• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Metal Joe / Black Ops d20 Modern - FULL!

Krizzel

First Post
Concerning the fire fight...

I think 'nearly defeated' is stretching it a little... ;)

IIRC (and I'm too tired to look it up ATM), you guys took them out in four or five rounds - that's thirty seconds. Pretty short for a firefight - especially one involving cover, concealment, and fair range. And none of you took any hits (only Wraith even came close). I should also mention that these guys were far from first level, though they were 'ordinaries' (read: flunky NPC type in Modern, vs. full character abilities).

OTOH, I don't think it would've went so 'well' for them without a lucky roll (the non-suprised guy got a Nat20 on a spot check) - otherwise they would have been a lot closer before anything happened, and a little easier to hit. Rolling a 20 was the only way they were going to be able to see you. A couple bad rolls to hit before he could dive behind cover, and then the situation developed from there. I don't cheat on rolls at all for either side, and I've suffered under bad rolls as a player so I can empathize with that.

But the point about the seeming relative difficulty of the encounter is well taken. Some work on characters may help with that, but I think also just making it through more encounters is what's going to do the trick. Modern is still a new system, and from my brief experiences it seems pretty different than D&D in the way it plays. It's still hard for me to say how good a +6 to hit is, or how tough MAS 14 is (massive damage threshold). Working through the statistics is one thing, but seeing how it behaves in action is something else.

Anyway, a long way of saying I hear what ya'll are saying, and I'll put some thought to it. And realize at the same time that some things are going to end up easier than they should have been, and some harder. Hopefully it all equalizes in the end (and certainly the good and bad rolls spread pretty well).

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Thats cool Krizz. Like I said, sometimes the dice just roll against you.

I could recreate my character if you want. I've got Ultramodern Firearms now.

Whatever you decide, I'll probably be fine with. Are you thinking of starting over?

Krizzel

First Post
I was thinking it might be a good idea if most people are looking to do some revision. It also feels to me like we need some new blood, and that might be an easier way to incorporate it.

However in starting over I think I'd want to do the following:

- Lower starting level to 3rd. This way it's easier to adapt to the game situation by building the character as we go along. I can also give out entire levels at the beginning this way (starting at 6th I was intending to just give straight experience and not try to level everyone up on purpose). Also makes creating the characters a little easier.

- Provide decent bonuses for Primary and Secondary specialties. I've got some of this worked out already. I think this would help make the characters a little stronger.

- Restrict equipment a little more. Basically you'd have whatever is assigned to you, plus whatever you can buy for yourself with your personal wealth bonus (no need to buy liscenses though). I'll also be adding some more to the equipment list (thinking particularly about the M240 and M249 at the moment; also the AT-4).

Probably some other things I'm not thinking of right now. Basically anything to make the game tighter, more focused, less complicated, etc..

Krizzel

First Post
And I thought of something right away. New occupations.

Probably keeping Law Enforcement, then splitting up the 'Military' into Army/Air Force/Navy/Marines/Special Forces. All of them with a decent and different bonus.

KitanaVorr

First Post
Krizzel said:
And I thought of something right away. New occupations.

Probably keeping Law Enforcement, then splitting up the 'Military' into Army/Air Force/Navy/Marines/Special Forces. All of them with a decent and different bonus.

oh yeah...MARINES! all the way for me...I'll be nagging you on that, don't you worry.

;)

I'm planning on reworking Kai - er not making her SO pyscho or anti-social as well....hehe

Krizzel

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Are we talking about a completly new game, or a variation of the mission we are on now?
Same setup and background/world info, but a different mission. The San Carmo mission will still take place, but I'm not sure if I'd save it for you guys to do later as soon as you get up around 5th/6th, or have NPCs do it and let it be referenced in the background. But that isn't important to the fact that starting over would be new/semi-new characters on a new mission.

Remove ads