• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC: Adventure Path - Shackled City

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
... Wow, I didn't realize Halflings are horrible at Jump, despite a +2 racial bonus. :uhoh: By the way, -2 ACP due to armor and buckler along with -6 for speed.

I probably threw in the extra +1 on the longbow inadventently from the +1 to thrown weapons.

I still don't agree with Dowlee's skill totals...

For Jump I see 2 ranks + 1 (STR mod) + 2 (Halfling) - 6 (Move 20') - 2 (Armor penalty) for a total of -3.

For Heal I see 2 ranks + 0 (WIS mod) for a total of +2.

Once these totals are resolved, Dowlee is ready to move over to the Rogue's Gallery.

Any thoughts about getting her mixed up with the party?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Whoa, I got the ability mods really wrong. I changed the ability scores a couple too many times when I made her, I suppose.

If Dowlee had heard of the children beforehand, she'd want to go out of her way to try to help them. Children come directly from fertility, which is an important part of Ehlonna's teachings. Certainly, she would want to try to stop those who are messing the Ehlonna's crops. Having heard that St. Cuthbert is also working on this situation, Dowlee could be advised to catch up with the party. That's what comes to mind first for me, anyway. I'm not really picky.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Dichotomy said:
My apologies. I was waiting for "Skulk" to act before I did.

Not me. I'm just dead tired. I've not managed to stay awake past 8 p.m. a single night this week. While I dearly love my new teaching position, it is kicking my backside. :)

I'll probably start getting up between 4 to 4:30 a.m. instead of 5 a.m., and then post/email in the mornings. That might work better.

Mark Chance said:
Not me. I'm just dead tired. I've not managed to stay awake past 8 p.m. a single night this week. While I dearly love my new teaching position, it is kicking my backside. :)

I'll probably start getting up between 4 to 4:30 a.m. instead of 5 a.m., and then post/email in the mornings. That might work better.

Ouch!

Sorry to hear life is wearing you out, Mark. Hang in there, and know that we understand if you can't post quite as often as you'd like. :)

At least you like the job, though.

-Krago

Dichotomy said:
My apologies. I was waiting for "Skulk" to act before I did.

Ugh, I'll take the blame on this one, Dichotomy. :eek:

I guess I just made some assumptions that proved not to be valid. So, here are some basics about how we'll run combat.

When you guys get into a scrape, I'll first establish an initiative order. Then, you just need to let me know what your character's intentions are, using as many conditional qualifiers as you feel are relevant/appropriate.

For example: "Tordek will attack the orc with his waraxe until the brute falls, then move on to the next closest enemy and continue the assault. If he falls below 10 hp, he'll withdraw and move adjacent to Jozan in hopes of healing."

Now, obviously, there are plenty of unexpected occurences that might happen (an enemy spellcaster might cast a spell, new enemies enter the combat, etc.) which could disrupt those plans. If they do, I'll pause the action and ask for a new intended course of action. Still, these types of posts help me resolve combats faster, because they do give me a general idea of what your character wants to do.

I should also mention that this method of combat resolution works better at low levels, because there are fewer likely actions that a given character will take. At higher levels the combat becomes so complex that it really has to be resolved round by round.

In any case, there is no need to wait for another character (or enemy) to post his/her actions for a given round. Once I know everyone's intentions, I'll put it all together into a (hopefully) cohesive whole. If I see a sensible course of action that doesn't deviate radically from the PCs intent, and presents no serious drawbacks, I'll take the liberty (as I did in moving William to negate the skulk's cover advantage....in a face to face game, I assume Scotley would have done the same once he was reminded of that fact).

Well, that was long and rambly, but I hope it helps. Please let me know if there are any other questions.

-Krago

Dichotomy

Explorer
Excellent. I personally think that such is a much better way to deal with combat via PbP. It is simply not the way other games I have been in handle it. So all's well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads