• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online Campaign in the IC forum!

Game Control

First Post
Wow, A tiger AND 2 wolves? Aren't you busting the animal HD limit?

I don't have my books right now but I think you are limited to a number of HD equal to your caster level if you are traveling, twice that on a temporary basis or if are sedentary. It might be in an errata instead of the PHB, though.

Eh, I don't really care. It's just this DM urge that keeps surfacing even when it's none of my business.

Tokiwong

First Post
Game Control said:
Wow, A tiger AND 2 wolves? Aren't you busting the animal HD limit?

I don't have my books right now but I think you are limited to a number of HD equal to your caster level if you are traveling, twice that on a temporary basis or if are sedentary. It might be in an errata instead of the PHB, though.

Eh, I don't really care. It's just this DM urge that keeps surfacing even when it's none of my business.

You can have no more animals then twice your caster level... at least that is the rule I see for Animal Friendship page 173... thus she gets 10 Hit dice worth of animals

Last edited:

Game Control

First Post
It's in the official Errata/Clarification then. Let me fish it out...

It's wizard's of the coast official PHB clarification (Download here)

Look at it, it clarifies the rules for Animal Friendship.

Basically, an adventuring druid can only keep an amount of animal HD equal to his level. But he can still go up to twice his level for short period. For example, if a 5th level druid travels with his 5HD bear and meet a wolf, he could cast animal friendhip on the wolf and keep him as a companion as long as he stays in the area. But once on the move again, he'd have to discard either the wolf or the bear.

I'm being a bit of rule lawyer, here. Asks Rhialto, he'll make the call anyway. I just wanted to point it out for everyone's benefit, that's all.

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Game Control said:
It's in the official Errata/Clarification then. Let me fish it out...

It's wizard's of the coast official PHB clarification (Download here)

Look at it, it clarifies the rules for Animal Friendship.

Basically, an adventuring druid can only keep an amount of animal HD equal to his level. But he can still go up to twice his level for short period. For example, if a 5th level druid travels with his 5HD bear and meet a wolf, he could cast animal friendhip on the wolf and keep him as a companion as long as he stays in the area. But once on the move again, he'd have to discard either the wolf or the bear.

I'm being a bit of rule lawyer, here. Asks Rhialto, he'll make the call anyway. I just wanted to point it out for everyone's benefit, that's all.

Not a rules lawyer by trade so i just go with what I have... if that is the case then I can revise... not really integral to her concept just want a decent animal companion to Awaken down the road

Rhialto

First Post
Uniformity is important, so yes I use these...

(Thanks for the address....)

And as for the Silver Chalice--well, I haven't gotten around to detailing them yet, so here you go.

The Silver Chalice is a vast society of wizards, sorcerers, and the occasional priest that operates in the Kingdoms of Morn. Stuffy, officious, and just a tad arrogant, they are nonetheless a respected force among the Eldari. More a social club for users of magic than anything else, it exists primarily to share research, discuss things, and curry favor with nobles. Needless to say, there is a lot of politicking, a lot of backstabbing, and a lot of intrapersonal rivalry. Still being a member of the Silver Chalice means something, with nonmembers being seen as "dabblers" in the arts arcane...

As for Alfari names...try doing a word search on "Celtic names". That should get you something interesting...

(P.S. Got any gods in mind for a patron, Sollir? Cause I've got a suggestion...)

Last edited:

Sounds good :) How do you use the leadership feat in your campaign? Do they level up when the characters do as opposed to the 50% exp rule so you don't have to keep switching every few months?

I was thinking of my character having a brother who would specialize in cold based spells :)

Remove ads