(OOC) Fitz's Folly (ToA PBP)

Fradak

Explorer
Just a question, Boss. Chrysagon is still at 17/20 (he took 3 damage during the zombie fight). After a short rest the least he can get is 3 hp (CON +2 and 1 dice). But maybe I missed some damage he took in the ziggurat.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just a question, Boss. Chrysagon is still at 17/20 (he took 3 damage during the zombie fight). After a short rest the least he can get is 3 hp (CON +2 and 1 dice). But maybe I missed some damage he took in the ziggurat.

I didn't see anywhere that you spent HD. I thought maybe you were saving them. If you want to be full, you certainly can be.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
No, you investigate to FIND the trap (or its control panel, or how to get at its mechanism, or whatever) and an ability check to disarm it.

I have to say, as a GM I'm pretty confused by the trap rules. My interpretation of the rules in the DMG was that traps could be detected by perception - even passive perception.

So the monk with really good perception is auto-finding 3/4 of the traps in this big dungeon I'm running... :/

P.S. This is in no way a complaint on how you've been running it. Rather, the rules should be *much* clearer than they are.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
They are absolutely not clear. After much discussion and research, I am confident that you can spot the trap's trigger with a passive (or active) Wis: Perception, or you can "search for traps" with Int: Investigation (Advantage using Thieves' Tools from Xanathar's). Either way, once one or the other of those two things are successfully done, you can disarm a trap with a Dex (Thieves' Tools) check.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
They are absolutely not clear. After much discussion and research, I am confident that you can spot the trap's trigger with a passive (or active) Wis: Perception, or you can "search for traps" with Int: Investigation (Advantage using Thieves' Tools from Xanathar's). Either way, once one or the other of those two things are successfully done, you can disarm a trap with a Dex (Thieves' Tools) check.
That saves me having to dip into Investigation. Harb is wise, but not very smart.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Generally you've got to be wary when it comes to perception, though. (It's actually the weakest of the three proficiencies when it comes to traps.0 It's really good overall, though.

Passive Perception will give you a hint about a trap, but it won't be blatant. For example, if you've got a jacked-up PP of 15 or so, you will spot most sneaky objects (like tarps covering pits or tripwires) but it won't usually be described as "you spot a tripwire". More like, "There's something shiny on the floor". THEN you can pull out your Thieves' Tools (if you have 'em and are proficient) and roll an Investigation check (with advantage) and/or a Dex (TTools) to disarm.

Depends on the trap.

Remove ads