OOC - Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen - 14th Level Dungeon Crawl

Kafkonia

First Post
Malvoisin said:
@Kafkonia: Interesting concept. Can you give me more details about the Chaotician PrC? I don't own the new Planes book, so I am in the dark on that.

Sure. The fluff is: Chaticians are part of the Xaositects, who like to enjoy the phenomena of chaos.

Crunch:
-Good BAB, good REF, poor WILL & FORT.
-d10 HD, 4+int skills.
-Proficient with simple & martial weapons, all armour and shields.
-1st level "Chaotic Contagion" -- melee touch attack causes target to take -2 AC against attacks made by character, -2 on saves to resist character's spells/abilities, -2 on skills opposed by character. Will save vs. 10+class level+CHA negates and gives immunity for 24 hours. Effect lasts 1 hour per class level.
-1st level "Scofflaw" -- divination by lawful characters difficult; effect of a nondetection spell only vs. lawful alignment. Check vs. 15+class level+cha. Suppressed/resumed as free action.
-2nd level "Anarchic Grace" -- Once per day, gains 50% miss chance, even against true seeing. Free action to activate, lasts for class level rounds. Afterwards, character is fatigued for one minute. At 4th level, can be used 2/day.
-3rd level "Babble" -- Once per day, generate 10 foot radius emanation that turns all sounds into noise. Verbal communication impossible, spells with verbal components can't be cast, verbal triggers don't work, sonic effects and damage have no effect.
-3rd level "Clarity of Confusion" -- +2 insight bonus on saves against illusion (pattern), enchantment (compulsion), and lawful spells.

At fifth level, he'd get a reroll ability, but I'm not sure about the mechanics of that in PbP so I was probably going to head in another direction.

Saracor

Explorer
Owning a number of these modules, this one has to be one of my favorites. I found a well balanced party is really necessary. As the GM, be wary of strange builds (the feral barabarian I had one time was a real pain in some encounters but nearly useless in others). I can certainly say this one is a real challenge for a party and takes a good amount of thinking to get things done. Good luck everyone!

Tinner

First Post
Malvoisin said:
@Tinner: Hmm, I'm torn. I find the concept very interesting, and I feel that counterspelling is a very under-utilized game mechanic. Having said that, I'm just not sure that this character would be able to be used to his full potential in this game. What role do you see him playing when not facing an enemy spellcaster?

Well, since you mentioned that you wanted five PC for this adventure, there's almost no better character to fill that 5th slot than a bard.
His spells give him a secondary role as a healer, his fighting abilities let him snipe and flank almost as well as a rogue, he can handle traps and locks almost as well as the rogue too. With some of the spells from the Spell Compendium added in, he can dish out damage like an arcane blaster too.
Don't forget the major buffing abilities either! At 14th level a bard is capable of greatly enhancing his team's combat abilities. He can also respond to nearly any situation they are in. First with the counterspells, but he can also break enchantments, fascinate intelligent opponents, etc.
Of course, he's a bard, so he's never going to be the front line fighter, or the main healer, or the blaster. Instead, he's the backup player, jack of all trades and utility infielder. And if the cleric goes down, who else is going to be able to get him moving again? If the rogue is off scouting, who's going to handle the locked door? If the fighter's going toe-to-toe with the BBEG, who's going to handle his number one henchman? The bard, that's who.
Now I don't know how liberal you are with the Bardic Knowledge class feature, but at 14 level a bard can identify magic items, cast Legend Lore to learn hidden secrets, and with the Obscure Knowledge feat, some decent ranks in Gather Information, Diplomacy and Bluff, a bard can suss out nearly any hidden secret. As a DM, you've got no better friend than a bard if you need to get information to the PC's.

So IMO, a bard would be the perfect fifth PC for this adventure. He can serve as a backup for any other class, and adds enough unique abilities to make him and interesting and viable character. Bards are incredibly versatile, and a lot of fun.

Hope you think so too. ;)

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Ok then :: Salutes:: boss

Let me comb my material and see what I can do any limitations on material? Do you count Dragon Magazine or only published WOTC books? Campaign specific material? Just so I know what I can look at.

I will get a spell sheet up here shortly after I stop getting scorched by the sun

Fenris

Adventurer
I've been keeping an eye on this thread and have decided to toss in a concept as well.

Out of the desert he comes. A lone figure stalking the desolate wastes. He has traveled over much of the desert. He was born here, he will die here. And he knows the desert better than anyone. He can find water where others cannot. He can find food, shelter all in the face of the implacable sun. He hunts the men and beasts who cross the desert into his people's territory. Asking for respect from those who have entered unknowingly, dealing death to those who are enemies of his people.

The swirling sands obscure the footprints of those who have come tomost eyes. But he can find the smallest spore to follow. He is a tireless hunter following his quarry over dune and rock. In the distance, a black speck, his prey. In a heartbeat a flurry of arrows sails out across the desert, and the speck wavers, then falls to be consumed by the desert.

