• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ooc] gng - nameless [4/4]

doghead

thotd

Sorry, got caught up in things. We are waiting for me to move things on, which I shall get onto asap.

Will get onto the Build stuff in a moment (geologically speaking).

thotd.

Seonaid

Explorer
I'll be gone from Monday to Monday for a work conference. I'll definitely post Monday morning before I go, but I probably won't be able to post again until late the following Monday. And I definitely won't have reliable access while I'm gone. Do what you will. :)

doghead

thotd
Apologies for the absense of late, been a little under the weather. Hopefully I will be back on my feet by the end of the week-ish.

So Seonaid (Garival) is gone til the 6th, and DrZ til the 15th-ish. I think I will try to keep things moving along as much as I can, however. Anyway, we will see what we can do.

thotd

Seonaid

Explorer
I'm out, kids. Garival, being independent, will do what he thinks is best in all situations. He will defer to others' judgment if it is sound, but if anyone implies he doesn't know what he is doing or tries to run roughshod over him, he'll fight back. Have fun without me.

doghead

thotd
some loose ends.

DrZ: Nate has 1 lb. of the hard metal and 0.5 lb. of the silver metal (which he believes to be adamantine and mithral respectively).

Does Nate carry a shield? He has the AP (shield), but no shield. Perhaps it interferes with his two handed swing.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get DzZ to post an updated Nate in the rg thread?

Seonaid: Garival has 24 unspent skill points. You have 49 in your build, and have spent 25. You could take all of your skills to max (5) and still have 9 skill points left (dare I suggest Heal?)

You are also using daggars. I'd be happy to consider the use of Long Knives (essentially short swords, but sounds cooler) if you wish.

Did you takle a shield? Light steel (+2 defense) or heavy steel (+3 defense)? How about bullets? Back to 20? More?

Rations: You have 16 days of rations in total as at the the end of the current day. Which means 4 days of full rations for everyone. Garival can provide for himself and one other for each +2 over the DC of 10, but it means moving at half his normal rate for the day (which seems kinda harsh). Garival estimates it will take 3-4 more days to reach the swamp. Time, the shaman was at pains to point out, is of the essense according to the bones (but then again, so was the presense of Cromwell, Oscar, Sadolath and Lisa and Hewik). Water should be little problem give the geography. As I read the rules for food, you can go three days, then eat, thus avoiding the Con check. This would allow you to travel for 12 days without the need to look for food. Perhaps a simpler rule of thumb would be you can go for a number of days equal to your Con on half rations without adverse affect.

I could give Garival an outside chance of running down some game while travelling at speed (DC 15, I extra person for each 3 points above the DC). He would need to travel fairly well ahead of the rest of the group though. Thoughts?

Advancement: Advancement outlines/ideas from everyone would be a good idea. It will help me get a better idea of where you would like to take your character. You would not, of course, be held to them.

I'm almost done updating my character sheets. I'll post them when they are do to ensure that they match yours.

thotd.

Maerdwyn

First Post
I'm thinking of using music do do something like calm Nate down should the "beast" be loosed and not want to be leashed again - I'm much more interested in the morale and emotion influencing aspects of bardic music than I am in casting spells, etc.

For advancement, this is where I'm considering going at this point:
-- Build Notes --

Level 3
[8 CP build]
bab: +1[2cp]
bases saves: Will +1 [auto], Ref +1
skills points: 4 [auto], 1 [Human] = +2 Tumble, +1 Bluff, +1 Diplomacy, +1 Perform (Sing)
feats: Bardic Music of some type or another if it seems appropriate that he could have developed that skill by this time. Something like Point Blank Shot (to set up Precise Shot) if not.[5cp]

Level 4
[8 CP build]
bab: +.5
bases saves: Will +1 [auto], Ref +1
skills points: 4 [auto], 1 [Human] = +1 Tumble, +1 Bluff, +1 Diplomacy, +1 Perform (Sing), +1 Perform (Ode)
feats: Bardic Music of some type or another [3cp] Another feat relating to what the group has been doing - another ranged feat, for example [3cp].

