can have this, but not at as low a level as I'd allow it for blue).

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Is the intent for the spell to instantly allow you to prepare?...because if not, I'm not sure why it would need to be a spell....

If the spell allows you to "un-prepare" but then you have to spend 15min (or whatever) re-preparing, isn't that the same as using the re-prepare rules from the PHB + a spell slot?

Michael Morris

First Post
Kirin'Tor said:
Is the intent for the spell to instantly allow you to prepare?...because if not, I'm not sure why it would need to be a spell....

If the spell allows you to "un-prepare" but then you have to spend 15min (or whatever) re-preparing, isn't that the same as using the re-prepare rules from the PHB + a spell slot?

Yes, if you allow those rules (I personally don't - so the usefulness of this spell is again controlled by the DM's house rules).

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I thought you had to leave the slots empty in order to reprepare them? If you already have a spell in the slot, you can't do anything except cast it; or wait till the next day when you can reprepare everything.

I didn't think these were house rules. I thought they were the rules as written.

RisnDevil

First Post
I don't know if they were house rules or RAW, but you did have to leave them empty. This spell essentially lets you change your mind on prepared spells. I like it, and think it is a good mechanic.

Remove ads