So I am thinking a ranger. Most likely human, but maybe a desert elf. A bedouin either way. Someone who knows the desert very well and can survive for days out there. Focused on ranged combat, so archery feats (Precise shot, rapid shot) etc. I might look at Horizon Walker or a level of rogue or fighter. But Ranger would be the main deal. His limited spells would help with survival (finding food and water) or hunting and of course a back up healer.

Favored enemy would be a desert specific creature or race, depending on ho you want to run it. His animal companion could be a falcon or maybe a horse. I would need to look at the list and run what would work by you.

Pinotage

Explorer
Malvoisin said:
@Pinotage: Nice description on both of your concepts, and I like them both! Well done, not much for me to add.

Cool! I look forward to playing if I get in. First game here on ENWorld, but an old hand of 5 years on other sites. PbP is the only way I play these days, and I love it! :D

For what it's worth, I tend to expand a lot on histories and background in play as I develop a character - sometimes the starting concept is just that, a concept. Once I get a feel for the character, there's opportunity to develop it further. It's one of the things I like about PbP games - character development is a lot easier.

Pinotage

D20Dazza

Explorer
Malvoisin said:
@D20Dazza: Catfolk! I love it! I agree with you, this adventure could easily support more than one roguish character. All of your options have merit, and I would probably ask you to develop one specifically, based on the mix of other PCs in the group.

Groovy, glad to see we'e on a similiar wave length. ;) I'm keen to start working on the background so is there one build you see as being the most useful? I know, too keen :D

Rayex

First Post
Being a son of a nomad Royce early on learned the dangers of the desert. It was fated, he now "knows", that the tribe would be exterminated. It had been an exceptionally hot night on the dunes and the gurads was tired and unfocused. The savage orcs went through the camp like a hot knife through butter. None were left alive - except Royce. He was lucky and survived, but not unhurt. He suffered a vicious blow to the head that would forever leave him slightly addled. He wandered alone for days, crawling from one oasis to another. One day his strength ended, and he fell asleep.

Ten, or so, years later he woke up in the desert again. Any recollection of past years were gone, but a new-found strength of mind had surfaced. He soon encountered a band of goblins, bickering amongst themselves and tossing around the remains of what looked like a elven baby. A fury filled his mind, and his vision was blurry as he attacked the goblins without fear. Minutes later the goblins were no more, all that remained was ashes and bones. Amazed at his own, till now unknown, abilities Royce started to carefully tap into his now considerable powers. He could throw around spells of destruction with ease - and spells dealing with fire even more easily.

So now he wanders the desert seeking for anything that might tell him what he did the last ten years and where his powers came from.

Royce will be a Desert Elf (from Unearthed Arcana, if allowed) Warmage 10 / Elemental Savant 4, focusing on fire spells.
He will have high intelligence and semi-high charisma, but quite low wisdom. He is smart, but lack common sense.
He will probably suffer from at least one phobia, thinking of water.
He'll be an offensive character by all means, foregoing any armor or such to better be able to damage his enemies.
Most likely Chaotic Neutral.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Malvoisin said:
@Steve Gorak: In theory, playing a Mystic Theurge is acceptable. Please try to settle on a specific build (that doesn't violate any alighment restrictions ;) ), as this will make it easier for me to evaluate your character.

OK, sorry about that (derp!)! For some reason, I thought that the bard could be anything with a neutral alignment (it's been ages since I played one).

So, keeping things simple (and legal): Sorceror 5 / Ur-Priest 2 / MT 7 with the Education feat (from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Sourcebook - All Knowledge skills are class skills for you. +1 on each of two Knowledge skills of your choice.).

Alternatively, maybe human paragon 3/Sorceror 2 / Ur-Priest 2 / MT 7

Same character concept, with minor differences ( I haven't decided if I want to loose 1 level of Sorceror (1st option) to trade it for extra HP, an extra feat , and extra HP).

Whatever the case, it's all kosher and all pre-requisites can be met! ;)

Feat selection will include: Cosmopolitan (if applicable), a bunch of metamagic feats & possibly divine metamagic (from Complete Divine) with extra turning.

I like the idea of his alignment changing from N to E and back to N, and being Loyal is key for this concept to work.

So, I'm waiting for approval before doing all the work.
Thanks and cheers!

SG

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hee...that's one reason I posted so many. I tend to come up with tons of ideas, so it's easy for me to fit into a party.

However, given where others are going, I can see "openings" either in a utility mage slot (possibly a Beguiler, which would complement the warmage very well) and in the heavy duty meatshield slot. I'm thinking the dragon disciple idea I have would be excellent for that, since in one measeley level he'll be immune to fire...and thus he can rush into melee, and the Warmage can freely blast away with fireballs, meteor swarms, etc etc...and Kuma won't mind a bit. :)

Spikey Chain Duskblade would also work decently, since he can attack with reach, which makes avoiding him with AoE's that much easier.

Agh, so many ideas... Do any seem especially appropriate for developing? I suppose I should wait and see if I'm actually in first. :)

Remove ads