I see Fredar as very reactive - he's going to make decisions on what he pursues based on what he thinks he needs (or is interested in) at the time. The things he's always been good at will continue to progress (music, persuasion, etc.), but he doesn't have much of a strategy in terms of the military stuff. The planned Bab increase at 3rd level is a result of seeing his (well Nate's) companions go down in fights, and especially seeing the shaman's hippogriff annihilate an orc who was obviously tougher than Fredar. He sees that he's got to beef up some if he's going to continue to survive.

doghead

thotd
I divided the day into four quarters (early/late morning and early/late afternoon for foraging and direction checks. Movement is at half overland speed etc etc while foraging. Once a day for the former is too infrequent, and every hour for the latter is too often I think.

Seonaid: I'm working on the assumption that Garival is at max ranks (5) for his skills. If Garival does actually have skill points to spare, let me know how you want to allocate them.

OK. Enough dithering by the dog. Decision time.

Maerdwyn: Let's go with your first option (see #220). Bardic Music as an entry ability [5 CP] that has a number of options if the character has sufficient ranks in a perform skill. Additional uses per day can be purchased as progressions [+3 CP]. Perhaps also, increases to the bonuses/targets (normall gained through leveling) can be purchased also as progressions [+3 CP]. For example, Inspire Courage gives a +1 bonus. Inspire Courage II [+3 CP] gives a +2 bonus.

So, Bardic Music [5 CP], 2/day [+3 CP], 3/day [+3 CP], etc.
* Inspire Courage progression: +1 to bonus per progression [+3 CP]. Max +4.
* Inspire Greatness progression: +1 target per progression [+3 CP].

Not sure how to handle the 'Bard Level' aspect of Suggestion (although its not really a problem for the moment).

Given that the character can choose between effects, this model does offer quite a lot of versitility. But the skill ranks restrictions and improvement costs tend to balance that. I've also found that Bardic music tends to benefit others in the group more than the bard themselves.

As you mentioned, Fredar will need to find some in narrative means to gain Bardic Music.

DrZ: Beast Bond [5 CP] is the entry feat allowing access to Rage, Lowlight Vision and Scent as progession feats [+3 CP each]. Taking Lowlight Vision comes with Eye of the Beast (ie: yelloweyes flaw, affecting the characters interaction with others) and Scent comes with Smell Sensitivity (which I'm sure I can find ways to use to make life unpleasant for your character.) You can adjust your L2 build accordingly (+2 CP to spend).

Animal companion will probably not be a progression. But again, not an immediate worry.

So, unless there are any major concerns (seonaid, khavren?), we will go with this. If it turns out to be wildly unbalanced, I'll just hit the reset (aka TPK) button.

thotd

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
Maerdwyn: Let's go with your first option (see #220). Bardic Music as an entry ability [5 CP] that has a number of options if the character has sufficient ranks in a perform skill. Additional uses per day can be purchased as progressions [+3 CP]. Perhaps also, increases to the bonuses/targets (normall gained through leveling) can be purchased also as progressions [+3 CP]. For example, Inspire Courage gives a +1 bonus. Inspire Courage II [+3 CP] gives a +2 bonus.

So, Bardic Music [5 CP], 2/day [+3 CP], 3/day [+3 CP], etc.
* Inspire Courage progression: +1 to bonus per progression [+3 CP]. Max +4.
* Inspire Greatness progression: +1 target per progression [+3 CP].

Not sure how to handle the 'Bard Level' aspect of Suggestion (although its not really a problem for the moment).

Given that the character can choose between effects, this model does offer quite a lot of versitility. But the skill ranks restrictions and improvement costs tend to balance that. I've also found that Bardic music tends to benefit others in the group more than the bard themselves.

As you mentioned, Fredar will need to find some in narrative means to gain Bardic Music.

I think that makes sense, with a possible quesion about of the additonal feats to incress effectiveness of things like inspire courage - just thinking out loud here. How does this relate to a spell like Magic Missile or fireball, which increase in effectiveness as caster level increases? In other words, if a mage's spells get better simply by spending points on caster level, there would seems to be an analogy with gaining additional levels of bard music. The level of flexibility and cost seems pretty comparable (if not somewhat more in favor of the mage or cleric caster). If that's not the way you see it, that's cool too, and I'll go with the above.

For suggestion and other things based on "Bard Level", how about this. A regular D&D bard gets one use of bardic music per level, per day. So, his uses per day is a good measure of what his level is. In your system, maybe the number of uses per day, therefore, equals the effective bard level of the character?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads