• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ongoing damage and saves in a surprise round?

msherman

First Post
If you get hit by a monster with ongoing damage or other status effect during the surprise round, do you take the ongoing damage and make a save during that round? Or does it wait for the first real round? What if you're surprised and can't act in the surprise round? Does that change anything?

I don't have a book on me:

From what I remember, surprise round is still a "round". My first impression would be that you would therefore apply all effects like saves (if induced) at the end of said round(surprise round).

Just my two PP.

=)

hong

WotC's bitch
You take ongoing damage the first time that you get to act, before your actions. You then make saves, after your actions.

Surprise rounds don't change this, AFAIK.

msherman

First Post
You take ongoing damage the first time that you get to act, before your actions. You then make saves, after your actions.

Surprise rounds don't change this, AFAIK.

I'm still confused, and I'm not actually sure I understand what you're trying to say here. If you're surprised, and you've been hit with an ongoing damage effect, do you take that ongoing damage and then save against it when your initiative comes up in the surprised round, even though you don't get to act?

Nail

First Post
If you're surprised, and you've been hit with an ongoing damage effect, do you take that ongoing damage and then save against it when your initiative comes up in the surprised round, even though you don't get to act?
Is it your turn yet?

If you don't get to act, have you taken your turn?

hong

WotC's bitch
I'm still confused, and I'm not actually sure I understand what you're trying to say here. If you're surprised, and you've been hit with an ongoing damage effect, do you take that ongoing damage and then save against it when your initiative comes up in the surprised round, even though you don't get to act?
You neither take the ongoing damage nor make a save.

The situation would be like this.

Surprise round: monster hits you
1st normal round: roll init, let's say the monster wins, just to make life difficult
Monster's turn: monster hits you again
Your turn: take ongoing damage, hit the monster, make save

this seems quite good ruling: otherwise monsers with only ongoing damage and high initiative have a disadvantage... (star spawn e.g.) they act twice before you react, you should get ongoing damage twice... iwould rule however, that you either get your save or even succed on your save automatically...

Grabuto138

First Post
So everyone roles initiative before the surprise round. Then every unsurprised creature takes an action. Specifically the PHB says "(Surprised combatants take no actions during the surprise round)" It doesn't say that surprised people do not take ongoing damage or roll for saves. They take no action. .)

LightPhoenix

First Post
You take ongoing damage at the start of your turn. If you are surprised, you don't get a turn in the surprise round, and you do not take ongoing damage.

You make saves at the end of your turn. Same thing.

Remove ads