• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

tglassy

Adventurer
Just read a post somewhere that says they treat Green Dragoj Breath like mustard gas or riot gas, so holding your breath, while better than breathing it in, won’t eliminate all the damage.

When focused on Adaptive Body, Primus doesn’t need to breath. Unfortunately, while Adaptive Body allows him to give resistance or immunity to all the other dragon types, our Dracolich is a Green Dragon, and breaths poison gas. I can’t help with that.

But didn’t we have it so Auraia and Terrus would get resistance by holding their breath or something like that? It takes up his Psionic Focus, and he wouldn’t be able to change it while in the green gas cloud, but it’d be something.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So it's not an "energy" we can use some sort of energy-resistance spell/effect to protect ourselves again? Instead we need poison resistance. Or would it be necromantic because it's a dracolich? Maybe Imani will have some advice.

I'll note that boosting saves will help in general - the paladin's aura and bless spells might help a lot. But it would be better if we could add even more resistance... I'm not familiar with 5e's dragon, but in general dragon breath *hurts*.

But maybe the game will not be to confront him directly, but find an alternate way to put him down? I don't know the plot of this adventure :p

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You shouldn't have to worry about confronting Dretchroyaster directly for quite awhile. He's way beyond you ATM.

I think I let Auraia and Terrus have resistance against SOME of the poison effects in the Vault because of the not-breathing thing, but it wouldn't help at all against Dretchroyaster's breath. He does Poison AND Necrotic. Remember, you didn't really ever actually fight with him, just his 'wimpy' simulacra.

THIS game is going to be a whole other thing. You'll see. But yes. Expect Dragons.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I still think we can take him.

Well... Now I'm metagaming heavily but...

If our illustrious DM is merging the dracolitch into the rise of the dragonqueen (which is about Tiamat right?), it means that something *potent* has occurred to Dretchroyaster. He's not just an "ordinary" dracolitch anymore... Dretchroyaster has been... elevated, somehow, to something greater. This will probably cause the cult of the dragon - who are obsessed about these things - to rally behind him with renewed strength and fanaticism, as well as lesser evil dragons.

Before we can face Dretchroyaster, we will need to perhaps quest for some ancient weapon/artifact/ritual/ally/mcguffin, and face many of his lesser allies.

ooooor something entirely different!

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Well... Now I'm metagaming heavily but...

If our illustrious DM is merging the dracolitch into the rise of the dragonqueen (which is about Tiamat right?), it means that something *potent* has occurred to Dretchroyaster. He's not just an "ordinary" dracolitch anymore... Dretchroyaster has been... elevated, somehow, to something greater. This will probably cause the cult of the dragon - who are obsessed about these things - to rally behind him with renewed strength and fanaticism, as well as lesser evil dragons.

Before we can face Dretchroyaster, we will need to perhaps quest for some ancient weapon/artifact/ritual/ally/mcguffin, and face many of his lesser allies.

ooooor something entirely different!

I still think we can take him.

tglassy

Adventurer
Lol. It would heavily depend on strategy, and more than a little luck. CR is a guideline, but never underestimate a dedicated party’s ability to screw up the DM’s plans.

tglassy

Adventurer
We’d have to surprise it, and we’d have to be spread out, so the dragon breath could only catch one person, with two people able to be caught in it who are prepared in some way with either resistances or immunities, presenting a tempting target (since both can be hit at once). Then, we’d need a way to restrain it, either with grappling or something, preferably while it is prone so it can’t get up. Having a Paladin to help counter the Fear would be nice, and if course, everyone would need to have full resources.

Restrained, prone, having used up its breath and making the Fear useless, the surprise round would be used making it as impotent as possible, and then its a matter of using all the nova abilities, preferably after its cursed so it has disadvantage on whatever saving throw would be most useful. Even with Legendary Action Attacks, if it can only attack those close to it, then we make sure those targets are limited. Drop an anti magic field around it so it can’t cast spells, and we’re golden.

And Primus can grapple with his mind.

Remove ads