• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Is it a special skill to check for traps? In know in older editions only rogues could find traps over a certain DC. Is there any reason Morgan can't search for traps? His investigation is +7. If someone is better, I'll just aid.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Is it a special skill to check for traps? In know in older editions only rogues could find traps over a certain DC. Is there any reason Morgan can't search for traps? His investigation is +7. If someone is better, I'll just aid.
No, you can totally check for traps yourself.

I'm just 1) used to players working together for stuff; 2) used to people calling "rogue!" when they want a chest checked, regardless of people's investigation skill.

You're right though - It's actually a thing in 5e that most rogues aren't really all that good a checking for traps, while wizards are.

I only mentioned it at all because you didn't volunteer to do it. (I realize now that it was because you had thought that it was already open).

No, you can totally check for traps yourself.

I'm just 1) used to players working together for stuff; 2) used to people calling "rogue!" when they want a chest checked, regardless of people's investigation skill.

You're right though - It's actually a thing in 5e that most rogues aren't really all that good a checking for traps, while wizards are.

I only mentioned it at all because you didn't volunteer to do it. (I realize now that it was because you had thought that it was already open).
I’m happy to cooperate but the rest of the party is busy securing the parameter. He’s happy to wait to open the chest until someone else looks it over.

Speaking of wizards and checking for traps, Isn't it actually an arcana check to either check or, maybe, disable magical traps?? I’ll look that up because I might be misremembering.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I think it is investigation to discover it (excepting maybe magical traps) and thieves tools to disable the trap?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I’m happy to cooperate but the rest of the party is busy securing the parameter. He’s happy to wait to open the chest until someone else looks it over.

Speaking of wizards and checking for traps, Isn't it actually an arcana check to either check or, maybe, disable magical traps?? I’ll look that up because I might be misremembering.
It can be, if the DM wants to do it that way. I usually do. (Which is why you knew that Thegger's Spellbook was likely trapped. Anything that is fluffed as a "rune" (or other magical scribbles) that does some magical thing based on a situational trigger. I usually let rogues (or by extension, characters trained in thieves' tools) carefully depower the rune by rubbing out an important part of the symbol with a brush/charcoal/whatever, too, so it's not exclusive to arcana, even if that's needed to understand how it was made.

I usually allow other skills to deal with mundane traps too. For example, sometimes they just need to be smashed.

At any rate, this is all no big deal. It's always a dilemma in PBP: As DM, to engage with posters who are posting, or wait for other players to post. In a "real life" game, I would always make sure everyone had a chance to say things (or be included) before moving on, or doing a second thing with a first player, but in PBP, sometimes it seems best to just keep going.

@MetaVoid
i think we are waiting for a short rest so you can spend some HD. I found a potion but it seems like a poor use of resources to use it now but that’s not up to me. If people want, we can feed Vrair Vairar (I’ve been spelling the name wrong this whole time) the potion.

@MetaVoid
i think we are waiting for a short rest so you can spend some HD. I found a potion but it seems like a poor use of resources to use it now but that’s not up to me. If people want, we can feed Vrair Vairar (I’ve been spelling the name wrong this whole time) the potion.
Don't do that! I can heal, just need to wake up. Short rest is fine, but healing should come first because I need to do some lengthy rituals :) and we don't know if we'll have the time for short rest

Don't do that! I can heal, just need to wake up. Short rest is fine, but healing should come first because I need to do some lengthy rituals :) and we don't know if we'll have the time for short rest
I’m not sure anyone has the means to get you conscious. It’s either a short rest to let you use your HD to recover or 1d4 hours for you to recover 1 hp naturally. Or, anyways, my character can’t get Vairar conscious.

Remove ads